SSD vs HDD

Yelets

My question is very simple. I want to ask by what aspects is a ssd better than a hdd. I want to know all the pros because I already know the cons (high price and low storage capacity). And all the reviews just dont tell everything. So please help :)

An SSD uses flash chips instead of a spinning platter to save data to the drive. While they are more expensive, they have much faster read and write times and are in a smaller form factor than a standard desktop hard drive, 

ones fast small and expensive, the other is large cheap and slower. get a small ssd for your OS and then a 1tb hdd for everything else. the prices are dropping so its easier to get both

3 minutes ago, Yelets said:

You already know. SSDs are better than HDDs in everything other than cost and capacity.

Benefits for a laptop would be less battery usage, reduced heat on your palms ( depending on where your hardrive is located on your laptop. ) as well as no moving parts so it will/may last longer.

LTT made a few videos about this topic, go and watch them.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

There are dozens of articles and post about this

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

You already know. SSDs are better than HDDs in everything other than cost and capacity.

SSDs are also limited by write life and data recovery options

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

There are dozens of articles and post about this

SSDs are also limited by write life and data recovery options

While they are limited by write life, they have been shown to last drastically longer than advertised, and will still likely outlive any traditional hard drive, even if the HDD is put under a lesser workload. 

11 minutes ago, Yelets said:

My question is very simple. I want to ask by what aspects is a ssd better than a hdd. I want to know all the pros because I already know the cons (high price and low storage capacity). And all the reviews just dont tell everything. So please help :)

I'll add to the others, SSD's are more durable than HDD's as they don't have any moving components.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Another advantage of SSDs these days is physical size.  The latest Ultrabook and ultra-portable form factors really can't accommodate hard drives.

Also, SSDs have now exceeded HDDs density-wise due to 3D flash.  Samsung is shipping a 15TB SSD.

15 hours ago, Yelets said:

~snip~

Hey guys :)

Most pros and cons are pretty much listed already, but I wanted to add a couple more:
- As a con to SSD I must say that getting data off a failed SSD is nearly impossible due to the nature of storing it while recovering data  from a failed HDD is far easier both for end users and for data recovery companies, so in terms of data safety I would go with a HDD. 

- As a pro to SSDs, besides fast transfer speeds SSDs also have nearly instant access times which contributes to great responsiveness of the computer and boosts the overall performance of the system if you have the OS installed on it. Operations such as malware checks, booting and file search are dramatically improved.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

To put numbers to the things people are saying I googled some benchmarks for mobile HDDs and SSDs. I tried to pick some of the more popular drive SKUs for each category. Obviously there are higher performance and lower performance drives in each. But they're not that much different. Also higher RPM HDDs aren't anywhere near as popular now that SSDs exist:

Desktop HDD (2TB WD Green)

Access time: 15ms

Read speed: 123MB/s

Write speed: 123MB/s

Power usage under load: 5.8W

Power usage at idle: 5.2W

Mobile HDD (1TB WD Blue)

Access time: 16ms

Read speed: 110MB/s

Write speed: 110MB/s

Power usage under load: 3W

Power usage at idle: 0.32W