Found an old WD green hd

GeorgeKellow

Wont know until you tried. I have 4 of 1TB models which were originally in USB2 housings so very slow. Recently pulled them to use in actual PC builds. Made 2009 but very low power on hours so hopefully still good for a while. Be interesting to see what SMART reports.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Wont know until you tried. I have 4 of 1TB models which were originally in USB2 housings so very slow. Recently pulled them to use in actual PC builds. Made 2009 but very low power on hours so hopefully still good for a while. Be interesting to see what SMART reports.

The hard drive clicks and doesn't show up

13 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

The hard drive clicks and doesn't show up

Its dead. Move on. Probably wouldn't have been reliable to begin with.

15 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Clicking isn't a good thing. Is it recognized properly (model and capacity) in BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management

I'd also check if the drive can be recognized with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and, if yes, if it passes both the quick and the extended tests.

You can also check if the drive is recognized when booting from a Linux Live CD.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

51 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

Clicking isn't a good thing. Is it recognized properly (model and capacity) in BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management

I'd also check if the drive can be recognized with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and, if yes, if it passes both the quick and the extended tests.

You can also check if the drive is recognized when booting from a Linux Live CD.

Captain_WD.

The drive is completely dead :( the head sticks 

1 hour ago, GeorgeKellow said:

~snip~

I'm sorry to hear that. There may be some alternative methods that you may want to try but they are neither supported, nor considered safe for the drive, but if you have nothing to lose, it wouldn't hurt to try them (if the drive is out of warranty). :) You can check some solutions to problems connected to stuck heads and lowering the temperature of the drive so the head gets unstuck.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

36 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

I'm sorry to hear that. There may be some alternative methods that you may want to try but they are neither supported, nor considered safe for the drive, but if you have nothing to lose, it wouldn't hurt to try them (if the drive is out of warranty). :) You can check some solutions to problems connected to stuck heads and lowering the temperature of the drive so the head gets unstuck.

Captain_WD.

The head is now unstuck but it cannot detect or read the data xD RIP. Maybe you could send me a wd green ;)

1 hour ago, GeorgeKellow said:

~snip~

If the drive is under warranty, the guys at the support would gladly exchange it for a replacement one. :) I wish I could send one just like that but unfortunately I'm not able to. If it was up to me, it would be raining HDDs and NAS devices all over the place (well, carefully packed and maybe with a parachute, but still raining), but unfortunately - it's not. ^^ 

Cheers!

Captain_WD.

4 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

If the drive is under warranty, the guys at the support would gladly exchange it for a replacement one. :) I wish I could send one just like that but unfortunately I'm not able to. If it was up to me, it would be raining HDDs and NAS devices all over the place (well, carefully packed and maybe with a parachute, but still raining), but unfortunately - it's not. ^^ 

Cheers!

Captain_WD.

Believe it or not, the warranty ended last week :(

24 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

~snip~

I'd still contact our support and see if the guys there can do anything for you. :)

Post back when you get a response from them :)

Captain_WD.

~double post~

Edited by Captain_WD

3 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Believe it or not, the warranty ended last week :(

I've had some companies (namely Corsair) honor warranties that only recently ended. There's no reason not to try, it costs you little more than the time it takes to type an e-mail.

1 hour ago, typographie said:

I've had some companies (namely Corsair) honor warranties that only recently ended. There's no reason not to try, it costs you little more than the time it takes to type an e-mail.

I did that, they replied saying no :(( 

On 5.04.2016 г. at 9:47 PM, GeorgeKellow said:

~snip~

I'm sorry to hear that. Could you send me some details via a PM such as the drive's Serial Number, where and when you got it from, etc? I'll see if I can do anything about it :)

Captain_WD.