5820K Disabling cores for better performance

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
5 hours ago, Ronnie76 said:

You can do individual core overclocking

Disabling 2 cores is literally the stupidest thing you could EVER do 

Remember, if every core is producing 60c the core temp wont go above 60c, 

6 cores at 60c each is an average of 60c

4 cores at 60c is an average of 60c

Disabling cores really will not help you.

Yeah, not so much.  You're actually way off on your guess.  The same thing will happen with your 4790k if you went from 4 to 2.  Average and peak temp will drop.  This is a fact.  

Making bold and profound statements like "is literally the stupidest thing you could EVER do" doesn't make anyone believe your guess on what would happen any more believable.

The OP is absolutely correct about the fact that reducing cores lowers overall temps.  A 5960x at 4 cores requires less voltage, produces less heat and in my case definitely overclocks higher than it would at 8 cores.  

If I want to run a benchmark that benefits from single threaded performance, I turn off some cores and crank up the multiplier.  If I am going to run Cinebench or some other multi threaded benchmark, I use all cores at a lower clock rate.  Trust me, I'd love to keep it at the same clock rate as I would with 4 cores, but it's just not happening.

With all of this said, I ran a couple of really quick AIDA64 CPU stresses to show an apples to apples comparison.  Note that in addition to the fact that average temps (graph) took a notable drop with 4 cores, the VRM was running substantially cooler.  I would say that water temp was a negligible difference in favor of 4 cores.

As the OP was suggesting, 4 cores would run cooler than 6, would require less voltage at the same given frequency, and could potentially overclock better when single core/thread performance matters.

I don't see anywhere in his post where he suggested that 4 cores at a higher frequency was more powerful than 6 at a lower.  I just think he understands that there are benefits to being able to curtail your overclock and core use to what you need at that moment.

Capture 8 core.JPG

Capture 4 core.JPG

Hi, 

I am planing on a new build for this summer, I will be using my PC almost exclusively for gaming. 

At first I thought about going for a 6700K but as I got more informed about the grand scheme of things in the tech world I got to the conclusion that the right path was the 5820K : 

- Direct X12, Vulcan and future game optimizations all point towards a better spreading of the work load throughout the CPU cores, giving multi-core performance a go against single core performance. 
- 5820K when overclocked almost matches an overclocked 6700K. 
- The 5820K has a better value in Price/performance overall. 
- And finally, the point I would like to confirm :  
          You can disable two cores on the 5820K, preferably cherry picking the two worse performing core, and therefore increasing the overall remaining silicon quality. 
           This makes the 4 core 5820K more stable, and easier to cool down as less cores produce less heat. 
All this should result in a quite significant advantage for the 5820K over the 6700K when overclocked. 

What do you think ? 
Is it possible ? Advisable to do so? 

Thanks for your input. 

Yes you can turn off two cores per bios, I don't necessarily think it's going to be per say more stable... but temps should be a bit lower. All about that silicon lottery.

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

3 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

Why would you intentionally disable 2 of the cores on your six-core chip? They don't produce that much more heat, like 5 degrees tops.

And disabling two cores isn't going to improve single-core performance. At all.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Silicon quality doesn't increase due to disabling a couple cores. You are just taking the potentially shittier cores out of the overall equation. It might increase stability when overclocking, but it's not guaranteed. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Why would you intentionally disable 2 of the cores on your six-core chip? They don't produce that much more heat, like 5 degrees tops.

And disabling two cores isn't going to improve single-core performance. At all.

Because disabling the two lowest performing cores will raise my overall remaining core score and overclockability, not to mention the temperature headroom. 

a good concept of approaching things

but disabling the cores probably wont yield a higher overclock if your processor is kept cool enough in the first place

and you can overclock each core independently so disabling them might allow the other cores to run faster but naah... no one would do that `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, jwakeford said:

Because disabling the two lowest performing cores will raise my overall remaining core score[.]

How so?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If you are really worried about heat and energy over computational power then yes,

But, thats like buying a mustang and reducing the engine to that of a focus, all the cost and potential but work went into making it weaker but cheaper to operate per second. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, jwakeford said:

Because disabling the two lowest performing cores will raise my overall remaining core score and overclockability, not to mention the temperature headroom. 

You might as well just go with a 6700k at that point unless you need the PCI lanes

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

I think your confusing clockrate as being directly equal to flops or power

3.2*4 > 4.0*2 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How so?

Because the way I understand it, the overall overclock is based on the weakest core ? If I put my two weakest cores to sleep, my overclock will be based on the four best and make it seem as if I won the silicon lottery on 4 cores 

Just now, jwakeford said:

Because the way I understand it, the overall overclock is based on the weakest core ? If I put my two weakest cores to sleep, my overclock will be based on the four best and make it seem as if I won the silicon lottery on 4 cores 

you can tweak the multiplier for each core independently if im not mistaken?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Not... not really. If that were the case, the overclock on the four cores would be better by such a tiny amount that you would have cancelled it out by disabling two whole cores. It just isn't worth it, you're sacrificing a third of your total cores for a boost in overclockability that likely won't even exist or raise single core performance at all.

And the temperature difference between a 4-core 5820K and a 6-core 5820K is going to be very very small.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

7 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

You can do individual core overclocking

Disabling 2 cores is literally the stupidest thing you could EVER do 

Remember, if every core is producing 60c the core temp wont go above 60c, 

6 cores at 60c each is an average of 60c

4 cores at 60c is an average of 60c

Disabling cores really will not help you.

I kind of think you're better off going with 6600k exclusively for gaming. I doubt you will bottleneck with that CPU in games for quite a while. Yes games may utilize more cores, but as the reliance on more cores increases so will the standard of single core performance. In other words, the 5820K won't future proof you any more. 

3 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

You can technically overclock individual cores, though the benefit of that is debatable. Here's my question for you: How do you know which cores are the worst? You can't pick and choose what cores you want to disable I don't think. 

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you can tweak the multiplier for each core independently if im not mistaken?

not really you tweak the multiplier for active core count

Don't disable cores... but if you do... well then you get more cache than 6700K as well...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

26 minutes ago, z97 said:

You might as well just go with a 6700k at that point unless you need the PCI lanes

The way I saw it, this tweak would make my 5820K = 6700K performance in gaming as of now, 
while still getting those two extra cores for when games would start requiring more cpu cores with the spreading of DX12 games. 

20 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can technically overclock individual cores, though the benefit of that is debatable. Here's my question for you: How do you know which cores are the worst? You can't pick and choose what cores you want to disable I don't think. 

I think you know that when overclocking individual cores. And as for picking which to disable I believe it can be done in the UEFI ? but i'm not sure, so if someone could confirm. 

I think you know that when overclocking individual cores. And as for picking which to disable I believe it can be done in the UEFI ? but i'm not sure, so if someone could confirm. 

You can't choose them I don't think. They just disable.

33 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Silicon quality doesn't increase due to disabling a couple cores. You are just taking the potentially shittier cores out of the overall equation. It might increase stability when overclocking, but it's not guaranteed. 

Actually, you are wrong. the core running is selected randomly. It makes a massive difference, run SuperPi with 4 Cores at an unstable OC, then do it at 1 Core no HT, Gurantee it will work.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

Actually, you are wrong. the core running is selected randomly.

I don't know what I stated as wrong.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't know what I stated as wrong.

That you take potentially shittier cores out of the equation, and that it might increase oc stability, it isnt a might, it is an is.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

That you take potentially shittier cores out of the equation, and that it might increase oc stability, it isnt a might, it is an is.

OC stability is dependent on individual cores. If the cores can't sustain the frequency, OC will not be stable regardless. 

8 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

The way I saw it, this tweak would make my 5820K = 6700K performance in gaming as of now, 
while still getting those two extra cores for when games would start requiring more cpu cores with the spreading of DX12 games. 

A 5820K has a bit slower IPC than a 6700k. Yes while you can OC, you can almost meet the same performance as a 6700k. Everything depends on the silicon lottery, but disabling 2 cores makes no sense. Buy it cause of the cores and pci lanes, not banking on gaming performance..