Microsoft is wanting schools to use Windows 10 as much as possible

GoZone
Go to solution Solved by Tomsen,

Microsoft has always been pushing to have their products be the standard for educational stuff.

Great way to make sure people grow up with your products (and when people first get used to a standard, it will take a while to switch to a new one) and standards.

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/14/11429850/microsoft-windows-10-education-push

In the anniversary update, Microsoft have an application that will set up school computers way better than it had before and able to buy applications in bulk and gets downloaded within the purchase including that you can play Minecraft (Education Version) with this Windows 10 build. So it makes IT work easier on Windows 10 to install all the computers in a certain school. This will be exciting since most schools still use Windows XP/Vista/7 on computers and of course they don't want to get licenses and the time to install but this should make it easier for them to input the new OS.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

2 minutes ago, GoZone said:

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/14/11429850/microsoft-windows-10-education-push

In the anniversary update, Microsoft have an application that will set up school computers way better than it had before and able to buy applications in bulk and gets downloaded within the purchase including that you can play Minecraft (Education Version) with this Windows 10 build. So it makes IT work easier on Windows 10 to install all the computers in a certain school. This will be exciting since most schools still use Windows XP/Vista/7 on computers and of course they don't want to get licenses and the time to install but this should make it easier for them to input the new OS.

My school is trying to start using chromebooks.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

3 minutes ago, KSores said:

My school has these crappie chrome desktops. I wish they had win 10

9 minutes ago, PokeCatz said:

My school is trying to start using chromebooks.

When Remix OS gets released a lots of people will get chromebook just because of that, lol.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Microsoft has always been pushing to have their products be the standard for educational stuff.

Great way to make sure people grow up with your products (and when people first get used to a standard, it will take a while to switch to a new one) and standards.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

My school triple boots 7, 8.1 and Ubuntu. Only ever used 7 though.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

12 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Yes. Recently they were using OneNote (when they made it free) as a way to push things., now they seem to add Minecraft, HoloLens (for universities), and Forms, and deep discount on Microsoft tools to image systems, Windows Server license, and its A/V (Endpoint protection).

I currently attend the largest school in south Florida and I'm part of their tech support program and we've been slowly pushing Windows 10 through the network for the past few weeks. It's pretty cool that they are upgrading but it's also slightly problematic since we are running on our own private domain every time someone logs in the "setting up Windows" loading screen pops out. That seems to cause some problems with getting things done in time since in some computers it can take as much as 10 minutes.

I replace your reality and substitute my own.

I work as a technology teacher, and my school is using Windows 7 on all their machines except a select few on XP. :/

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Windows 7 enterprise on athlon 64 CPUs. Please don't make it any slower than it already is

If it is on Socket 939, then the CPU doesn't have the needed technologies to run Windows 10.

But your slowness is possibly due to GPU performance and HDD (probably just as old HDD)

Just now, GoodBytes said:

If it is on Socket 939, then the CPU doesn't have the needed technologies to run Windows 10.

But your slowness is possibly due to GPU performance and HDD (probably just as old HDD)

But I have a wicked powerful Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV515 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]

That should handle the metro theme, right?

no...

pretty sure its not just the schools they want to be using windows 10 `-`

Spoiler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My school is running Windows 8.1,

And the computers them selves are all core i5 with HD6450 GPUs

`

Imo schools should just use Linux. Easy enough to teach kids on, less cost, less malware issues. Don't think they need stuff like adobe's software suite.. Apart from that other common software is compatible.

5 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Imo schools should just use Linux. Easy enough to teach kids on, less cost, less malware issues. Don't think they need stuff like adobe's software suite.. Apart from that other common software is compatible.

most schools use the office suite 

I lurk a lot

24 minutes ago, Humbug said:

my school and university did: Xubuntu with dual boot option to win 7, And VMs within Xubuntu

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 minutes ago, peej said:

most schools use the office suite 

Ya I know but there are alternatives...

That's why I mentioned adobe's software suite as a drawback for Linux. Cause it's not compatible and I don't think there are good alternatives for that on Linux.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

There's more to it than that, beside office, lots of school take advantage of IT management tools available for windows like active directory, also MS is pretty much giving away all their products for school use, then there's the fact that if they want to set up labs for teaching other computing related stuff like 3d modeling or digital design, all of those apps are already available for Windows.

That not to say linux isn't good for a school environment (its a must if you want to learn general programming) but windows still has some advantages, ill say what tjey should do is set up dual boot systems and teach what both platforms are good at. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

57 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Not alternatives of the same quality. Find me a completely equivalent excel alternative.

Maybe if they didn't bribe our government to buy Microsoft licenses at absurdly high prices for schools we would use Windows 10, but we all know how things went. Oh wait, maybe they will bribe people again, who knows.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

47 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Maybe if they didn't bribe our government to buy Microsoft licenses at absurdly high prices for schools we would use Windows 10, but we all know how things went. Oh wait, maybe they will bribe people again, who knows.

I can only talk for where I am. I worked in IT, and I can tell you every software for Microsoft in the school sector, the company is basically giving it all for free (fraction of the price) compared to the normal price, let alone, alternative solutions. Microsoft doesn't care, as it benefits them in the long run. This is like Apple going to schools, at least here, and giving them any Apple computer they want, Apple-ising the school from A to Z, all for free, yes free! But they have to remain Apple exclusive, else they need to pay for the computers but for a fraction of the price. Apple uses that a way to push people to use their OS and computers and uses this as advertisement for students to get their computers in the future.

All manufactures has school discounts as well, to push their brand.

Most of the computers in my school's computing department were upgraded over Easter as a trial before the whole school switches over the summer. Our numpty of an IT director put together the image from the US version, which along with some other problems with the image and our network means they are buggy AF at the moment, particularly when it comes to network stuff and keyboard language. None of this is really Microsoft's fault though, just our network and IT director. But.... including candy crush in the default image for the educational version of windows........wtf Microsoft. Including it in the home version was bad enough, let alone the professional and education versions.

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I can only talk for where I am. I worked in IT, and I can tell you every software for Microsoft in the school sector, the company is basically giving it all for free (fraction of the price) compared to the normal price, let alone, alternative solutions. Microsoft doesn't care, as it benefits them in the long run. This is like Apple going to schools, at least here, and giving them any Apple computer they want, Apple-ising the school from A to Z, all for free, yes free! But they have to remain Apple exclusive, else they need to pay for the computers but for a fraction of the price. Apple uses that a way to push people to use their OS and computers and uses this as advertisement for students to get their computers in the future.

All manufactures has school discounts as well, to push their brand.

The toatl bribe reached ~60 mil EUR here so what the heck...it's nothing compared to other bribes we've seen. I remember seeing a 670 mil EUR figure in another case some time ago, but I'm not sure they managed to prove it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.