Fun with Rasberry Pi - Help?

Slick

Hey guys -

I'm looking into doing a review of the raspberry Pi 3 model B.. But I wanted to add something cool to the review

I was thinking of adding a segment about mounting a Pi with a screen in your front 5.25" bay that could output your CPU/GPU clockspeed, fan speeds, and various temperatures.. I was assuming this MAY be able to work by using pins from a usb header to transfer data to the Pi..

All that being said I'm way over my head and looking for help - If one of you are interested in making this for the community I'd love to make it clear that I can't do this kind of stuff and give you shutouts for your contribution!

Orrrrr I can just make a normal boring review.. that's fine too :D

3 minutes ago, Slick said:

I'm actually looking into doing something similar for CPU temps with my server. As with you, this is way over my head.

Followed.

1 minute ago, GaIaxy said:

You mean us building it for you, and then sending it in?

If so...sounds like a cool DIY project. I enjoy modifying PC stuff, the Pi is no exception.

More just meant the code I guess - For the wiring i'd just have to know what you put where :P

with a rpi doing it over the network may be your best/easiest bet. (easy is of the essence here as i guess LTT isnt gonna make custom circuits for a video xD)

if you want to do it off a header, get a usb ethernet thingy, or (if you can find something decent) usb to i2c or spi.

now that i'm thinking of it, putting usb to rs232 (serial) in both the pi and a mobo header (or use serial if the motherboard has it) with a crossover cable may be a very easy fix for communication as well.

--

i doubt you guys will have the time to do much custom stuff beyond this tho.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

with a rpi doing it over the network may be your best/easiest bet. (easy is of the essence here as i guess LTT isnt gonna make custom circuits for a video xD)

if you want to do it off a header, get a usb ethernet thingy, or (if you can find something decent) usb to i2c or spi.

now that i'm thinking of it, putting usb to rs232 (serial) in both the pi and a mobo header (or use serial if the motherboard has it) with a crossover cable may be a very easy fix for communication as well.

--

i doubt you guys will have the time to do much custom stuff beyond this tho.

Actually that's awesome! Over the network would work great actually.. RBP3mB has built in BT/Wifi..

little project i made:

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Slick said:

Hey guys -

I'm looking into doing a review of the raspberry Pi 3 model B.. But I wanted to add something cool to the review

I was thinking of adding a segment about mounting a Pi with a screen in your front 5.25" bay that could output your CPU/GPU clockspeed, fan speeds, and various temperatures.. I was assuming this MAY be able to work by using pins from a usb header to transfer data to the Pi..

All that being said I'm way over my head and looking for help - If one of you are interested in making this for the community I'd love to make it clear that I can't do this kind of stuff and give you shutouts for your contribution!

Orrrrr I can just make a normal boring review.. that's fine too :D

Doing that would be one of the worse way to use the Rpi. That's something that is better suited for something like an Arduino for example.

Rpi is a computer. Maybe ghetto make a case for it? Like put in into a ATX case with all the usual things like hdd, fans, dvd drive and run extension cables to the IS shield LOL! Then review it like you would a normal pre-built PC.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Just now, Slick said:

Actually that's awesome! Over the network would work great actually.. RBP3mB has built in BT/Wifi..

now you say, BT may be a better option if you can figure out how to have it communicate with the pc reliably. (bluetooth isnt reliable, anyone who tells you it is needs to be hit with a brick)

btw, if you guys need some help with python, send me a message, my code doesnt look very pretty, but in the end it all works. (or at least, works enough to do a demo. i'm *that* guy that had a school project act as if it worked just long enough to get trough a demo)

2 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

Doing that would be one of the worse way to use the Rpi. That's something that is better suited for something like an Arduino for example.

Rpi is a computer. Maybe ghetto make a case for it? Like put in into a ATX case with all the usual things like hdd, fans, dvd drive and run extension cables to the IS shield LOL!

kinda agree here, the pi is actually a very acceptable computer, i could maybe drop in my pimodore project in the thread as well:

its with a pi2, and can reliably play playstation 1 games, and *almost* run N64 at 100%

i tried to do the same thing late last year but i hit a brick wall. i used open hardware monitor that has a built in remote web server so you are able to access it from a different system but i could select the information i wanted and display it.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

kinda agree here, the pi is actually a very acceptable computer, i could maybe drop in my pimodore project in the thread as well:

its with a pi2, and can reliably play playstation 1 games, and *almost* run N64 at 100%

Or could put OpenELEC into it and demo as a HTPC.

Or make an emulator out of it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3051601/hardware/this-raspberry-pi-infused-game-boy-is-the-ultimate-retro-gaming-emulator.html

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

8 minutes ago, Huntsman said:

Rpi is a computer. Maybe ghetto make a case for it? Like put in into a ATX case with all the usual things like hdd, fans, dvd drive and run extension cables to the IS shield LOL! Then review it like you would a normal pre-built PC.

Fair and noted - let's do it with an arduino then?

Just now, 160644_1454180821 said:

i tried to do the same thing late last year but i hit a brick wall. i used open hardware monitor that has a built in remote web server so you are able to access it from a different system but i could select the information i wanted and display it.

openhardwaremonitor is rather poopy tho. its about as accurate as measuring temperatures with a pepperoni pizza.

if it comes down to writing your own network stack, i suggest using the IRC chat protocol with a bot on the PC sending data into a channel, and a (shitty) basic irc server and bot on the pi fishing up that data to display.

all i just said (including the daemon) could probably be done in less lines of code than my logitech lua script xD

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

openhardwaremonitor is rather poopy tho. its about as accurate as measuring temperatures with a pepperoni pizza.

if it comes down to writing your own network stack, i suggest using the IRC chat protocol with a bot on the PC sending data into a channel, and a (shitty) basic irc server and bot on the pi fishing up that data to display.

all i just said (including the daemon) could probably be done in less lines of code than my logitech lua script xD

i have practically no experience of coding so that why i couldn't pursue any further with the project

2 minutes ago, Slick said:

you guys have an ultimaker, if you want to catch some eyes, 3D print a "miniature" desktop raspberry pi case (clone the design of a define R4/R5 maybe?) and place the pi inside. there's been some really funky projects with watercooling, and even LN2 overclocking a pi. all of these make the device (and your video) seem endlessly more exciting than making a thingy in a 2.25" bay that you can buy off the shelf cheaper either way.

2 minutes ago, Slick said:

Could be done with off the shelf parts and sample codes alone. The temperature probes can be "Direct Mounted" (Patent-pending) to the heatsinks. Any more than that would need some programming to communicate via USB serial. Shouldn't be too hard.

Would like to see review of the Rpi in an ATX case for the heck of it lol

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you guys have an ultimaker, if you want to catch some eyes, 3D print a "miniature" desktop raspberry pi case (clone the design of a define R4/R5 maybe?) and place the pi inside. there's been some really funky projects with watercooling, and even LN2 overclocking a pi. all of these make the device (and your video) seem endlessly more exciting than making a thingy in a 2.25" bay that you can buy off the shelf cheaper either way.

Yes that too.. could get Linus' neighbour from Scrapyard War 2 to make a waterblock for it while you're at it xD

THIS IS GETTING EXCITING!!!

Just now, Huntsman said:

Could be done with off the shelf parts and sample codes alone. The temperature probes can be "Direct Mounted" (Patent-pending) to the heatsinks. Any more than that would need some programming to communicate via USB serial. Shouldn't be too hard.

Would like to see review of the Rpi in an ATX case for the heck of it lol

or 3D print an ATX case to 1/4th size to fit the pi as if it was an ATX motherboard.

Just now, Huntsman said:

Yes that too.. could get Linus' neighbour from Scrapyard War 2 to make a waterblock for it while you're at it xD

THIS IS GETTING EXCITING!!!

you dont need much waterblock for it, can be a cuboid metal tube for all the pi cares about. my pi currently has an ancient laptop cooler taped to the chip with double sided tape. as for the radiator, just a thin (copper?) tube coiled up behind a fan.

Could we not just have a small process pull the temp and clock data from something like afterburner and aida64? instead of direct mounting temp probes :P Or we could do that because.. LTT

@Slick its a bit crude, and i forgot to rotate before i uploaded, but this is a pi-sized define R5 with 2x 40mm front intakes, and 1x 40mm rear exhaust and watercooling support.

e55e1ea0f6.jpg

now that i'm seeing this, i REALLY want a pi3 to do this xD

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

@Slick its a bit crude, and i forgot to rotate before i uploaded, but this is a pi-sized define R5 with 2x 40mm front intakes, and 1x 40mm rear exhaust and watercooling support.

e55e1ea0f6.jpg

now that i'm seeing this, i REALLY want a pi3 to do this xD

LOL okay that would be pretty fun

6 minutes ago, Slick said:

Could we not just have a small process pull the temp and clock data from something like afterburner and aida64? instead of direct mounting temp probes :P Or we could do that because.. LTT

We could.. I would have to experiment with it before I could give you a definitive answer.