*ANSWERED* Possible/Reasonable to host your own internet from home?

steve^

I've had LOTS of problems with isp's around my area and I have switched a few times between Verizon Fios and Comcast and they both have really bad customer support half the time im explaining how THEY should do THEIR jobs. It's ridiculous so I was wondering if it was possible, worth it and/or within a reasonable price range. And if you can could you explain how I would do something like this?

If you have tens of thousand of dollars to spend on construction costs and want to spend a lot more per month then yes, it's possible. You'll need to get fiber run to your house that connects to an upstream (like Level3, Cogent, HE, XO, etc...). A few years back HE (Hurricane Electric) contacted me about running fiber to my house for internet, they were willing the help pay the costs to run fiber to my house but it still would have cost me over $10k for the construction costs but my internet would have only been $1000 per month for a dedicated 1Gbps port (although if you know HE, they aren't known for their quality so $1/Mbps while cheap comes with packet loss).

-KuJoe

Long story short ISPs either piggy back from other networks or they have end agrreements with other servers and ISPs to exchange data. You can provide your own internet but that would mean having deals with major isps or just piggy backing on one or two isps

http://web.stanford.edu/class/msande91si/www-spr04/readings/week1/Howstuffworks.htm

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=332936

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

5 minutes ago, steve^ said:

I've had LOTS of problems with isp's around my area and I have switched a few times between Verizon Fios and Comcast and they both have really bad customer support half the time im explaining how THEY should do THEIR jobs. It's ridiculous so I was wondering if it was possible, worth it and/or within a reasonable price range. And if you can could you explain how I would do something like this?

Not really possible. My university is its own ISP, but its extremely expensive to do, and they only provide to the campuses. What problems did you have? You can try going with a commercial connection with a service level agreement so the provider must provide certain levels of service.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Well, I guess we now wait for Google Fiber to come to my city. *Facepalm*

1 hour ago, Rangaman42 said:

Not really possible. My university is its own ISP, but its extremely expensive to do, and they only provide to the campuses. What problems did you have? You can try going with a commercial connection with a service level agreement so the provider must provide certain levels of service.

I was just having problems with customer support when i called about speeds not being where they need to be and issues with internet dropping randomly at times. I seem to be ok for now but I was just asking in-case I had any further problems which for now I dont think I will. Thanks for the reply.

If you're close to a data center that has roof rights you can get quality internet for cheaper than the cost of laying fiber.

-KuJoe

You could start a deal where you and a couple neighbors pay to have a higher bandwidth and everyone splits the check, also you could scale it by adding more bandwidth per person. The only downside when ISPs find out, it all goes away and you need to have ethernet/coaxial cables everywhere.

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

If you're close to a data center that has roof rights you can get quality internet for cheaper than the cost of laying fiber.

If you're talking about buying a bigass antenna off of craigslist and setting it up on their roof, OP is gonna have one hell of a ping time.

1 hour ago, RedWulf said:

Long story short ISPs either piggy back from other networks or they have end agrreements with other servers and ISPs to exchange data. You can provide your own internet but that would mean having deals with major isps or just piggy backing on one or two isps

http://web.stanford.edu/class/msande91si/www-spr04/readings/week1/Howstuffworks.htm

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=332936

By piggybacking do you mean splitting the connection by using another co-ax cable? I've done that before and ISP's tend to get pretty mad at something like that haha.

2 minutes ago, steve^ said:

By piggybacking do you mean splitting the connection by using another co-ax cable? I've done that before and ISP's tend to get pretty mad at something like that haha.

lmao no no, I mean they just leach on to other providers wih agreements to share towers or infrastructure or essentially a small isp will use a larger isp and just cover material and labor etc  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 hour ago, RedWulf said:

lmao no no, I mean they just leach on to other providers wih agreements to share towers or essentially a small isp will use a larger isp and just cover material and labor etc  

Oh, alright lol well thanks for the help man I guess I wont be starting up an isp anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, steve^ said:

I was just having problems with customer support when i called about speeds not being where they need to be and issues with internet dropping randomly at times. I seem to be ok for now but I was just asking in-case I had any further problems which for now I dont think I will. Thanks for the reply.

I mean ISP customer support is universally useless, and unless you are guaranteed a certain speed, you won't get anywhere. You will find it hard to improve speeds much, unless you run a dedicated fibre line.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, steve^ said:

Oh, alright lol well thanks for the help man I guess I wont be starting up an isp anytime soon.

I can fly my 4g drone over your house for $500 monthly kappa

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

I can fly my 4g drone over your house for $500 monthly kappa

LOL that honestly would be amazing I wish I had a 4G drone I would fly it above me at all times 100%.

6 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

If you're talking about buying a bigass antenna off of craigslist and setting it up on their roof, OP is gonna have one hell of a ping time.

Higher latency versus dealing with ISP support. Pick your poison. :D

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Higher latency versus dealing with ISP support. Pick your poison. :D

Considering AT&T has stage 24 autism, and I game a lot, I would rather buy 1tb of data from sprint and hotspot it :P

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Considering AT&T has stage 24 autism, and I game a lot, I would rather buy 1tb of data from sprint and hotspot it :P

I heard T-Mobile has a good unlimited plan which allows unlimited hotspot data LOL

1 minute ago, AlexTheRose said:

My uncle is a networking technician, and ran 100 metres of fibre optic cabling from his house to his neighbour’s down the road. Over short distances, it’s not as expensive as you think to network your melon.

Latency?

3 minutes ago, steve^ said:

I heard T-Mobile has a good unlimited plan which allows unlimited hotspot data LOL

Also how did he keep dickheads from coming along and cutting his cable in two? He didn't dig up concrete did he?

8 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Also how did he keep dickheads from coming along and cutting his cable in two? He didn't dig up concrete did he?

I think this best describes it (last panel):

the_cloud.png

You'd be surprised how shallow fiber is buried across the US. Having experienced my fair share of fiber cuts in various data centers around the US, it's disturbing there's no standard depth that prevents people from burying it just a few feet from the surface. I'm not saying it needs to be buried 20ft, but 3-4 feet is not a good idea either. And I'm not even talking about residential fiber (which constantly gets cut by cable companies trying to compete with FiOS).

-KuJoe

as a belgian i dont understand you guy's frustration with ISPs...

my isp is working on upgrading their network (birdies are telling me 1.7Gbit) but they dont seem to find it necessary to boast about the superiority of fiber, while only supplying their top tier plans to a very limited number of users. (looking at that dutch isp getting "gigabit" here...)

meanwhile i'm just tanking along on my rusty, plain worn out coax line, hell, the wire going into my modem doesnt even have connectors on it anymore, and i get this reliably:

5239101611.png

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

5239101611.png

That download to upload ratio is depressing.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

That download to upload ratio is depressing.

its normal in belgium, and i've seen a lot worse.

(buisiness lines are better btw, and unlike in the states they barely cost more, a dude i know actually got hooked up with a buisiness line cheaper than the pleblines trough a loophole.)