(Poll) - Are you a gamer?

AstroBenny

Are you a gamer?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What type of gamer are you? (or not)

• Casual, just enjoy playing a wide range of games and appreciate the experience they offer.
    • Serious/"professional" - in it to win it.
    • Not a gamer - just happen to like computers/technology!

I'm interested to see what type of people we have in the LinusTechTips community.

What best defines yourself as a gamer?

Edit: By serious/professional I mean "hardcore gamer", not necessarily "professional gamer"

Too late to change it now :) 

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I play a lot but ehh proffesional? its not like im getting paid its just for fun.

I used to play a lot of games and sometimes competitively but now i just don't have the time to play a lot because of college and work so casual it is. 

Main Rig

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.9ghz | MotherBoard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero | GPU: EVGA SC GTX Titan OC'd | Case: 750D AirFlow Edition  | Power Supply: Corsair CX750M | RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V 4x8gb 32gb @ 2133mhz | Cooling: Corsair H115i GTX | Storage: 2 x WD Blue 2TB HDD

Girlfriend's Rig:

Spoiler

CPU: fx-6300| MotherBoard: Asus M5A97 | GPU: EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ GTX 960 2GB | Case: Deep Cool Tesseract | Power Supply: Corsair CX500M | RAM: 8GB | Cooling: Hyper 212 EVO | Storage: 1 WD Blue 1TB HDD 

1 minute ago, xgn said:

I play a lot but ehh proffesional? its not like im getting paid its just for fun.

Yeah - I sort of meant that you're a "hardcore" gamer, if you like.

Was an average gamer until Destiny came out. Then played every day for 18months straight. Purchased the last DLC and after completing the raid I just stopped playing and haven't touched it again since. Now I play casually again. Mostly the free games from Xbox Games for Gold. 

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

I just game for the experience, I hate competitive stuff, achievements, grinding, insane difficulty levels and I really hate losing. :P

Games I play are mostly the ones with pleasant controls, visuals and story, preferrable all three at once. I tend to pick Easy over Medium or Hard because I'm playing to enjoy the story, not to get pummeled. (Unless Easy makes me the bullet sponge and the enemy die from ballistic cottonballs.)

So yeah, I'm very, very, casual.

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

Im no Pro and im no Casual. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Wow. 100% of people are casual gamers as of my vote :D 

I tend to play for fun. Not serious. A lot of arms race and death match on CS:GO and occasionally a bit of casual or competitive with friends. 

I also play play other more story driven or casual games like Life Is Strange (finished a while ago but plan to revisit), Bioshock (currently playing and plan to play infinite soon) and minecraft (I have a 8 year old brother to play with don't judge me. It's calming). 

I probably more INTO tech than gaming although I enjoy both and probably game more than I work on tech. I love building and planning PCs as well as helping people here on the forums. I have done a few client builds and I tend to revamp my own rig too much. Keep an eye out for a rig update in the Build Logs section. 

Thanks ;) 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

Well, I make games, so...

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

2 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

Well, I make games, so...

Tell me more. I am intrigued. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

I'm more casual nowadays in my free-time, but I do run ESL tournaments on Rainbow Six Siege, and I did take CSGO and Dota very... VERY seriously. Generally when I play games like that, I'm in it to win, no compromises. The only games I can take slowly and a relaxed pace are fallout, skyrim, and minecraft.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

Im no Pro and im no Casual. 

I've been a gamer since NES and game when I can though I wouldn't say I'm a pro.

22 minutes ago, Kiosk said:

I've been a gamer since NES and game when I can though I wouldn't say I'm a pro.

Pro Gamer are People who make Money with it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I think people are taking the "casual" option way too defensively haha. I think in this poll's context, casual means non-professional. In other words, you like to play games but don't do it for a living/money. 

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

It might have been more clear if the option was called Hardcore Gamer instead of Professional Gamer. Though I guess in this context Pro would mean that you play purely to be the best, in which case, for example, ranking high in a global scoreboard would suffice.

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

16 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Where's the in-between option?

The description given for the Casual option here sounds to me like it's closer toward the middle than the way people usually use the term. I answered by pretending they hadn't used the toxic word "casual," because it otherwise described me well.

I used to take CS:GO quite serious, until I reached the highest level (global elite) and got bored of it. I'm starting to get into it again though after not playing for a couple of months.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

So, do you drive a semi-trailer or do you drive a scooter?

NO IN-BETWEEN OPTION FOR YOU!!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

As far as I can tell, I can't change the voting options..(which makes sense) but @typographie , you're right. I worded it wrong! Problem is, people keep replying and bumping it to the top :P

I play games to admire the music and art in it

So I hardly have any concern for achievements and such

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I'm not into the competitive side. Although I like challenging singleplayer games which create a sense of achievement and tension.

I like to play games for fun with no strings attached and not owing anybody anything. I guess that's also why I like singleplayer.

That doesn't mean i'm a casual gamer. The word 'casual' should not be used in the first category of the poll. Casual can have different connotations, and it's not really the opposite of competitive.