Should I order a new power supply?

Bion1985
Go to solution Solved by Steel_Wind,

If your PSU is still running fine. I'd leave well enough alone. At that age, you might want to CAREFULLY open it and give it blow with some canned air to get rid of accumulated dust, but otherwise, let it be.

I agree with the other posters. A mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches or whatever else floats your boats sounds more fun. 

And there's always STEAM. :)

So was pondering my system today and since I got my tax money back I have wondered if I should get a new power supply. I currently am using an older power supply I bought about 5 years ago OCZ zx850. At the time I purchased this unit it was a good power supply but I'm sure by today's standard it's likely lacking in some features. I'd like to add that I'm not having any issue with the unit and as far as I can tell it's working correctly. Just didn't know if most people run a psu till it dies or if you should replace it prior to any issue.

System specs.

Cpu: 4690k 4.5ghz

Mobo: Asus z97a usb 3.1

Gpu: Evga 980ti SC ACX 2.0

Ram: Evga 16gb 2133mhz (1400mhz boost oc)

Psu: OCZ zx 850w

Storage: 128gb 850 ev0, x2 2tb Seagate Barracuda 

Thanks in advance, you all are so helpful.

nah, dont bother. get something else nice with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks, just wondered if people replaced power supplies ad they aged or just used them till they cause an issue.

Just now, Bion1985 said:

Thanks, just wondered if people replaced power supplies ad they aged or just used them till they cause an issue.

nope, only when there is an issue or they've exceeded the limits of the unit. Spend the money on a cool keyboard or maybe a badass joystick like an X52pro.

Intel 5820K OC@4.7 / MSI Raider X99 / 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200mhz / x2 EVGA 980Ti Hybrid OC @1468 / Corsair Vengeance C70 (OD Green) / 2x Samsung 840 Evo in Raid 0 / Corsair RM1000x / Corsair H110i GTX  - Firestrike Score – 26156 (so far, lol)

5 minutes ago, Lord-Anubis said:

nope, only when there is an issue or they've exceeded the limits of the unit. Spend the money on a cool keyboard or maybe a badass joystick like an X52pro.

Thanks! 

Really no need to upgrade psu unless you want to get a higher efficiency and possibly save some cash each year?

4 minutes ago, Voicemakataka said:

Really no need to upgrade psu unless you want to get a higher efficiency and possibly save some cash each year?

At the time I got it think the highest efficiency raising was gold, this one is gold. 

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I seem to remember that being a decent PSU. I'd keep it.

Thanks yea I remember at the time I purchased it I did a bit of research. Can't remember where I found the site but I found a list of good raised power supplies at the time. I bought this one cause it was on the list.

If your PSU is still running fine. I'd leave well enough alone. At that age, you might want to CAREFULLY open it and give it blow with some canned air to get rid of accumulated dust, but otherwise, let it be.

I agree with the other posters. A mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches or whatever else floats your boats sounds more fun. 

8 hours ago, Steel_Wind said:

A little less than a year ago when I put together this new system and decided to use this power supply in it, prior to installing it I hit the psu pretty heavy with the canned air to clean it out. Looked nice and clean inside although I didn't physically disassemble it.