Opening a Power Supply?

Xx_death1544_xx
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
1 minute ago, Xx_death1544_xx said:

What adapter would i need

In most cases it would be something like this, just note that LED fans may not be overly bright if not run at full speed:

HTB1YiY0JFXXXXcmXXXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

Is it not under warranty? i would just RMA it and get a new one. 

Magical Pineapples

Why do you want to change the fan? If it's broken RMA it.

Make sure it's unplugged and has been discharged of power via pressing the power button down on your PC with the thing unplugged (this resets CMOS too). The capacitors will still have some charge so you'll have to be super careful not to shock yourself. Do the operation without socks on.

Also, why replace the fan in one of the quietest PSUs ever?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well you are going to void your warranty when you do it but yeah it isn't that hard. I had to do it for my hx750. What type of fan are you replacing it with? (Connector)

I have a rm1000i and i want to change the fan in it would it be safe to just change the fan.

As long as you take the proper precautions and know a thing about them it's relatively safe, it can be very dangerous if you don't know what your doing. If you want to open the PSU be sure to unplug it and let it sit for atleast 30-60mins before opening to ensure the capacitors have drained. When open be sure to note the contacts on the capacitors and to not touch or short them out.

Just note that PSU's use a two pin fan so you will need an adapter. 

im not replacing it because it is broken i got some extra of those led fans and i think it would look cool with the led fan

Is it still under warranty though? Because if it is then it definitely isn't worth it. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

As long as you take the proper precautions and know a thing about them it's relatively safe, it can be very dangerous if you don't know what your doing. If you want to open the PSU be sure to unplug it and let it sit for atleast 30-60mins before opening to ensure the capacitors have drained. When open be sure to note the contacts on the capacitors and to not touch or short them out.

Just note that PSU's use a two pin fan so you will need an adapter. 

7 minutes ago, Xx_death1544_xx said:

would it be safe to just change the fan.

Dealing with electronics, especially damaged electronics, is never safe when there is a risk of shock. If it's under warranty, you should RMA it first, as it may cost less money to ship it back than repair it yourself.

In most cases it would be something like this, just note that LED fans may not be overly bright if not run at full speed:

1 minute ago, W-L said:

I know i will just set the fan speed to manual mode in corsair link so it is just bright enough 

8 minutes ago, Xx_death1544_xx said:

I know i will just set the fan speed to manual mode in corsair link so it is just bright enough 

I'm not sure if you would be able to control your PSU fan via corsair link. Its probably controlled by the hardware of the PSU, since the PSU doesn't have any data connections with the motherboard.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

But it is an rm 1000i which means it has a usb connection with the motherboard and because of that i can see how much power it is pulling from the wall how efficientit is and also control the fan speed because it has the internal usb connection with the motherboard

9 minutes ago, fletch to 99 said:

I'm not sure if you would be able to control your PSU fan via corsair link. Its probably controlled by the hardware of the PSU, since the PSU doesn't have any data connections with the motherboard.