GTX 980 vs. R9 390x

ddbtkd456
Go to solution Solved by N_Bot,
1 minute ago, ddbtkd456 said:

So basically which would the LTT community recommend for 1440p gaming? I have an idea of what we will be playing, but that is subject to change. My question is in terms of graphics for games on a 1440p which is better and which gets higher settings?

For 1440p 390x for sure!

So basically which would the LTT community recommend for 1440p gaming? I have an idea of what we will be playing, but that is subject to change. My question is in terms of graphics for games on a 1440p which is better and which gets higher settings?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

For 1440p 390x for sure!

In DX11 the 980 is marginally faster but not worth the premium imo.

IN DX12 the 390x fares quite a bit better.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, N_Bot said:

For 1440p 390x for sure!

Is the performance a major difference?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

The extra 4GB of VRAM the 390x has will go a long way at 1440p

Almost as cool as my temps  

Is the performance a major difference?

Like @Benergy mentioned, for higher resolutions like 1440p, the extra VRAM the 390x provides will benefit you a lot.

I'd say go with the R9 390X.

- 2GB more VRAM,

- About the same or better DX11 performance,

- Significantly better DX12 performance.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

390X definitely - better in DX12, 100$ cheaper, 8GB of VRAM for 1440p

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

7 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

I'd say go with the R9 390X.

- 2GB more VRAM,

*4GB, its the 980 not the 980Ti.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I have just purchased a 1440p monitor and the R9 390x runs like a dream.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.5ghz | Mobo: Asus B85MG | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: R9 390X 

SSD: Kingston 240GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W | Case: CIT Dominator + 6 Corsair AF120 Fans all around | 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 | Monitor: BenQ XL2730z 144Mhz 1440p | 

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE | Mouse: Razer DeatherAdder Chroma

390X will take you to the 80s & 90s.  Degrees that is.

Yeah, yeah, I bet there will be posts to follow claiming that the gpu actually froze them to death.

Uh-huh.

6 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

390X will take you to the 80s & 90s.  Degrees that is.

Yeah, yeah, I bet there will be posts to follow claiming that the gpu actually froze them to death.

Uh-huh.

Alright, looks like I successfully managed to find an nVidia fanboy. Who cares if they reach the 80s? They are supposed to handle those temperatures.

Also, unless you have a damaged card or shitty airflow, you'll never get over the low 80s. Nice try though. Both the GTX 980 and the R9 380x run quite hot.

You shouldn't be on this forum.