Just took out RAM with PSU turned on and now PC won't turn on

Go to solution Solved by Mark77,

An ATX PC isn't really fully powered down unless you remove the AC power from it, or turn a switch provided on the PSU for the purpose.  If you just soft-powered down (ie: with the front-panel switch, or by shorting the proper headers on the motherboard), you may very well have corrupted the currently executing code, but not damaged anything.

So do a full and proper powerdown, and then try again.  On some machines, if you pull components with things powered up, sometimes the configuration settings get wiped out and you'll have to go into the BIOS/settings and re-do everything.

My pc was beeping, so I went to check the RAM sticks, and I accidentally took them out with the power supply turned on...

Is my motherboard dead?

probably not but your RAM might be

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

What should I do to test if it is or not?

Oh god, RAM is not hot-swappable!

Yes, the RAM may probably have fried itself when you took it out. If you can borrow another stick, see if that's the problem.

Unfortunately the ram sockets might also have been damaged which would spell doom for your motherboard.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, capa881 said:

Turn it off, put ram in, turn it on. Works, good. Doesn't, fucked.

Just now, capa881 said:

Well, the obvious is to test different RAM sticks, do you have an old PC lying around?

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

lmao.. you may have killed something.

Simply use only one stick of RAM at a time. By doing that you can see if one of the RAM sticks is dead.
You can also try each RAM stick in a different slot on your motherboard, to make sure all RAM-slots are working correctly.

I am not exactly sure how how you can "accidentally" take the RAM out as you need to push down on 2 thingies to unclip the RAM. But anyway, try taking it to your nearest PC repair shop. They will try to put some of their RAM in and then you can see if it is the RAM or the motherboard. I think that it might be the RAM though. 

16 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

I am not exactly sure how how you can "accidentally" take the RAM out as you need to push down on 2 thingies to unclip the RAM. But anyway, try taking it to your nearest PC repair shop. They will try to put some of their RAM in and then you can see if it is the RAM or the motherboard. I think that it might be the RAM though. 

He obviously didn't take the RAM out by accident. That's like getting in your car and driving around the world, by accident. He obviously took it out without realising it would damage.

3 minutes ago, ronstig said:

He obviously didn't take the RAM out by accident. That's like getting in your car and driving around the world, by accident. He obviously took it out without realising it would to damage.

Yeah.. It is a bit odd. But everyone does stupid things!

14 minutes ago, capa881 said:

My pc was beeping, so I went to check the RAM sticks, and I accidentally took them out with the power supply turned on...

Is my motherboard dead?

was the PC running? (As in fans spinning)

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Clubconsoles said:

was the PC running? (As in fans spinning)

No, the PC was turned off, but my PSU was turned on and powered to the wall.

1 minute ago, capa881 said:

Just hope that it isn't dead then. try putting different ram in. If it doesn't turn on, It is either you fried the motherboard or something else is causing the problem.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

An ATX PC isn't really fully powered down unless you remove the AC power from it, or turn a switch provided on the PSU for the purpose.  If you just soft-powered down (ie: with the front-panel switch, or by shorting the proper headers on the motherboard), you may very well have corrupted the currently executing code, but not damaged anything.

So do a full and proper powerdown, and then try again.  On some machines, if you pull components with things powered up, sometimes the configuration settings get wiped out and you'll have to go into the BIOS/settings and re-do everything.

3 minutes ago, capa881 said:

If your PSU was on, then how was nothing else on? Did you unplug everything with the PSU on?

Just now, Telebubbies said:

If your PSU was on, then how was nothing else on? Did you unplug everything with the PSU on?

ATX machines never really do power down fully unless you physically remove all power or its one of the PSU's with a switch for the purpose. 

That's why many vendors include a LED on the motherboard, which remains lit even when the computer is "turned off" through the ATX soft-power switch.

4 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

ATX machines never really do power down fully unless you physically remove all power or its one of the PSU's with a switch for the purpose. 

That's why many vendors include a LED on the motherboard, which remains lit even when the computer is "turned off" through the ATX soft-power switch.

Ahh.. I see.. But he should have at least unplugged the cable to the PSU when opening his PC then. It what if he had static electricity on him and he transferred  it to a hardware and caused a short circuit? It happens. And also one of the components could have shocked him. And, he could damage hardware (which is what happened in this case). 

Just now, Telebubbies said:

Ahh.. I see.. But he should have at least unplugged the cable to the PSU when opening his PC then. It what if he had static electricity on him and he transferred  it to a hardware and caused a short circuit? It happens. And also one of the components could have shocked him. And, he could damage hardware (which is what happened in this case).

Yeah he could have damaged hardware.  Its very poor practice to be working on a live machine like that with such critical components like the main system RAM.  But I've had a few "accidents" myself over the years and have never wrecked anything that way after a good and proper reset.

Maybe clearing CMOS and unplugging / replugging will do the trick. I thought OP had replaced the RAM while the computer was on.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Okay, my motherboard is working, and now it's giving me five beeps.

Tried re-putting the CPU, RAM on the first slots that the MOBO indicates, still not working.

What should I do?

Okay, my motherboard is working, and now it's giving me five beeps.

Tried re-putting the CPU, RAM on the first slots that the MOBO indicates, still not working.

What should I do?

Your having a RAM issue. You need to get new RAM. 

Its been fixed, everything is working normally again, every RAM stick is good. Thank you everyone :3

Its been fixed, everything is working normally again, every RAM stick is good. Thank you everyone :3

Great! Don't touch the PC until the computer is fully unplugged! ;)