How long will my custom built PC last?

Icebonez
52 minutes ago, Icebonez said:

Why not exactly? I haven't heard anything bad about them and it seemed like a pretty good deal. Then again this is my first custom build

It is basically an FX 8320 with a mahooosive factory overclock. That comes with all the territory you'd expect: it's no higher value than much cheaper AMD products, it has all the same poor single threaded performance that dogs every AMD FX CPU that exists, it is a 5 year old part now, and the whole modules/cores thing that impact its multithreaded capabilities. However, it is a good value part if you are looking for a server CPU with virtualisation and don't fancy a Xeon/i7 Extreme.

I would follow the advice of others in this thread: buy a Skylake CPU.

So if i use an i5-6600k and the ASRock Z170 Gaming I should get a few years out of it for gaming, and when the time comes for an upgrade, I could just upgrade the CPU and keep her running smoothly?

• Don't buy a 9590. It is basically a 8350 that comes clocked at 5.0ghz out of the box. Either buy a 8350 or, as a better option look at a i5 6600k. If you really want AMD wait for am4 
  • Look at a larger hard drive or maybe a faster one. Maybe a 2tb WD Black? 
  • I never reccomend a closed loop AIO. As far as they go the h100i gtx is a solid option but I would reccomend either a enthusiast grade AIO like the EK predator or a high end air cooler like a Noctua NHD14 or a Cooler Master Master Air Maker 8 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

2 hours ago, Icebonez said:

So if i use an i5-6600k and the ASRock Z170 Gaming I should get a few years out of it for gaming, and when the time comes for an upgrade, I could just upgrade the CPU and keep her running smoothly?

The i5 6600K will last you a minimum of five years, for gaming anyways.  Until more games demand a thread count higher than the i5 has, the single core performance will last a long time.  I am still (3 years now) running my i5 3570K at stock speed (3.4GHz) and have yet to need the extra CPU power for any game I play.  When I do need more speed, I can overclock it.

As others have said, the FX 9590 is a waste of money.  It can use up to four times more power than a Skylake CPU and is roughly 30% slower (per core) at the same speed:

A 4.7GHz Sklake CPU will be roughly 30% faster on each core than a FX 9590 at the same 4.7GHz.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $834.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 00:30 EDT-0400

8 hours ago, Icebonez said:

From benchmarks it didn't look too bad tbh. So just go with a regular i5 or i7? I want to get the best and longest lasting rig i can buy without going broke so I'm open to suggestions.

6600k or 6700k would be your best bet for keeping the system for the longest amount of time

I was talking to my buddy and was thinking about going with the FX-8350 with an MSI 970. Is that gonna be better performance/longer lasting than an i5-6600k? If not what board will support SATA 3 and is gonna last me a good amount of time?

39 minutes ago, Icebonez said:

I was talking to my buddy and was thinking about going with the FX-8350 with an MSI 970. Is that gonna be better performance/longer lasting than an i5-6600k? If not what board will support SATA 3 and is gonna last me a good amount of time?

If you go for an FX-8350 then you are basically in the same boat (i.e No upgrade path and old architecture). An i5 6600K is a much better option as you would be able to buy an i7 6700K in the future should you need it, or a Kaby Lake cpu when they release as they are going to be on the same socket (LGA 1151).

7 minutes ago, Icebonez said:

So I completely redid my list with a 6700k, check out the list and see if I need and improvements:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4HmJFT

2x8GB performs better than 4x4GB.

Faster RAM (2800MHz+) does matter.

Black Series storage drive is unnecessary.

25 minutes ago, stconquest said:

2x8GB performs better than 4x4GB.

Faster RAM (2800MHz+) does matter.

Black Series storage drive is unnecessary.

I've heard the black does so much better than the blue tho, is it really worth the extra money?

Just now, Icebonez said:

I've heard the black does so much better than the blue tho, is it really worth the extra money?

nope