Microsoft is wanting schools to use Windows 10 as much as possible

GoZone
Go to solution Solved by Tomsen,

Microsoft has always been pushing to have their products be the standard for educational stuff.

Great way to make sure people grow up with your products (and when people first get used to a standard, it will take a while to switch to a new one) and standards.

9 hours ago, Humbug said:

Imo schools should just use Linux. Easy enough to teach kids on, less cost, less malware issues. Don't think they need stuff like adobe's software suite.. Apart from that other common software is compatible.

I can't speak for every school, but at the place I work we have enterprise education software that only runs on Windows, so Linux is simply a no-go for us. Also you'll find that some curriculums may specify a particular piece of software be used by students for certain projects, again from personal experience I've found a good percentage of these programs are Windows only making Windows a necessity for us.

Reasonable to do so. Making everyone accustom to OS and Office etc. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Meanwhile I am still trying to convince my teacher at my school to install an older version of linux on our ancient school computers, but nope there has to be a government approval and some complicated bureaucracy shit... They're running xp still... I mean they're not THAT bad, but it is very risky security-wise running such an outdated OS :/

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Windows 10 for school is the worst idea because schools are really cheap. They get the cheapest specs then you have Windows 10 on top of that to make the PCs slowest things ever. If your going to use Windows 10 the minimum specs you want is an i7 on that for normal performance. There was mention of the chromebooks with Google and some schools using chromebooks I guess that was just for some schools in the US.

14 minutes ago, Someperson22 said:

Windows 10 for school is the worst idea because schools are really cheap. They get the cheapest specs then you have Windows 10 on top of that to make the PCs slowest things ever. If your going to use Windows 10 the minimum specs you want is an i7 on that for normal performance. There was mention of the chromebooks with Google and some schools using chromebooks I guess that was just for some schools in the US.

Hmm no. Windows 10 runs better than Windows 7 which is what most school runs today. And no, you REALLY don't need an i7. Windows 10 runs above and beyond an shitty Atom based tablet with 1GB of RAM. It runs above and beyond on a Core 2 Duo. And no this is not stuff from my back, they are real system you can buy today, or yesterday, and tested on my side.

Updating an OS is MUCH cheaper than buying Chromebooks, especially for schools.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmm no. Windows 10 runs better than Windows 7 which is what most school runs today. And no, you REALLY don't need an i7. Windows 10 runs above and beyond an shitty Atom based tablet with 1GB of RAM. It runs above and beyond on a Core 2 Duo. And no this is not stuff from my back, they are real system you can buy today, or yesterday, and tested on my side.

I had Windows 10 on my PC trust me it wasn't good. Well.. it was for the first couple weeks then it went downhill crashing on games with weird errors, it was really slow, and Windows of course did it again they didn't make a new OS they take programing from all the OS's from the past and build on top of that they don't actually make an new OS they build on top of the other ones and just change the interface and for Windows 10 added a lot more spyware and Cortana might be a problem to for performance but im not sure about that one. Thats why I liked Steam OS then I could totally get away from Windows and have a simple and fast OS. But I game a lot and there isn't much games on it for me so I can't go down that road yet. But from a school perspective you don't really do much on the computers I would recommend that all the PCs in the school have Linux on it. All you really use on a school computer is word and browse the web and maybe PowerPoint sometimes.

17 minutes ago, Someperson22 said:

I had Windows 10 on my PC trust me it wasn't good. Well.. it was for the first couple weeks then it went downhill crashing on games with weird errors, it was really slow, and Windows of course did it again they didn't make a new OS they take programing from all the OS's from the past and build on top of that they don't actually make an new OS they build on top of the other ones and just change the interface and for Windows 10 added a lot more spyware and Cortana might be a problem to for performance but im not sure about that one. Thats why I liked Steam OS then I could totally get away from Windows and have a simple and fast OS. But I game a lot and there isn't much games on it for me so I can't go down that road yet. But from a school perspective you don't really do much on the computers I would recommend that all the PCs in the school have Linux on it. All you really use on a school computer is word and browse the web and maybe PowerPoint sometimes.

Your hardware or driver problem aren't Windows 10. Sorry.

And telemetry data collecting is not "spyware" or spying. They are 2 different things.

Everyone agrees that Windows 10 is better and faster than Windows 7, matching similar performance to Windows 8.
Sorry, I don't want to be a jerk face, but I just cannot agree with you, when you have all these people not having issues. :/

How is this news?

Also funny story. I started to love Windows when using XP and you guessed it, in School :)

I started using XP in 2006-2007. Used it until around 2011 where we upgraded to Windows 7 (around the time SP1 came out). Used Windows 7 until 2015 when I got a laptop for school and upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Someperson22 said:

Literally none of that is correct... What? Windows 10 runs better than 7...

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I found it not be as easy on CPUs as Windows 7 however RAM is definitely better managed with 10. On 7 i was always using 4Gb with juyst windows and steam. Now I use around 4Gb with Windows, Couple of Edge tabs and Office.

They need to work on GPU and CPU performance with 10

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I found it not be as easy on CPUs as Windows 7 however RAM is definitely better managed with 10. On 7 i was always using 4Gb with juyst windows and steam. Now I use around 4Gb with Windows, Couple of Edge tabs and Office.

They need to work on GPU and CPU performance with 10

It was the prefetch feature at work i think, 10 is more mobile oriented(which is a PITA in my view point on a desktop PC) thats why it uses less RAM...

in almost all schools in Norway, you get office for free, at least east Norway.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

in almost all schools in Norway, you get office for free, at least east Norway.

Dang that's nice, at least its better to pay monthly and I also got a 1TB of OneDrive storage also.

"Simple Yet Complex"