Mouse DPI discussion and what you use.

The issue is if you whack up the dpi then on a 1080p panel at 24" 2cm of mouse movement is the full width..... Unless you turn the pointer speed down to hich you've just undone it so the claims of running at 5600dpi are mute.

I use mid speed and run 1600dpi most of the time, I an go down to 800 for sniping and 3200 when the off need comes up.

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

I use 4000DPI for mostly everything, except for some exceptions of FPS games like COD and Bioshock, where I have to go down to 2500.

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

You might want to quote people, otherwise they don't know you've replied to them.

Yes, that's what I was saying. If you're only playing Pyro in Team Fortress, or only using shotguns at point-blank targets then yes, you might have a point. Otherwise, a target of any size will be effectively get "smaller" the more you increase your DPI. What game are you thinking of where you wouldn't benefit from your target being larger (keeping within games where you need to be clicking things in a speedy fashion)?

your example states that your target is always '1 dot' big regardless of your DPI.  not true.  as your dpi increase, the targets 'takes up' more dots.  it's the amount of real hand movement that decreases.

you're correlating changing mouse DPI with changing effective screen resolution.  unless my computer and mouse works differently than everyone else's, that's not how things work.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure we're even talking about the same thing here.  I'm not talking about your conclusion being incorrect (better accuracy with low DPI), but rather your 'working example'

I use about 1600 with an optical mouse which is my preference and with laser I go about 1300. 

A couple handy formulas I use when messing around with my sensitivity settings: 

Current DPI ( Ingame Sensitivity / New DPI ) = Sense for "New DPI"

Vertical Pixels ( 2.667 / Inches of mouse movement for 180 ) = Minimum Necessary DPI

I use 2.25 ingame sensitivity and 400 DPI with my Deathadder 2013

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

My G400 goes up to 3600, which is insane. I play fps's at 1500-2200, and may bump it up a tad for just browsing my pc. I have 2 monitors and a higher can be nice for going back and forth without a lot of effort. Should also mention that my current mouse pad is crap, it has designs on it which causes my mouse to glitch a bit on higher dpi settings. I need to buy a plain black cloth one.

Logitech G500 set to 2500 DPI @1000 Report Rate

the mouse can have 5 DPI settings  that are quick-changeable so I have mine set to
500, 1500, 2500, 3500, 5000

I use 2500 for everyday use, anything less and I just don't have enough patience/mouse pad space.

I rarely change my DPI, but if I'm editing and I need precision, or maybe sniping in a game I'll switch down to 500.

I'll switch over to 1500, or 3500 with some FPS games rather than switch the in game sensitivity.

I barely use 5000 DPI except when I'm screwing around in a game and want to bullet-storm around me.

vwqo.png

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

I use 400, 1600, 3200. O and now 2400 because thats what I used to use before 3200 and the G602 doesnt support it. If your wondering 3200/2400 are only used on the desktop.

your example states that your target is always '1 dot' big regardless of your DPI.  not true.  as your dpi increase, the targets 'takes up' more dots.  it's the amount of real hand movement that decreases.

you're correlating changing mouse DPI with changing effective screen resolution.  unless my computer and mouse works differently than everyone else's, that's not how things work.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure we're even talking about the same thing here.  I'm not talking about your conclusion being incorrect (better accuracy with low DPI), but rather your 'working example'

I said "imagine trying to hit the red dot"; I never said anything about targets always being 1 dot big. You yourself called it an example and that's what it is. You can make it any shape you like, but DPI will affect it the same. Make it the shape of a person's head if you like...The more you raise DPI, the "smaller" it effectively is.

Now, why do you think as DPI goes up that the target "takes up" more dots? If that were true, raising DPI wouldn't make a difference. It's the fact that the target takes up the same amount of dots while you increase the amount of dots in a given area that makes the target harder to hit.

Try these examples instead...

40 DPI  -  80 DPI  -  160 DPI

The inch in each of those pictures equates to an inch on your mouse pad. If you like, you can imagine that your mouse pad has a bunch of dots on it and for every dot that your mouse sensor passes over, your pointer moves a pixel. Higher DPI means a higher density of dots on your mouse pad. The highlighted victim-to-be still takes up the same amount of dots, but as you increase the dots-per-inch, you have less real-life space that "covers" the target.

I use a ROCCAT Kone XTD and I have 3 settings for DPI

I press the + Button on the mouse and I go up to 1600 DPI for browsing.

I press the - Button on the mouse and I go down to 1200 DPI for Gaming.

I use upwards of 1800 - 8200 DPI if I'm screwing around or playing DayZ.

ASUS VG248QE 144hz | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced | MSI Z77 GD65 | i7 3770k @ 4.2GHz | GTX 780 3GB FTW ACX |

Corsair RM750 | H100i | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair Neutron 64GB SSD | WD Black 500GB 7200RPM | ROCCAT Kone XTD | Microsoft Sidewinder

For Skyrim and desktop usage (Browsing, Documents, Exicel, Etc...) I use 5600dpi on my G9X, and 3200dpi for any other game. This is on a single 1920x1080 22 inch monitor.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

1080p screen, 6/11 mouse sensitivity in windows, 400DPI on my deathadder with no acceleration. I try for about 4 inches of mouse for full 360 in shooters and i like a slow mouse in windows because it feels more accurate.

i have a big ass mouse pad so i can afford to have a lot of movement without having the thing slide off the pad

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Corsair M60 at 1100 DPI, with the middle notch in windows. Really like the sensitivity for gaming.

My Gaming PC: i5 2500k @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333MHz RAM (2x4), MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5 @ 1050-1100 MHz (Twin Frozr 3), Intel 330 Series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD, Corsair Carbide 500r Case, FSP Aurum Series Gold 700w PSU.

Keyboard: Corsair K90, Mouse: Corsair M60, Mousemat: Razer Vespula, Headset: SteelSeries 5Hv3, Monitor: ASUS VG248QE.

How in all hell do some of you use those ridiculously high dpi's?

Just wondering. I personally use my mouse at 1000dpi.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

imposibruuu why am i the only one with more than 9000 dpi

my mouse goes to 2000 dpi

I usually use 5600 DPI on my R.A.T 7.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

this has already been posted.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

this has already been posted.

I searched, couldn't find it. Besides, it was dead anyway.