AMD releases official vBios update for Fury X and Nano cards - Improves UEFI and Overclocking

goodtofufriday

Sources: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-official-uefi-vbios-for-fury-x-released-apr-5th.221766/

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/gpu-firmware-download

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/04/05/radeon-r9-fury-nano-uefi-firmware

In a nutshell, with the new bios users have been able to achieve slightly higher overclocks that are stable, and according to AMD also provides better compatibility with UEFI bios. This should lead to faster boot up and over all better stability. 

Being an owner of both the fury x and a nano I want to give these a shot, but installation is not cut and dry. Unless you are familiar with command line and are able to stay calm if you brick one of your two bios then I wouldn't attempt it. 

Its great to see AMD still striving to make their cards even a little bit better. Im sure the experience they garner here will help out with their new cards a lot.

We’ve been watching and listening when you’ve been asking about the status of a UEFI VBIOS for certain Radeon™ GPUs. Those of you who know what that is are likely quite interested in reading the rest of this blog, and you’ll be pleased to know that we have a solution for you.

Since the advent of the Radeon™ R9 300 and Fury Series GPUs, our board manufacturing partners (“AIBs”) have had access to source code suitable for building customized UEFI-based firmwares. Many AIBs have already transitioned to UEFI by including this code in their custom firmware images, or have implemented solutions like “dual-BIOS” switches to work around the potential issues with BIOS-based motherboards. Today, it’s quite easy to find a UEFI-compliant Radeon™ R9 300 or Fury Series GPU that enables a pure EFI boot environment and the fastest boot modes.

As a result, today we are releasing AMD-built UEFI-compliant GPU firmware for the Radeon™ R9 Fury X and R9 Nano GPUs. These firmware images can be flashed to any Radeon™ R9 Fury X and R9 Nano GPU, respectively, to enable UEFI compliance and a pure EFI boot environment.

Edit: Lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

7 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

provides better comparability with UEFI bios. This should lead to fazster boot up and over all better stability. 

Do you mean compatibility?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do you mean compatibility?

Yeah. Thats what I get for typing too fast.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Wow I didn't know that AIB partners had to add in UEFI support; I thought AMD cards were all had an UEFI GOP bios since the 7xxx series. Improving overclocking through a bios update sounds a lot like R9 390's secret sauce bios tweaks compared to the 290. 

Or just buy a Nitro Fury. This is the best Fiji card out there right now.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I am still confused about the status of R9 Fury in this... it vaguely mentions all three Fiji variants, but provides the firmware only for Fury X and Nano.

still, can someone confirm on the overclocking benefits? I'm not really interested in flashing the cards just for giggles to improve boot times... don't care about boot times...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Nice. Would like to see difference, though bricking a card... gotta be careful.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |