Broadwell-e or kabylake?

Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,
4 minutes ago, Lonelycat said:

yeah lol i got 1150 mixed up with the 2011 socket and was like wait....... i messed that up

You said LGA2011 Too, not LGA2011 instead, which indicates that you thought they were still different. No matter, I got some typing practice out of that and learned a bit about older extreme-edition CPUs.

In short, go X99 with the 5820k if you can afford it, or get a regular B85/H81 board with a Xeon E3 1231 V3 if you're strapped for cash.

Which cpu line-up are you gonna get? and why? I'm currently using skylake cpu's but am considering getting LGA 1150 instead of LGA1151. i want a good cpu for gaming and video editing which is best to you?

Broadwell-E is probably going to be better for video editing, I have a 5820k that will do video editing better than a 6700k, evne though the 6700k is a newer i7. I will probably be upgrading to the 300-500$ broadwell-e CPU when it comes out.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Go for a i7 5820k for video editing, and it also serves for a good gaming CPU too!

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Why would you go with LGA 1150? That's Haswell. 

Financial constraints? The 4790k is a good deal cheaper.

However, it's not exactly plausible, given OP is asking about next and next-to-next generation X99 processors.

I think the upcoming Broadwell-E i7-6800K should be 100% for what you need...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

I usually buy hardware when it is a generation behind and prices drops for it. I would say go for the older CPU, More bang for your buck.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

27 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

However, it's not exactly plausible, given OP is asking about next and next-to-next generation X99 processors.

Exactly. 

I have the cash to buy either cpu but only one. I just wanna get the input of what you all think. I wanna get a CPU that is great for overclocking and can do gaming plus good video editing.

2 minutes ago, Lonelycat said:

Exactly. 

I have the cash to buy either cpu but only one. I just wanna get the input of what you all think. I wanna get a CPU that is great for overclocking and can do gaming plus good video editing.

I don't get it. Broadwell E and Kabylake are upcoming workstation-grade CPU architecture families that start much higher than the price range of the LGA1150 Haswell CPUs.

If you can afford it, go X99 with the 5820k. If not, Xeon E3 1231 V3- it's not like you need the integrated graphics anyway.

so then LGA 1150 for Broadwell-e is the way for me to go then? The only thing is a want a socket that will be staying for a long time. is that stupid? i feel like 1151 will be around longer than 1150.

18 minutes ago, Lonelycat said:

so then LGA 1150 for Broadwell-e is the way for me to go then? The only thing is a want a socket that will be staying for a long time. is that stupid? i feel like 1151 will be around longer than 1150.

You need to look up your platforms. LGA 1150 is limited to Haswell and Broadwell- The regular, consumer chips which don't have more than four cores. The hex-core CPUs are extreme edition CPUs, hence Broadwell-E and Haswell-E.

Broadwell-E will be on the existing LGA 2011-3 platform which current Haswell-E processors are on, while Skylake E and the next architecture (Kabylake E) will be on a new platform.

The Core i7 4790k and Xeon E3 1231 V3 are regular Haswell processors. They're quad-core CPUs and are on the LGA 1150 platform.

The Core i7 6700k is a regular quad-core Skylake processor, and is on the LGA 1151 platform. Kabylake will probably come to LGA 1151 too.

The Core i7 5820k is a Haswell-E chip. It's a six-core processor, and is on the LGA 2011-3 platform. Its big sister, the Core i7 5960x, is an eight-core processor that's also on the LGA 2011-3 platform.

The upcoming Broadwell-E CPUs, like the 10-core 6950x, will also be on the LGA 2011-3 platform.

Later, Skylake-E, the next generation of Extreme Edition processors, will come to a new platform which will succeed the LGA 2011-3 platform. After that, Kabylake-E will be on the same platform, until the next architecture gets a new one.

In both extreme-edition and regular platform, each platform gets two generations of CPUs. LGA 1155 got Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge. LGA 1150 got Haswell and Broadwell. LGA 1151 (the latest) has Skylake and will get Kabylake.

Similarly, Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E were on the old LGA 2011 platform (with the X79 chipset). Haswell-E and Broadwell-E are on the current LGA 2011-3 platform (with the X99 chipset). The upcoming Skylake-E and Kabylake-E after that will be on a new platform.

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You need to look up your platforms. LGA 1150 is limited to Haswell and Broadwell- The regular, consumer chips which don't have more than four cores. The hex-core CPUs are extreme edition CPUs, hence Broadwell-E and Haswell-E.

Broadwell-E will be on the existing LGA 2011-3 platform which current Haswell-E processors are on, while Skylake E and the next architecture (Kabylake E) will be on a new platform.

The Core i7 4790k and Xeon E3 1231 V3 are regular Haswell processors. They're quad-core CPUs and are on the LGA 1150 platform.

The Core i7 6700k is a regular quad-core Skylake processor, and is on the LGA 1151 platform. Kabylake will probably come to LGA 1151 too.

The Core i7 5820k is a Haswell-E chip. It's a six-core processor, and is on the LGA 2011-3 platform. Its big sister, the Core i7 5960x, is an eight-core processor that's also on the LGA 2011-3 platform.

The upcoming Broadwell-E CPUs, like the 10-core 6950x, will also be on the LGA 2011-3 platform.

Later, Skylake-E, the next generation of Extreme Edition processors, will come to a new platform which will succeed the LGA 2011-3 platform. After that, Kabylake-E will be on the same platform, until the next architecture gets a new one.

In both extreme-edition and regular platform, each platform gets two generations of CPUs. LGA 1155 got Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge. LGA 1150 got Haswell and Broadwell. LGA 1151 (the latest) has Skylake and will get Kabylake.

Similarly, Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E were on the old LGA 2011 platform (with the X79 chipset). Haswell-E and Broadwell-E are on the current LGA 2011-3 platform (with the X99 chipset). The upcoming Skylake-E and Kabylake-E after that will be on a new platform.

yeah lol i got 1150 mixed up with the 2011 socket and was like wait....... i messed that up

4 minutes ago, Lonelycat said:

You said LGA2011 Too, not LGA2011 instead, which indicates that you thought they were still different. No matter, I got some typing practice out of that and learned a bit about older extreme-edition CPUs.

In short, go X99 with the 5820k if you can afford it, or get a regular B85/H81 board with a Xeon E3 1231 V3 if you're strapped for cash.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

You said LGA2011 Too, not LGA2011 instead. No matter, I got some typing practice out of that and learned a bit about older extreme-edition CPUs.

In short, go X99 with the 5820k if you can afford it, and get a regular B85/H81 board with a Xeon E3 1231 V3 if you're strapped for cash.

alright cool!

2011-3 ;):P

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

8 hours ago, Aereldor said:

The OP says he's using Skylake, which is why I was confused as to why he'd go back a generation and need to buy a new board and likely RAM. If he meant he's looking at a processor for a new build, then yeah, Haswell can offer some good value options 

7 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The OP says he's using Skylake, which is why I was confused as to why he'd go back a generation and need to buy a new board and likely RAM. If he meant he's looking at a processor for a new build, then yeah, Haswell can offer some good value options 

I think he/she meant LGA 2011-3 and Haswell-E, as in the 6700k and the 5820k, and said '1150' by accident. Repeatedly. Consistently. Much to my chagrin.

Haswell has some of the best value right now, at least until the quad-core hyperthreaded Skylake Xeons hit. Do we have an ETA on those yet?