*ANSWERED* Possible/Reasonable to host your own internet from home?

steve^
14 hours ago, manikyath said:

as a belgian i dont understand you guy's frustration with ISPs...

my isp is working on upgrading their network (birdies are telling me 1.7Gbit) but they dont seem to find it necessary to boast about the superiority of fiber, while only supplying their top tier plans to a very limited number of users. (looking at that dutch isp getting "gigabit" here...)

meanwhile i'm just tanking along on my rusty, plain worn out coax line, hell, the wire going into my modem doesnt even have connectors on it anymore, and i get this reliably:

5239101611.png

The problem we have is the isp's we have are dishonest. They throttle connections and they try and blame even the littlest problems on he customer. The internet is also very overpriced here.

15 hours ago, steve^ said:

I was just having problems with customer support when i called about speeds not being where they need to be and issues with internet dropping randomly at times. I seem to be ok for now but I was just asking in-case I had any further problems which for now I dont think I will. Thanks for the reply.

if this happends again the speed drops to null then randomly comes back have them replace the card at the center that your house connects too . i was having this problem a few months ago and after dozens of calls and 6 techs they replaced that one part and it all stop'd the drops and massive speed droops this was with fios . if they tell you they cant replace the card then when a tech comes have them call the local office and ask to check it

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS