MSI HD 7850 1GB OC Fan not spinning

Dr3nz4r

The fan of my  MSI HD 7850 is not spinning at all.

I've visually checked the GPU and everything else and came to the conclusion that there is a resisttor (R15) which seems to be broken off. It's hanging on one saulder point.

Attached you find a image.

tell me if you think that may be the cause.

I've already tried everything software side to solve this problem.

I do need help asap.

Thank you guys

post-576-0-70205900-1379531792_thumb.jpg

post-576-0-33848800-1379531892_thumb.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

The pictures hurts me for some reason  :unsure:

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

RMA it.. or solder the resistor yourself. It might be the reason the fan's not working, but of course parts aren't supposed to be disconnected.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

RMA it.. or solder the resistor yourself. It might be the reason the fan's not working, but of course parts aren't supposed to be disconnected.

what would you suggest, if I bought this card used 2 day ago? i have not noticed that the fan isnt working till i started up some Metro, and my card ran at 110°C. It didnt smell burned in ayn way, hence i imediatly turned the game off and let the GPU cool down.

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

before soldering i would say install the card and gently apply pressure to the that and see if the fan works if not dont bother soldering just rma the card

because if you solder it and if still wont work you are screwed since you voided your warranty with doing 3rd party soldering on the board

what would you suggest, if I bought this card used 2 day ago? i have not noticed that the fan isnt working till i started up some Metro, and my card ran at 110°C. It didnt smell burned in ayn way, hence i imediatly turned the game off and let the GPU cool down.

just rma it then ,in here they replace a doa parts even if you notice it like 2 days later

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well im not sure if i want to gently push on the resistor, hence it could completely break off.

The card was bought sued, without a bill, can i still RMA it? if so how?

Well im not sure if i want to gently push on the resistor, hence it could completely break off.

The card was bought sued, without a bill, can i still RMA it? if so how?

yes if the card has warranty paperwork in 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

if oyu could explain me what warranty paperwork is? as said above, i do not have the bill of the card, either any box. It was included in a PC i bought, everything except the GPU is working fine. Its fan is not spinning. Probably because of Resistor 15

The card was bought sued, without a bill

Contact the seller and get  your money back since it's been only 2 days.

RMA seems like the best thing to do at this moment,

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Okay trying that

Okay RMA wouldn't be possible, and tips on how to handle that? I mean if i do bridge the contact the fans is working fine...

I have never soldered before or something silimar.

Okay RMA wouldn't be possible, and tips on how to handle that? I mean if i do bridge the contact the fans is working fine...

I have never soldered before or something silimar.

So you also can't return it to your seller even though its defective and why can't you RMA it? If you are worried about the shipping costs, you could ask MSI if they offer a shipping label so you can send it to them without having to pay shipping.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Where did you buy the computer from? online? If you used credit card to pay, you could call the card company a reject / refund the transaction because you received a faulty / damaged product.

So you also can't return it to your seller even though its defective and why can't you RMA it? If you are worried about the shipping costs, you could ask MSI if they offer a shipping label so you can send it to them without having to pay shipping.

I don't know why he can't return it to the seller (seller probably knows the card is damaged, maybe that's why he/she was selling?). The computer was purchased already assembled from another individual, and unfortunately, the seller DID NOT include any of the paperwork / receipts / original packaging for any of the components. He was essentially just given the system. I don't think MSi accepts RMA's / repairs without proof of purchase (receipt / bar code / etc).

If pushing the resistor down so it makes contact causes the fan(s) to work, then that is the culprit of the problem. Soldering isn't anything difficult, but if you have don't any soldering before, best to practice on a few things before trying it on your card. Better yet, if you know someone who has done soldering on small electronics, have them give you a hand. Anyways, your situation should be a veeery quick fix (quick as in like a 10sec - 2min job) if you can work a soldering iron.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

The Seller says it was 100%ly working the day before, and he screwerd the card in with 2 screws. It came to me absolutly unscrewed, and flying all over the place in the Case. I told him to pay me the money of the gpu back or give me bills, because he sais he bought it a year ago. But he dont want to do anything and does not even respond not. WHen fixing that Resistor with Ducttape the card is running flawless, but the ducttape goes off after ~ 1/2 hour.

Another thing is i dont even have a soldering station or anything similar, where could I let some one do this? maybe even for money? I payed 270€ For the PC which would cost aroun 400ish brand new, so i would ahve some budged to spend on the repair, before going into negatives

you could find some aftermarket cooler with fans.  Problems solved.

OR

buy a gpu fan header adapter and run the gpu fan from a mobo fan header to control the fan

The Seller says it was 100%ly working the day before, and he screwerd the card in with 2 screws. It came to me absolutly unscrewed, and flying all over the place in the Case. I told him to pay me the money of the gpu back or give me bills, because he sais he bought it a year ago. But he dont want to do anything and does not even respond not. WHen fixing that Resistor with Ducttape the card is running flawless, but the ducttape goes off after ~ 1/2 hour.

Another thing is i dont even have a soldering station or anything similar, where could I let some one do this? maybe even for money? I payed 270€ For the PC which would cost aroun 400ish brand new, so i would ahve some budged to spend on the repair, before going into negatives

If it is around a year, I would RMA it since it should be still under warranty and ask the seller for the original receipt. 

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

you could find some aftermarket cooler with fans.  Problems solved.

OR

buy a gpu fan header adapter and run the gpu fan from a mobo fan header to control the fan

its 1 little piece which would need to be fixed.. as i said ducttape does the job for abount 30 minutes. SO investing into a new cooler is not what i wanted to do.

If it is around a year, I would RMA it since it should be still under warranty and ask the seller for the original receipt. 

As i wrote, the seller is incooperative, and will not handle me the reciept. He also cancled the contact, so i cant get my money back

If the seller is cutting you off completely - being uncooperative, rejecting contact, and not willing to provide assistance for selling a faulty product - then this person KNEW the card was damaged. He is making up Bullsh!t and trying to get away with it, CLEARLY! Screws don't come loose flying all over the place like that when fastened correctly (or even turned a few times with your hand; don't even have to be tight).

270 for a complete system...way too good to be true IMO.

Where and how did you buy the computer? (eBay? Cash? Debit? Credit?) Like said before, if you purchased with credit card (sometimes even debit) you can ask the company (i.e. eBay) or your credit card company to REJECT THE TRANSACTION / PURCHASE. They'll ask for a reason - you give them the damn reason; faulty / damaged product.

These situations happen, and sometimes is not too uncommon. That's why you should've looked over the computer thoroughly before handing him the money.

Anyways, the repair shouldn't cost a fortune (or even free). Maybe if you take it to a computer shop or a private electronics repair shop, they could repair it for you on the spot. Like I said before, it takes a few seconds to fix.

(If I lived near your area, I'd GLADLY do it for you hassle free)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If the seller is cutting you off completely - being uncooperative, rejecting contact, and not willing to provide assistance for selling a faulty product - then this person KNEW the card was damaged. He is making up Bullsh!t and trying to get away with it, CLEARLY! Screws don't come loose flying all over the place like that when fastened correctly (or even turned a few times with your hand; don't even have to be tight).

270 for a complete system...way too good to be true IMO.

Where and how did you buy the computer? (eBay? Cash? Debit? Credit?) Like said before, if you purchased with credit card (sometimes even debit) you can ask the company (i.e. eBay) or your credit card company to REJECT THE TRANSACTION / PURCHASE. They'll ask for a reason - you give them the damn reason; faulty / damaged product.

These situations happen, and sometimes is not too uncommon. That's why you should've looked over the computer thoroughly before handing him the money.

Anyways, the repair shouldn't cost a fortune (or even free). Maybe if you take it to a computer shop or a private electronics repair shop, they could repair it for you on the spot. Like I said before, it takes a few seconds to fix.

(If I lived near your area, I'd GLADLY do it for you hassle free)

Thank you for this more then useful post. Bad thing you live so far away, shipping costs double of the cards new price..

Well i paied with Paypal via "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" which is a mini ebay, for "local" trades, which are not covered by Paypal/Ebay's secure trade thingy.....

Also that resistor is the only problem at all on this PC and to be honest.. investing 20 bucks to repair it, still makes this a cheap powerful rig..

Just for teh lulz the specs:

Sharkoon T9 somewhat case

Akassa Fan controller

4 CM LED fans (140mm)

Sychete Mungen Rev 2

Asus M5A97

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (Clocked at 4GHZ on 1.325V, verry good binned)

MSI HD 7850 1GB OC (the "faulty card")

8GB of G.Skill Ripjawz X 1600MhZ

Thermaltake Hamburg 530W

500GB WD green

2x 250GB Samsung HDD (configured as raid 0 boot hdd)

this PC is for my brother, to get rid of his old laptop which he uses for gaming.. he can abrely play TF2 on medium settings.. on lowest possible (native res 1366x768) he gets like 60ish fps... so i wanted him to be able to play like a real guy, and also ahve the ability to slop in another 7850 for Crossfire, if the GPU gets a bit older or the game is just more GPU heavy.

So best way is to repair dat thing..

What would you say, could i easily learn to solder this? Or do you know any shops or firms in germany doing such a service?

Thank you very much for all those good contibutions :) LLT Forumz rulez

Thank you for this more then useful post. Bad thing you live so far away, shipping costs double of the cards new price..

Well i paied with Paypal via "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" which is a mini ebay, for "local" trades, which are not covered by Paypal/Ebay's secure trade thingy.....

Also that resistor is the only problem at all on this PC and to be honest.. investing 20 bucks to repair it, still makes this a cheap powerful rig..

Just for teh lulz the specs:

Sharkoon T9 somewhat case

Akassa Fan controller

4 CM LED fans (140mm)

Sychete Mungen Rev 2

Asus M5A97

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (Clocked at 4GHZ on 1.325V, verry good binned)

MSI HD 7850 1GB OC (the "faulty card")

8GB of G.Skill Ripjawz X 1600MhZ

Thermaltake Hamburg 530W

500GB WD green

2x 250GB Samsung HDD (configured as raid 0 boot hdd)

this PC is for my brother, to get rid of his old laptop which he uses for gaming.. he can abrely play TF2 on medium settings.. on lowest possible (native res 1366x768) he gets like 60ish fps... so i wanted him to be able to play like a real guy, and also ahve the ability to slop in another 7850 for Crossfire, if the GPU gets a bit older or the game is just more GPU heavy.

So best way is to repair dat thing..

What would you say, could i easily learn to solder this? Or do you know any shops or firms in germany doing such a service?

Thank you very much for all those good contibutions :) LLT Forumz rulez

It seems pretty easy since there are no connections around the resistor so you wouldn't be scared to accidentally connect other stuff together using the solder. I would maybe ask some electronics part store to see if they have a soldering iron so they can help you do this. I seems pretty easy to solder it together imo. Just try not to burn it and you would have to put the soldering iron on it for a short period of time to avoid burning it.

It seems pretty easy since there are no connections around the resistor so you wouldn't be scared to accidentally connect other stuff together using the solder. I would maybe ask some electronics part store to see if they have a soldering iron so they can help you do this. I seems pretty easy to solder it together imo. Just try not to burn it and you would have to put the soldering iron on it for a short period of time to avoid burning it.

any Idea which kind of store does such things? I've heared clockmakers often does it, but our local one doesnt even ahve a soldering iron. the next pc store is 1 1/2 hours far away

any Idea which kind of store does such things? I've heared clockmakers often does it, but our local one doesnt even ahve a soldering iron. the next pc store is 1 1/2 hours far away

I would think maybe electronic parts store like I said above that sells small electronic parts like motors,screws, LEDs etc. because they would probably have a soldering iron there and you could borrow it.