My 6-year old Lenovo S110 starts to lag

graphicseater

and I am tempted to format the machine and install WindowsXP with Service Pack 3.Here's my main question:is it reasonable enough to replace my Windows 7 starter with WindowsXP? Or should I try another option to speedup my laptop?
I only use the laptop for watching movies and playing low spec games (also,the lowspec games even lags so much,lol)

system specs:

Lenovo S110

Intel Atom N2600 1.3GhZ

1GB DDR3 RAM

Intel HD Graphics (since I dont know if my laptop have graphics card)

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Get a stick of 2GB DDR3. 

Trust me when I say it speeds shit up tremendously.

This, and formatting is a good idea just be sure to use something solid like dban or herins not windows to format. You could try win7 but I doubt itll be faster it might be slower but trying it never hurt. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

This, and formatting is a good idea just be sure to use something solid like dban or herins not windows to format. You could try win7 but I doubt itll be faster it might be slower but trying it never hurt. 

It already has Windows 7 on it...

Starter, albeit, but 7 nonetheless.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

It already has Windows 7 on it...

Starter, albeit, but 7 nonetheless.

oh, blonde me, I thought it was going from xp to 7.

In that case you might get beter performance from xp yes. Depending on the games you play you may try Zorin Lite OS

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

seeing the price of DDR3, i'm backing the 2GB stick or even a 4GB stick (if thats something winderk starter supports, not sure what their limit is set at)

EDIT: nope, 2GB max, 2GB stick it is.

Seeing as this is an older machine, is Windows really a requirement? If it isn't I would really recommend Linux. Started using it to speed up my old Toshiba Satellite L-455 (Intel Celoron 900, 2GB DDR2); I started with Ubuntu as the obvious choice for a beginner, but slowly moved away. Now I'm running Antergos as my primary OS.

I also agree with people that said more RAM; definatelly that as well.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

I would not go to XP as Microsoft took it out behind the HQ and shot it dead. 6 years on a laptop is good, Id kinda go with @Lukiewookie, Linux at least when I used it in the past was very light weight. I found a lot of my favorite software had Linux versions. Such as chrome, VLC media player, and Steam. If you stick with Windows, Stay with Windows 7. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I would not go to XP as Microsoft took it out behind the HQ and shot it dead. 6 years on a laptop is good, Id kinda go with @Lukiewookie, Linux at least when I used it in the past was very light weight. I found a lot of my favorite software had Linux versions. Such as chrome, VLC media player, and Steam. If you stick with Windows, Stay with Windows 7. 

Not only does a lot of Windows software have alternatives on Linux, but you can use the likes of Wine to run Windows software on Linux. That being said, it is not the best solution if you are looking to run software build exlusively for Windows a lot of the time. Either way, you can try Linux from a USB without installing it, and have a look if it makes a reasonable difference.

(\__/)

3 hours ago, Lukiewookie said:

Not only does a lot of Windows software have alternatives on Linux, but you can use the likes of Wine to run Windows software on Linux. That being said, it is not the best solution if you are looking to run software build exlusively for Windows a lot of the time. Either way, you can try Linux from a USB without installing it, and have a look if it makes a reasonable difference.

I'll go with everyone else here. 

Windows 7 will always be slow on that CPU, no matter if you throw 2GB of RAM in it, and Windows XP is, at this point, a pretty bad security issue.

I put Lubuntu on a 2003 ThinkPad, now has 512MB RAM, and is more fluent to use than my 2011 mid-range PC...

EDIT:

Basically all software you'll be using on a machine this old will have a good version on Linux, especially if you go for Lubuntu and can use the Ubuntu repos, and the live USB is great to see if everything will work no problem. It will not reflect the performance, though, which is higher from a proper install.

3 hours ago, German_John said:

I'll go with everyone else here. 

Windows 7 will always be slow on that CPU, no matter if you throw 2GB of RAM in it, and Windows XP is, at this point, a pretty bad security issue.

I put Lubuntu on a 2003 ThinkPad, now has 512MB RAM, and is more fluent to use than my 2011 mid-range PC...

EDIT:

Basically all software you'll be using on a machine this old will have a good version on Linux, especially if you go for Lubuntu and can use the Ubuntu repos, and the live USB is great to see if everything will work no problem. It will not reflect the performance, though, which is higher from a proper install.

Nicely summarized here.

And if you want to go to the extreme, have a look at things like Puppy Linux, which can run exclusively from the RAM :P

However, for proper use, things like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, or even Arch (if you are knowledgeable with Linux and like to invest your time) will be solid options. 

Also, if you are really stuck on Windows XP or 7, try Zorin OS; I have no experience with it personally, but it is built for people that want to try Linux whilst having the transition from XP/7 as easy as possible.

Edited by Lukiewookie
Added a suggestion

(\__/)

On 4/10/2016 at 9:51 AM, Lukiewookie said:

Also, if you are really stuck on Windows XP or 7, try Zorin OS; I have no experience with it personally, but it is built for people that want to try Linux whilst having the transition from XP/7 as easy as possible.

Would not recommend here.

It's my go-to for people who've used Windows for ages and need a new machine. I originally turned to it because I couldn't set Vista up in English (crappy OEM, not that good with these things back then) and now I basically do all the systems in Zorin for humanitarian work because then the users have the same OS. (We don't use Windows because 1. it's expensive, 2. it needs its updates for security and 3. they don't have fast internet or flatrates there)

It feels a LOT like Windows 7. However, it's not as stable as your normal LTS, and it needs resources. I feel like it's comparable to a KDE desktop. I would not recommend using it with any less than 2GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo at 2+ GHz, really. I don't know about OPs CPU, but the RAM will not be enough. 

So really, both Cinnamon and LXDE are Windows enough. My mum can use it, so OP will feel right at home ;) 

Edited by German_John
Added some information