Post Secondary, Bachelors Degree or Career College

seabass9990

My Audio Post Production teacher warned me it would happen, she said during second semester grade 11 (ON, Canada) is when students panic and realize just how soon they will be leaving for college or university, and now that is exactly whats happening to me.

I have narrowed my options down to a couple of Career colleges that are focused in the industry I want to go into (audio engineering and post production) and a couple of University courses

for the curious the career colleges are Metal Works in Toronto Ontario and OIART in London Ontario and the universities are Sheridan in Oakville (fist choice overall) Humber Toronto area and Wilfred Laurier Brantford.

My problem is I cannot find any information on whether it is better to go to a very specific and focused career college and only get a Diploma, but from a mostly reputable school, or go to a Uni program and (in Sheridan's case) get an advanced bachelors in media arts specializing my studies in audio coming from a large university or a bit less reputable for its specific program.

TLDR; or for those who cannot read my terrible grammars; Is a specialized college diploma in audio engineering better than a more generalized (but focused study in the last year) Advanced Bachelors degree for Film and TV media arts, or more likely to get me hired post education.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

What's the difference in price for the program? 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

5 hours ago, Deletive said:

What's the difference in price for the program? 

College is $31000 approx and uni is about 9k a semester for 5 is years

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

6 hours ago, seabass9990 said:

College is $31000 approx and uni is about 9k a semester for 5 is years

If the cost of university and the more generalized degree is worth then I say go for university as it'll give more opportunity out of the door
The College degree would allow you to be flexible though being cheaper means you could go back to school and get another degree to broaden your opportunities and skills, well sitll being less.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

3 hours ago, Deletive said:

If the cost of university and the more generalized degree is worth then I say go for university as it'll give more opportunity out of the door
The College degree would allow you to be flexible though being cheaper means you could go back to school and get another degree to broaden your opportunities and skills, well sitll being less.

This is true but lets say money is no object, its just one or the other

1 minute ago, seabass9990 said:

This is true but lets say money is no object, its just one or the other

Then the university look like a better option, I would say then. 

But I don't know about ontario, but in the west coast (vancouver and stuff) That would be a really nice degree considering the amount of films and such here. 

Computing enthusiast. 

14 hours ago, Deletive said:

Then the university look like a better option, I would say then. 

But I don't know about ontario, but in the west coast (vancouver and stuff) That would be a really nice degree considering the amount of films and such here. 

Toronto is pretty big in the industry as well so yea, thanks for the advice.

On 2016-04-17 at 7:31 PM, seabass9990 said:

My Audio Post Production teacher warned me it would happen, she said during second semester grade 11 (ON, Canada) is when students panic and realize just how soon they will be leaving for college or university, and now that is exactly whats happening to me.

I have narrowed my options down to a couple of Career colleges that are focused in the industry I want to go into (audio engineering and post production) and a couple of University courses

for the curious the career colleges are Metal Works in Toronto Ontario and OIART in London Ontario and the universities are Sheridan in Oakville (fist choice overall) Humber Toronto area and Wilfred Laurier Brantford.

My problem is I cannot find any information on whether it is better to go to a very specific and focused career college and only get a Diploma, but from a mostly reputable school, or go to a Uni program and (in Sheridan's case) get an advanced bachelors in media arts specializing my studies in audio coming from a large university or a bit less reputable for its specific program.

TLDR; or for those who cannot read my terrible grammars; Is a specialized college diploma in audio engineering better than a more generalized (but focused study in the last year) Advanced Bachelors degree for Film and TV media arts, or more likely to get me hired post education.

I think it's worth clarifying for those who might not know:

Humber and Sheridan are both advanced technical Colleges, whereas Wildred Laurier is a traditional University. In Ontario (And the rest of Canada, really), Colleges and Universities are not the same thing.

With that in mind, Sheridan and Humber are both offering advanced degrees, in which you still earn a University degree. Many Colleges offer these types of programs, often in partnership with a local University.

I would personally opt for the Advanced Degree out of Sheridan or Humber - depending on which area you like more - Oakville or Toronto. The advanced degree hosted by a college will give you a mix of both traditional University and College education, giving you the best of both.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Find a three year bachelor's degree in United Kingdom. These are really specialized degrees that will bring you benefits of your  two previous options + industrial placement opportunities. PM me if you want some more advice.

2 hours ago, InsanelySecretD said:

Find a three year bachelor's degree in United Kingdom. These are really specialized degrees that will bring you benefits of your  two previous options + industrial placement opportunities. PM me if you want some more advice.

You know he's Canadian... right? And lives in Canada? Saying to go to school in another country is kind of a massive step above what he was asking about.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You know he's Canadian... right? And lives in Canada? Saying to go to school in another country is kind of a massive step above what he was asking about.

Oh, yeah - I fully realize that, but if he wants to get an education without any compromises (i.e. a specialized course with a Bachelor's title) , he needs to step out of his comfort zone and consider UK. More than 200k international students per year do that, so he wouldn't be alone :)

6 hours ago, InsanelySecretD said:

Oh, yeah - I fully realize that, but if he wants to get an education without any compromises (i.e. a specialized course with a Bachelor's title) , he needs to step out of his comfort zone and consider UK. More than 200k international students per year do that, so he wouldn't be alone :)

And more than 336k international students choose Canada per year, so... yeah :P

http://www.cbie.ca/about-ie/facts-and-figures/

Not that we're competing or anything...

I'm totally competing /s

3 minutes ago, InsanelySecretD said:

Actually, UK HEI recognize Canada as one of the major competitors... :P

Thanks for offering your help but I have no desire to leave North america, and even canada if I can.