Want to get new headphones... ~$50ish budget

steezemageeze

Go ahead and skip this paragraph if you want, it's just some background information on my situation. At the moment, I switch between a pair of Skullcandy Hesh 2's and a pair of Beats Wireless. The Hesh mostly stay at my desk and the Beats usually go with me. The Hesh are alright, but I feel like the sound could be better. The Beats on the other hand, are the most un-godly uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn, I can hardly wear them for more than 30 minutes. I don't really have much money to drop on a new pair of headphones right now, so I was thinking I'd sell the Beats to some middle schooler or freshman who doesn't know any better for like $100. That'd leave me with enough to grab a $50 pair of cans with some $$ to spare.

So basically my question is this: What is the "best" $50 pair of headphones that will outperform the Skullcandy Hesh and be more comfortable than the Beats Wireless that is over-ear, closed-backed, and as a bonus has a detachable cable?

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 419's, and I'm pretty sold on those at the moment, they look great and supposedly sound pretty good, although I could spend just a few more bucks and get the 429's or 439's, even though the 419's look better imo. Shit, I'm rambling again, sorry :P

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

The Superlux HD 681 EVO headphones, by a long shot.

If you prefer closed-back headphones (more isolation, less bleeding, smaller soundstage), then there's always the Audio Technica M20x headphones.

I have the HD429 and they sound very good, nice and clear, but they are very lacking in the bass if that is an issue for you

Just now, Dr. Xeno Pootis said:

Well, it depends on what music you like.

Do you want more bass, do you want overall, etc?

Bass is pretty important, music without bass is terrible imo. I listen mainly to rap, but my playlists are super eclectic so that's kinda a hard question to answer.

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

3 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Bass is pretty important, music without bass is terrible imo. I listen mainly to rap, but my playlists are super eclectic so that's kinda a hard question to answer.

I'd suggest the Sony Ma-300. They're open headphones, bassy, and they have decent comfort.

For first time builders, please use PCPartPickerLogical Increments

Also please keep a friendly tone at all times. Have a good day/night.

Sorry, I think you guys missed the "closed-back" part. I'll probably be using these in school during my programming class, so open backed headphones are kinda a no-no for me right now. I might check out the ATH-M20X's though, I've been in love with Audio Technica since the first time I watched MKBHD on youtube.

15 minutes ago, Sanderman135 said:

I have the HD429 and they sound very good, nice and clear, but they are very lacking in the bass if that is an issue for you

Really? I thought the 400 series was kinda bass-focused?

Audio Technia M20X

as @Aereldorsaid Superlux 681 evo

Sony MDRXB-480

Shure SRH145M

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Sorry, I think you guys missed the "closed-back" part. I'll probably be using these in school during my programming class, so open backed headphones are kinda a no-no for me right now. I might check out the ATH-M20X's though, I've been in love with Audio Technica since the first time I watched MKBHD on youtube.

Really? I thought the 400 series was kinda bass-focused?

None of the sennheiser headphones are really bass focused. Sennheiser focuses more on balanced sound, and very high build quality. The HD 429s are built like a tank. A nice plastic tank. 

OP there is always bass in headphones and headsets it just depends on how much bass you like.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.