Hard drive showing too large of capacity?

Luke
Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,
1 minute ago, Luke said:

It shows 2TB on the label it would have to have been a mistake on Western Digital's part if it was actually a 6TB drive and not a 2TB. I was going to test if it holds the 5.45TB of capacity but i figured i'd ask around before i do an unnecessary amount of writing to the drive.

The drive needed formatting before it could be read and i did the default windows format and it showed up as 5.45TB.

I would just use a disk fill program or copy some drives to see if it holds 5tb. It may have been a return that got mislabeled or just dub luck. 

You can try a disk utility like minipart wizard or any other tool to double check then just set it to write overnight  

I bought a couple of used 2TB WD Blacks and one of them is showing 5.45TB under my computer and disk management. I'm not really sure what going on. I've tried reformatting the drive but that did nothing.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: To anyone with this same problem formatting with Minitool did sort of fix the issue but it still showed 5.45TB under windows disk management and when i reformatted the drive in windows it showed 5.45TB again. I managed to permanently fix the issue by using the quick zero fill with WD lifeguard and then formatting the drive under windows once that was finished.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Does it hold 5tb? Its possible someone messed up and sold you a bigger drive

Other than that I think it takes a good deal of work to casue a drive to show up as a larger size after formatting 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Does it hold 5tb? Its possible someone messed up and sold you a bigger drive

Other than that I think it takes a good deal of work to casue a drive to show up as a larger size after formatting 

It shows 2TB on the label it would have to have been a mistake on Western Digital's part if it was actually a 6TB drive and not a 2TB. I was going to test if it holds the 5.45TB of capacity but i figured i'd ask around before i do an unnecessary amount of writing to the drive.

The drive needed formatting before it could be read and i did the default windows format and it showed up as 5.45TB.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

1 minute ago, Luke said:

I would just use a disk fill program or copy some drives to see if it holds 5tb. It may have been a return that got mislabeled or just dub luck. 

You can try a disk utility like minipart wizard or any other tool to double check then just set it to write overnight  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

One thing to note is that i tested the first drive on an older Core 2 Quad PC and it formatted as 5.45TB so i thought "Hmm i probably should have tested the drives on my PC because i know some older computers have problems with high capacity hard drive" so i installed the second drive into my newer comp and after formatting it shows up as the proper 1.8TB so maybe something went wrong with the formatting on the older PC? I tried reformatting it on the new PC but it's still showing 5.45TB

I'll try writing to the drive to see it's real capacity if there's nothing else i can do. Thanks for the help so far everyone.

God wish I was lucky and got a drive that big..

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

14 minutes ago, papapoi said:

you might have got lucky and the seller accidentally gave you a 6tb drive , 5.45tb is the raw capacity for that drive.  

why dont i get that lucky , :P

What do you mean the "raw capacity" for the drive?

Diskpart it? 

Go to windows logo, right click

Click "Run" type "Cmd" (no quotes)

Then press enter

type "diskpart"

Press enter

Type "LIST DISK" 

See the 5.45TB or 2TB?

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

What do you mean the "raw capacity" for the drive?

that's what windows will show after you format the drive, usable space. 

this is from the western digital website it will give you info on the drive installed, search for your drive and submit and download 

File Size: 975 KB
Version: v1.29
Release Date: 10/2015 | Release Notes

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL&lang=en

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

On 4/6/2016 at 6:44 PM, RedWulf said:

I downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard and it showed it as a 2TB drive but also showed 5.45TB of free space so i formatted it with MiniTool and it's now showing 1.81TB in MiniTool and windows. Thanks =)

EDIT: To anyone with this same problem formatting with Minitool did sort of fix the issue but it still showed 5.45TB under windows disk management and when i reformatted the drive in windows it showed 5.45TB again. I managed to permanently fix the issue by using the quick zero fill with WD lifeguard and then formatting the drive under windows once that was finished.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

I downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard and it showed it as a 2TB drive but also showed 5.45TB of free space so i formatted it with MiniTool and it's now showing 1.81TB in MiniTool and windows. Thanks =)

Its my goto tool and I'm sorry for the loss lol

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]