Mouse DPI discussion and what you use.

I just watched Linus's Logitech G602 unboxing. And he brings up the topic of DPI which he explains about how dpi preferences and things, but everytime he talks about DPI he says something along the lines of "do you really need more than 2500DPI?"

So I wanted to start a DPI discussion and ask about people and explain with some interest about my own DPI setting.

What perfiferals are you use and Whats your DPI setting and windows sensitivity setting? why is it there? Do you agree with linus about DPI? or disagree?

Thoughts and opinions? 

My input

I use a Razer Naga Epic and have been for quite some time, infact I don't really remember when I didn't have a razer naga. I've had one since Molten, and now I have an Epic and a still in the box 2012 incase something happens to my naga epic.

I usually use somewhere from 3200 to 5600 DPI depending on the game but most of the time its set at 5600DPI at 1000hz

See below

SRgQ6ja.png

I've used this setting before synapse came out, and its worked for me very well. However there is a bit of a change, when I play FPS games or vindictus I have it set to acceleration off and around 4100 DPI, because those require a raw input interface. I find that Accelration on works well for point to point click accuracy, such as microing units or navigating a MMORPG UI, but acceleration off works better for aiming and smooth linear movements.

Acceleration is good for snapping movement, and acceleration off works well for linear and raw input movements.

To answer Linus's question "Do you really need more than 2500 DPI?" Absolutely. I havent used lower than 3200DPI since... my razer death adder back in 2009? Once I got my death adder I pushed up to about 3200 to 3500 depending on the game and its been up there. I only use less than 3200 in one game, Alice Madness Returns because that game has some very wonky mouse input, and in alice I use 1000 DPI.

I couldn't imagine having a mouse limited to just 2500 DPI, my hand would require too much movement and I feel as though id have to deal with too much inertia to be accurate. I do use a lower DPI setting for FPS games, but not that low.

yea im on 4500 dpi on my RAT 7 atm honestly i can play dota 2 with my wrist never moving so its quite good for me:P

mouse up to 3600 but i use 1800 cause 3600 is way to hight for browsing  for me (same in games)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

To me, DPI is just sensitivity.

I use 1600 on a Mionix Naos 3200 (big mouse) and thats fine.

When I move to 3200 DPI I completely loose the mouse. Its too fast.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

6/11 in Windows mouse settings, for proper 1:1 movement (no delayed or skipped pixels) and 1600 DPI on my Corsair Raptor M40.

Would like to have it at 1100 - 1300 DPI but it only comes with four presets (800, 1600, 3200 and 4000). I have a single 1080p monitor and I can go around it without having to lift the mouse or move my whole hand. Anything higher than 2000 DPI is just way too fast for me, which means loss of accuracy.

6/11 windows mouse settings and 5700 DPI for everything. (SteelSeries Diablo III mouse)

i use 3000 dpi as a nice middle ground, sometimes when im playing fast paced games i can go up to about 5000 and im having no problem

2500 dpi for my naga 2014.  pretty comfortable with it for desktop usage - haven't tried gaming with it yet (macros are for work - deal with it :P )

I'm not a FPS player whatsoever, but I've found the only time I needed more DPI was to do the super quick 180s you need to play well.

6/11 windows and 1800dpi with my 2012 deathadder. Anything higher and it feels like im flailing around.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Windows sensitivity should usually be at 6/11. The only reason to lower it that I can find is in the pursuit of making ridiculous DPI values usable.

Typically I'll recommend people keep windows/in-game sensitivity at defaults at lower their DPI as much as possible without it becoming impractical. Why? Imagine trying to hit the red dot...

High DPI;

DUmKxj8.png

Low DPI:

xRuBaZR.png

If you can even see the red dot in the high DPI image, I hope you'll agree it'd be harder to hit. The lower your DPI, the easier it is to hit things.

yea im on 4500 dpi on my RAT 7 atm honestly i can play dota 2 with my wrist never moving so its quite good for me:P

This used to be me. I got my brand new Logitech G5 in the year two thousand-and-whatever, which was capable of thousands more DPI than any other mouse I'd owned, and for some reason came to the conclusion that higher the DPI I forced myself to get used to, the better off I'd be for it. So, like you, I end up barely needing to move my wrist (let alone my entire arm), and using my wrist for stability/additional control. Fast forward a few years, having done a significant amount of gaming and gained a little more technical knowledge, I decide to experiment with DPI values and realize my ridiculous DPI was ridiculous, so I lower it. Unfortunately, multiple years of gaming at such a DPI mean I'm now far too used to anchoring my wrist and so I switch to a sort of finger-tip grip with my G5, because it's the only way I can move my mouse as much as I need at my new-found sensible DPI without moving the location of my wrist/my arm. Fast foward a little more and it's time to get a new mouse, however by this time I've fully transitioned to using a fingertip grip and so my list of potential replacements consists of the Abyssuses and Spawns of this world, because as with my G5, the wonderful G400s and Deathadders were really a bit too big to be ideal for the grip I'd developed as a direct result of using too high a DPI.

So remember kids, keep that DPI low, lest you end up having to use tiny mice from the budget lines of gaming peripherals.

I use a Logitech G400s at 400 dpi. I don't see how you could ever be as accurate with a high dpi.

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

I have a varied set.

SKyrim, I play in 3rd person mode and use 8600dpi in 1st person - 3400

BF3 - 1800

war thunder - 3400-8600 depending if I am being chased or lining up a shot (this is why i love the quick profile changing on these mice)

but generally i will switch between 1800 - 3400 - 8600 depending on game and task.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

I'm currently at 1200dpi most of the time

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I use 3000DPI

Anything lower is too slow for me.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

WHAT. MOUSE ACCELERATION!?
Dude, turn that thing off! It gives you cancer man. You will never get use to a mouse. 

Uncheck "enhance pointer precision" please:( It's hurting my eyes!

And turn it off in synapse:<

Always have it one 6/11

I use around 800 dpi

....what on earth...?  I see what you think you're doing.

you're comparing two different things.  your logic is equivalent to saying: I'll punch a kid and he'll survive; I'll stab a grown adult with a broadsword through the head and he'll die.  ergo, kids are tougher than adults.

do you see how ridiculous your example is?

....what on earth...?  I see what you think you're doing.

you're comparing two different things.  your logic is equivalent to saying: I'll punch a kid and he'll survive; I'll stab a grown adult with a broadsword through the head and he'll die.  ergo, kids are tougher than adults.

do you see how ridiculous your example is?

I'm sorry, but I can't even tell what part of my post you're responding to. Your example doesn't seem to align with anything I tried to communicate. Why don't you lay out what it is you think I'm saying and we'll see if we're on the same page?

lol, that was the point.

you're saying a low DPI mouse is better at hitting a target, but your targets are different sizes. therefore, you can't make that comparison.

1750 DPI @ 100 Hz with my Logitech G700s

1500 DPI @ 500 Hz with my G602  

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I have used 1600 on my Kana since I bought it, good sensitivity for general use and for gaming. It can be a little sensitive for fps games (I play bf3) but great for quick reaction shots.

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

lol, that was the point.

you're saying a low DPI mouse is better at hitting a target, but your targets are different sizes. therefore, you can't make that comparison

You might want to quote people, otherwise they don't know you've replied to them.

Yes, that's what I was saying. If you're only playing Pyro in Team Fortress, or only using shotguns at point-blank targets then yes, you might have a point. Otherwise, a target of any size will be effectively get "smaller" the more you increase your DPI. What game are you thinking of where you wouldn't benefit from your target being larger (keeping within games where you need to be clicking things in a speedy fashion)?