Favorite Manufacturer?

So I'm currently looking into getting a gaming headset and I'm not really sure what manufacturer would be best.

I've been eyeing Audio Technica and Sennheiser, but what are your favorites for headphones? I'm a big audiophile, so I'm trying to get the best, at a relatively cheap and not too bad price.

Thanks,

Jettster

If you are an audiophile, you should be looking at a normal headphone plus microphone.

Budget for this likely-to-end-in-tears venture?

I would not really consider a headset. Look at a pair of good headphones and either a modmic or a desk mic.

I reccomend that you look at the lower and mid end HD series from Sennhieser and the ATH-M series from audio technical. The HD598s and the M50xs and M40s are good picks. Also check out Grado. 

As for mids I reccomend you look at the Blue yeti or the AT2020+ if you want a good desk mic or the modmic if you want a headset type deal. Another more budget oriented option is the blue snowball. For cheap quality it is great. 

Hope I helped :) 

tell me what you think :D 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

I like AKG, Hifiman, audio technica AD series and sennheiser.

If you are a audiophile, why are you looking at headsets and not really good headphones and then add a mic to them later.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 hours ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

I would not really consider a headset. Look at a pair of good headphones and either a modmic or a desk mic.

I reccomend that you look at the lower and mid end HD series from Sennhieser and the ATH-M series from audio technical. The HD598s and the M50xs and M40s are good picks. Also check out Grado. 

As for mids I reccomend you look at the Blue yeti or the AT2020+ if you want a good desk mic or the modmic if you want a headset type deal. Another more budget oriented option is the blue snowball. For cheap quality it is great. 

Hope I helped :) 

tell me what you think :D 

He will want to stay away from the ATH M series..... And from Senn the HD558 is better priced..

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

4 hours ago, sobe said:

He will want to stay away from the ATH M series..... And from Senn the HD558 is better priced..

What's wrong with the ATH-M series? And yeah true. The build quality is a step below the 598s though...

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

18 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

What's wrong with the ATH-M series? And yeah true. The build quality is a step below the 598s though...

No soundstage at all in the ATH-M series. The 558 sound just like the 598 so yeah the build is a little bit worse but that is it.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

38 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

No soundstage at all in the ATH-M series. The 558 sound just like the 598 so yeah the build is a little bit worse but that is it.

Fom personal experience, they are fine. The soundstage is decent and open enough for a pair of closed back headphones. But yeah, in gaming the extra soundstage might be a selling point if he plays a lot of CS:GO or somthing where he needs to hear everything, like footsteps. 

And  D yeah they do sound pretty much the same. I felt like the 558s were a bit plasticky and tight and they ended up hurting my head. This wantnt a problems with the 598s. The Q701s are also a nice pick comfort wise. They tend to be a bit fatiguing over long gaming or listening sessions though... 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

1 minute ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Fom personal experience, they are fine. The soundstage is decent and open enough for a pair of closed back headphones. But yeah, in gaming the extra soundstage might be a selling point if he plays a lot of CS:GO or somthing where he needs to hear everything, like footsteps. 

And  D yeah they do sound pretty much the same. I felt like the 558s were a bit plasticky and tight and they ended up hurting my head. This wantnt a problems with the 598s. The Q701s are also a nice pick comfort wise. They tend to be a bit fatiguing over long gaming or listening sessions though... 

If you have tried closed headphones with a decent soundstage then you will start thinking that the m50x has no soundstage.

Do you like the Q701? Many people say that they sound good, but the head padding is bad and it hurst after longet use.

Alright yeah, I made a mistake in saying headset. :P

HEADPHONES is the better word to use here.

So Sennheiser and AT are pretty good brands is what most/some here would agree on?

1 hour ago, Jettster said:

Alright yeah, I made a mistake in saying headset. :P

HEADPHONES is the better word to use here.

So Sennheiser and AT are pretty good brands is what most/some here would agree on?

Don't look at specific brands look at specific headphone quality, every brand has a bad headphone or two, while some brands have a few great headphones ex. Fedlio X2 is the only headphone I would consider from Phillips.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

25 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

Don't look at specific brands look at specific headphone quality, every brand has a bad headphone or two, while some brands have a few great headphones ex. Fedlio X2 is the only headphone I would consider from Phillips.

SHP 9500 is also very good for it's price, but everything else is true.

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

If you have tried closed headphones with a decent soundstage then you will start thinking that the m50x has no soundstage.

Do you like the Q701? Many people say that they sound good, but the head padding is bad and it hurst after longet use.

I personally found the actual build of the q701s to be super comfy after a bit of wear over a week however the sound is pretty treble heavy so it kinda hurt my ears after a while. 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

13 hours ago, Dackzy said:

The headband on the Q701s, is evil incarnate. I've never worn a pair of headphones that I hated so much. I couldn't even fairly audition their sound quality, because I couldn't keep them on my head long enough

4 hours ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

I personally found the actual build of the q701s to be super comfy after a bit of wear over a week however the sound is pretty treble heavy so it kinda hurt my ears after a while. 

you are one of few people who can have them on your head.

29 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

you are one of few people who can have them on your head.

Smaller friends have said that they were hurting their head. Im thinking that the irritation might have been caused by the large size of he ear ups. Having a big head, I found them ok but not incredible. It was more the headband that I liked, as it put very lirttle pressure on my head

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

1 hour ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

The headband on the Q701s, is evil incarnate. I've never worn a pair of headphones that I hated so much. I couldn't even fairly audition their sound quality, because I couldn't keep them on my head long enough

I loved the headband. 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

38 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Smaller friends have said that they were hurting their head. Im thinking that the irritation might have been caused by the large size of he ear ups. Having a big head, I found them ok but not incredible. It was more the headband that I liked, as it put very lirttle pressure on my head

I have the 612 and I have no problem with them, but the 701 headband is a nope for me.

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I have the 612 and I have no problem with them, but the 701 headband is a nope for me.

I guess user comfort is one of those very personal things...

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X