Difference in upgrading to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 from Windows 7

TheArium
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

If you update a Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, you will be allowed to keep your files, settings and programs (right?)

I've read that if you upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 8.1, though, you will only be able to keep your files (don't know about settings) and not your programs.

So if I upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, and then update that version of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 on October 18th, then my programs and everything will still be there, right?

That is correct. As mentioned, Windows 8.1 will be an update available in the Windows App Store, and free for Win8 users.

What is highly recommended, much like Service Pack upgrades, is that if you don't use Microsoft anti-virus (Security Essentials), to uninstall yours BEFORE doing the upgrade process, as it might block dome system files from being updated, and broke the upgrade process, or make it fail. Once done, install it back.

Despite the missing/not missing programs, will there be any difference in upgrading W7->W8->W8.1 and W7->W8.1?

Yes, an extra step. :)

OK seriously now, we don't know until Win8.1 is released. But I don't see why it would be any different.

If you update a Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, you will be allowed to keep your files, settings and programs (right?)

I've read that if you upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 8.1, though, you will only be able to keep your files (don't know about settings) and not your programs.

So if I upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, and then update that version of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 on October 18th, then my programs and everything will still be there, right?

The reason I ask is I really want to keep paid software such as Microsoft Office 2010 on the computer.  ;)

Despite the missing/not missing programs, will there be any difference in upgrading W7->W8->W8.1 and W7->W8.1?

Isn't windows 8.1 just an update you apply in the windows store/windows update after you have 8 installed...o_o

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

As far as I know you will lose your programs if you update from Win 7 Pro / Ultimate to Win8 anyways.

And you can simply reinstall Office as long as you have your product key ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Isn't windows 8.1 just an update you apply in the windows store/windows update after you have 8 installed...o_o

Well there's a retail box for it, probably the same as Win7 incl. SP1 or something. BUt they have changed the upgradability. You cannot update from certain versions of XP or Vista anymore, and so on ^^

Well there's a retail box for it, probably the same as Win7 incl. SP1 or something. BUt they have changed the upgradability. You cannot update from certain versions of XP or Vista anymore, and so on ^^

Ah lol, didn't know :P

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

As far as I know you will lose your programs if you update from Win 7 Pro / Ultimate to Win8 anyways.

And you can simply reinstall Office as long as you have your product key ^^

You think I will ? Then what is the big difference between a clean install and an upgrade, then?

How do I re-install Office when I have the product key? I just went through my stuff and I actually found the box with the key inside.  :D

You think I will ? Then what is the big difference between a clean install and an upgrade, then?

How do I re-install Office when I have the product key? I just went through my stuff and I actually found the box with the key inside.  :D

Ahm, I usually just install office again... ^^ Did that multiple times works fine.

If you got 365 you'll have to deactivate the PC first in your live account. Office 2010 should just work [installed my 3x Copy of home and student over and over and over again on my dads, my bros and my pc]

Ok, I have a similar question and I'll post here to prevent spam;

I have my OS on my SSD and all my other programs on a HDD and I'm planning to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8. If I go head and do the upgrade will my programs on my HDD still be picked up as a "program" on Windows 8 or will the files just sit there and not be read as a program by the computer?

Specs: | NZXT Phantom 410 | AMD FX 8350 | Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ SLI | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Seagate 2TB & 1TB 7200RPM | Corsair Neutron 240GB | Corsair HX850 | Windows 7 64-Bit | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 | Razer Deathadder 2012 | Dell 17" & ASUS 21.5" x2 Monitors | Blue Snowball | Audiotechnica M30X | 

That is correct. As mentioned, Windows 8.1 will be an update available in the Windows App Store, and free for Win8 users.

What is highly recommended, much like Service Pack upgrades, is that if you don't use Microsoft anti-virus (Security Essentials), to uninstall yours BEFORE doing the upgrade process, as it might block dome system files from being updated, and broke the upgrade process, or make it fail. Once done, install it back.

Yes, an extra step. :)

OK seriously now, we don't know until Win8.1 is released. But I don't see why it would be any different.