HTC 10 thoughts

I have to say I am pretty torn whether I like it or not. And since i'm on the lookout for a new phone I was wondering what other people thought.  

3 minutes ago, penguindude613 said:

I have to say I am pretty torn whether I like it or not. And since i'm on the lookout for a new phone I was wondering what other people thought.  

It'll all depend on the price.

10 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

it's $699 unlocked

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Not always, for me it depends on the design, features and implementation 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would get it if its avaliable on AT&T w/ Next, and that it has a good screen without light bleeding or anything like that. I cant wait to see the reviews. Hope its better than the G5 LCD!

HTC nailed it. I'd change my S7 edge to the 10 if I could. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

My initial opinions:
Cons:
It's rear looks ugly; S7 has the best looking rear end so I have high expectations.

The capacitive buttons are backwards- why is the back button so far away from where your thumb would be. Please use Samsung layout.

2.5D glass although beautiful to look at and feel on the 6s and S7, make compatibility with tempered glass screen protectors difficult. You'll usually end up with a screen protector that doesn't protect the edges of the screen and an annoying halo effect.

Pros:

Having a speaker on the bottom of the phone will allow you to actually hear your ringtone when it's in your pocket. The earpiece doubling as a speaker like in the LG GW620 is good to see as well.

Lack of duplicate apps for better or for worse.

Great warranty- you get a free replacement if you shatter your screen or water damage your phone. 

Physical button for the home button- lets you easily wake and unlock your phone. 

It looks like a great phone, but its not for everyone and then again, its not everywhere, unlike LG or Samsung. Design wise, with a white font front color, it looks awkward and quite misplaced, since the sensor, huge front camera and what seems to be an unpolished front speaker, will only look natural, in my opinion, with a black colored front. It really doesnt look nice and some phones like the GS7 and Iphone 6S can make white font phones look gorgeous, on the front that is. Build quality is solid, so is cameras apparently according to DXOMark, making it on par with the highest scoring S7 Edge, but lets not jump onto conclusions. Performance and charging looks fabulously great and display quality too. 

Groomlake Authority

My inital Thoughts:

- Better than LG G5, on same level as the S7.

Pros:

- Seems to have extremely good audio, as usual to HTC. Not just the Boomsound (one Front, and bottom for "subwoofer"), but mainly via headphone jack. Should have quite a high Output Voltage, so it can drive expensive headphones very good. Probably even better than the LG G5 with the disappointing Hifi Module.

- Design. Back looks not bad (would have to feel it, to see if i like it or not), front is good. Much better screen/body ratio

- CAMERA: It truly is at the same Level than the S7 Camera. Both score 88 Points in DXO Mark. HTC might be a mini-nuance better in photos, S7 in videos. All in all, same level of high endness, can't go wrong with either. Wide aperture with f1.7 and f1.8, large pixels (slightly larger on htc), and both 12 MP.

Frontcamera has an OIS... Big plus.

- Software. Never i've seen such a near stock android (except motorola..). Its honestly THE better Nexus right now. Its veeery close to stock, even some HTC apps are gone for the sake of the google version (no more galery, etc), just the apps, that Google completely failed, are replaced. Like the Camer app.

I bet, this will be easy and fast to update 

- They somehow managed to make it really snappy, by improving the latency of the Display. It should "fly" away.

- battery Life seems very very promising. Some reviewers got 2 whole days. lets see how it compares directly to the s7 (Edge) in similar tests.

- Quickcharge 3.0 (Charger should have 2,8A). 50% Battery in 30 minutes, or 100% battery in 60 Minutes. That's hot.

- USB Type C with USB 3.1 Interface (many USB Type C have a slower USB 2.0 interface)

- BOOTLOADER CAN BE UNLOCKED. EITHER YOU BUY THE UNLOCK VERSION, OR YOU UNLOCK IT VIA HTCDEV ----> Custom Rom paradise.

Anyone, who likes Root and Custom Roms: HTC 10 > Samsung Galaxy S7 (Edge) right now.

Cons:

- Display. It is a good one, BUT: It's calibrated to DCI-3P Color space (just like the LG G5) one, which means, it's a bit wider than the sRGB (especially in the Reds).

Some may like the "poppy" colors, but the Color reproduction is NOT "accurate", if anyone cares for that. Samsung's Amoled in the Basic mode has an almost perfect sRGB Color Acuracy (keep in Mind, most Consumer Content (youtube, web, netflix, etc etc) is based on sRGB).

Not a really con, but worth mentioning!!

- emmc storage, instead of faster UFS2.0 (like samsung) or NAND (like Apple). Wonder, if this slower storage will be the Bottleneck...

Some Numbers here: emmc is expected to be at around 240-270 mb/s read speed, at its best. UFS 2.0/Nand are ar 450-470 mb/s and above. At Sequencial Read.

Random 4k Read are more like 15-30 mb/s for the emmc. And 80-90 mb/s for UFS 2.0.

- ...... That's it pretty much.... Maybe, that it's 9,6 (around that) mm thick, instead of 7,x like the Samsung. Shouldnt be a Problem tho, because of the Curve.

Cons are really some minor spec-things.

HTC really fucking Nailed it this year. I personally place it on the Top #1, together with Galaxy S7, and Galaxy S7 Edge.

Which wins is just personal taste, which software you prefer, if you like Amoled or sLCD, glas or Metal (not painted.. ), ip68 or better Audio.

I personally went with the S7 Edge, because it came out much earlier... That was the advantage. If they came out at the same time.. Oh boy, i would have a hard time deciding.... Probably would have went for the One M8.

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

My inital Thoughts:

- Better than LG G5, on same level as the S7.

Pros:

- Seems to have extremely good audio, as usual to HTC. Not just the Boomsound (one Front, and bottom for "subwoofer"), but mainly via headphone jack. Should have quite a high Output Voltage, so it can drive expensive headphones very good. Probably even better than the LG G5 with the disappointing Hifi Module.

- Design. Back looks not bad (would have to feel it, to see if i like it or not), front is good. Much better screen/body ratio

- CAMERA: It truly is at the same Level than the S7 Camera. Both score 88 Points in DXO Mark. HTC might be a mini-nuance better in photos, S7 in videos. All in all, same level of high endness, can't go wrong with either. Wide aperture with f1.7 and f1.8, large pixels (slightly larger on htc), and both 12 MP.

Frontcamera has an OIS... Big plus.

- Software. Never i've seen such a near stock android (except motorola..). Its honestly THE better Nexus right now. Its veeery close to stock, even some HTC apps are gone for the sake of the google version (no more galery, etc), just the apps, that Google completely failed, are replaced. Like the Camer app.

I bet, this will be easy and fast to update 

- They somehow managed to make it really snappy, by improving the latency of the Display. It should "fly" away.

- battery Life seems very very promising. Some reviewers got 2 whole days. lets see how it compares directly to the s7 (Edge) in similar tests.

- Quickcharge 3.0 (Charger should have 2,8A). 50% Battery in 30 minutes, or 100% battery in 60 Minutes. That's hot.

- USB Type C with USB 3.1 Interface (many USB Type C have a slower USB 2.0 interface)

- BOOTLOADER CAN BE UNLOCKED. EITHER YOU BUY THE UNLOCK VERSION, OR YOU UNLOCK IT VIA HTCDEV ----> Custom Rom paradise.

Anyone, who likes Root and Custom Roms: HTC 10 > Samsung Galaxy S7 (Edge) right now.

Cons:

- Display. It is a good one, BUT: It's calibrated to DCI-3P Color space (just like the LG G5) one, which means, it's a bit wider than the sRGB (especially in the Reds).

Some may like the "poppy" colors, but the Color reproduction is NOT "accurate", if anyone cares for that. Samsung's Amoled in the Basic mode has an almost perfect sRGB Color Acuracy (keep in Mind, most Consumer Content (youtube, web, netflix, etc etc) is based on sRGB).

Not a really con, but worth mentioning!!

- emmc storage, instead of faster UFS2.0 (like samsung) or NAND (like Apple). Wonder, if this slower storage will be the Bottleneck...

Some Numbers here: emmc is expected to be at around 240-270 mb/s read speed, at its best. UFS 2.0/Nand are ar 450-470 mb/s and above. At Sequencial Read.

Random 4k Read are more like 15-30 mb/s for the emmc. And 80-90 mb/s for UFS 2.0.

- ...... That's it pretty much.... Maybe, that it's 9,6 (around that) mm thick, instead of 7,x like the Samsung. Shouldnt be a Problem tho, because of the Curve.

Cons are really some minor spec-things.

HTC really fucking Nailed it this year. I personally place it on the Top #1, together with Galaxy S7, and Galaxy S7 Edge.

Which wins is just personal taste, which software you prefer, if you like Amoled or sLCD, glas or Metal (not painted.. ), ip68 or better Audio.

I personally went with the S7 Edge, because it came out much earlier... That was the advantage. If they came out at the same time.. Oh boy, i would have a hard time deciding.... Probably would have went for the One M8.

One more con: Snapdragon 820 throttles and runs hot. If you happen to charge your phone while using it for navigation, you can expect google maps to be extremely laggy due to the throttling. If you have google play update apps in the background, you can also expect lots of heat and throttling. Snapdragon 820 although fast, isn't fast enough when it throttles. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2016 at 6:25 PM, kurahk7 said:

My initial opinions:
Cons:
It's rear looks ugly; S7 has the best looking rear end so I have high expectations.

The capacitive buttons are backwards- why is the back button so far away from where your thumb would be. Please use Samsung layout.

2.5D glass although beautiful to look at and feel on the 6s and S7, make compatibility with tempered glass screen protectors difficult. You'll usually end up with a screen protector that doesn't protect the edges of the screen and an annoying halo effect.

Pros:

Having a speaker on the bottom of the phone will allow you to actually hear your ringtone when it's in your pocket. The earpiece doubling as a speaker like in the LG GW620 is good to see as well.

Lack of duplicate apps for better or for worse.

Great warranty- you get a free replacement if you shatter your screen or water damage your phone. 

Physical button for the home button- lets you easily wake and unlock your phone. 

Well it very slippery and normally people use cases so it doesn't matter and glass is not the most durable.  Also you need to feel the build quality,  it's so nice.  Also the backwards button being on the left feels more natural cause back is usually associated that way.  The glass thing though yeah thats right and screens, well,  LCD vs oled, so yeah. But the problem of Samsung and apple being the only big players means very little exclusive things are out such as cases no otter boxes or lifeproof.