can someone help in math

Tocsin_786

so for 3 years that ive been doing algebra ive never gotten one thing in my head and that is how to factor stuff. it never sits 

can somone hlep me out with this problem below. , link me to a good video that explains alll factoring methods and what not.

2x^2-2x-24≤0

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Ah damn numbers!

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

if it's 2x^2-2x-24=0  then that I can solve

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

It's actually quite easy. Just graph the zeros and when the graph is under the x-axis, it's less than zero.

post-8870-0-94733900-1379556157_thumb.pn

Since the degree is even and the leading coefficient is positive, the end behaviour as x approaches +/- infinity, y approaches + infinity.

To factor a quadratic with a leading coefficient of 1 in the format of ax^2-bx-c, you just have to find 2 numbers that multiply to -c, add up to -b. 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

if it's 2x^2-2x-24=0  then that I can solve

try to solve that i know how to change it back to the greater than and less than stuff

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

It's actually quite easy. Just graph the zeros and when the graph is under the x-axis, it's less than zero.

attachicon.gifmath.png

Since the degree is even and the leading coefficient is positive, the end behaviour as x approaches +/- infinity, y approaches + infinity.

it has to be done on a number line. and yea i know the steps. but need help getting the way to factor and all the different methods and ways of factoring down in my head.

attachicon.gifmath.png

Thank youuuu. the way i was thinking was how can i get something to multiply to 24 and still add to 2. i had 12 and something in my mind

I can but too lazy

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Thank youuuu. the way i was thinking was how can i get something to multiply to 24 and still add to 2. i had 12 and something in my mind

No. it was wrong...LOL...so gimme a sec to edit.

K, I just edited it.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Let's see if I still remember...

2x^2-2x-24 factors into (2x-8)(x+3).

Set to zero, and you have x _<-3 and x_<4 (dunno how to type less than or equal to, and too lazy to find out)

You'd want both to be true, so you'd end up with x_<-3. Similar to a boolean && in computer science.

Edit: Don't graph, you'll want to know how to do such low level math algebraically.

Edit to the Edit: This might be wrong, hang on while I do the problem once more.

Editception: Alright, so I remember now. You'll want to solve for zero, then divide the number line into possible portions, then test each portion.

Since your zeros are -3 and 4, you have the possible sections of (negative infinity, -3], [-3,4], and [4,infinity).

Take some test cases from each possible section: x=-4, x=0,x=5, respectively.

Test each case in original equation. 

For x=-4, 2x^2-2x-24 = 16. Since this is not less than or equal to zero, this portion must be incorrect.

For x=0, 2x^2-2x-24 = -24. Since this is less than or equal to zero, this portion is an answer.

For x=5, 2x^2-2x-24 = 16. Since this is not less than or equal to zero, this portion is incorrect.

You are left with [-3,4]. Remember that is it possible to have multiple portions that are correct.

No. it was wrong...LOL...so gimme a sec to edit.

lol. you had me banging my head on my desk.

lol. you had me banging my head on my desk.

Yeah me failing at math is a common thing. I understand it fully but what I write down is not what I'm thinking. It sucks that I have this problem....

attachicon.gifmath.png

To factor a quadratic with a leading coefficient of 1 in the format of ax^2-bx-c, you just have to find 2 numbers that multiply to -c, add up to -b. 

Well since he got it cheers @Tocsin_786

2x^2-2x-24 <=0

x^2-x-12 <=0

(x-4)(x+3)<=0

x>-4 and x<=4

I think

Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker  Mobo: Z77 sabertooth. CPU: 3770k @ 4.6ghz Ram: 16gbs corsair vengence GPU: EVGA gtx 680 Cooler: H100 PS: Corsair hx850 SSDs: 2x120gbs corsair and 1x250gbs Samsung 840, Sound card: Asus xonar essence stx, Speaker/headphone:Corsair Sp2500 and Sennheiser hd800

Mouse: Logitech G700s Keyboard: Logitech G710+

Monitor: BenQ XL2420T

than you all. i know its a tech forum but binaries are numbers too lol. anyways im gonna work on this i got a good idea of how to do it. its just that sometimes i cant get the right numbers or the method to do it as im tought how to do several methods.

I just updated my post to include the algebraic way of solving the problem. No problem, don't hesitate to ask for help. I just feel embarrassed that I missed the problem in my first attempt despite having a job tutoring calculus...

than you all. i know its a tech forum but binaries are numbers too lol. anyways im gonna work on this i got a good idea of how to do it. its just that sometimes i cant get the right numbers or the method to do it as im tought how to do several methods.

If you're trying to factor quadratics with a coefficient greater than 1, you can try the Australian method. I had one teacher that would teach that and it was so amazing and quick compared to what my other teachers taught. 

http://teengle.wordpress.com/2007/09/17/australian-factoring/

I just updated my post to include the algebraic way of solving the problem. No problem, don't hesitate to ask for help. I just feel embarrassed that I missed the problem in my first attempt despite having a job tutoring calculus...

yea helped out tremendously than you sooo much

If you're trying to factor quadratics with a coefficient greater than 1, you can try the Australian method. I had one teacher that would teach that and it was so amazing and quick compared to what my other teachers taught. 

http://teengle.wordpress.com/2007/09/17/australian-factoring/

this is a million times easier. thank you

this is a million times easier. thank you

No problem. That's exactly what I said when I changed teachers.

yzs4HL0.png

yea helped out tremendously than you sooo much

Here is the image format, sorry about the messy handwriting.

yzs4HL0.png

Here is the image format, sorry about the messy handwriting.

mine is just as bad handwriting lol.