Is LMG Hiring Interns?

NavXIII

Or just hiring in general?

This thought came across my mind while I was applying for positions on our university's career search website. I'm a mechatronics engineering student. I'm skilled in Solidworks, 3D printing, and wood/metal work. I have knowledge of micro-controllers which means I could make custom input devices like custom HOTAS, fight sticks, and keypads ,among other things. I'm also quite good at video editing and building PC rigs (This isn't a resume post so I'll keep it sparse). I also live 15 minutes away.

For those who would probably say "why would LMG need an engineering student?" or "wouldn't you be better off at an engineering firm than here?"  To answer that, for our first 4 month co-op, most of us end up working in IT, at a retail tech store like Apple, as a professor's lab assistant (with $2/hour pay), or if we're lucky a mundane desk job. Only crazy 4.0 GPA students end up at places like Google and Tesla on the first co-op. We even has postings on our career site from the Coast Guard and Army targeting engineering students despite them not really being "engineering" jobs. The first internship is really just to make our resume look good for our second and third internships at engineering firms.

I've heard Linus comment that they're hiring in the past.

You should call them though, to confirm.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

It would probably be best to actually send an email to Linus Media Group, rather than asking a forum of users, most of which have no official affiliation to LMG. 

5 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

Or just hiring in general?

This thought came across my mind while I was applying for positions on our university's career search website. I'm a mechatronics engineering student. I'm skilled in Solidworks, 3D printing, and wood/metal work. I have knowledge of micro-controllers which means I could make custom input devices like custom HOTAS, fight sticks, and keypads ,among other things. I'm also quite good at video editing and building PC rigs (This isn't a resume post so I'll keep it sparse). I also live 15 minutes away.

For those who would probably say "why would LMG need an engineering student?" or "wouldn't you be better off at an engineering firm than here?"  To answer that, for our first 4 month co-op, most of us end up working in IT, at a retail tech store like Apple, as a professor's lab assistant (with $2/hour pay), or if we're lucky a mundane desk job. Only crazy 4.0 GPA students end up at places like Google and Tesla on the first co-op. We even has postings on our career site from the Coast Guard and Army targeting engineering students despite them not really being "engineering" jobs. The first internship is really just to make our resume look good for our second and third internships at engineering firms.

Check the LMG website for job postings, is what I'd suggest.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

13 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I've heard Linus comment that they're hiring in the past.

Wasn't that back in 2013?

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It would probably be best to actually send an email to Linus Media Group, rather than asking a forum of users, most of which have no official affiliation to LMG. 

Will do after my finals in 2 weeks. I just wanted to ask to see the community's opinion first.

11 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Check the LMG website for job postings, is what I'd suggest.

Didn't know they had another website. Seems like they only have postings for video editors and camera operators.

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

@LinusTech

Grab the kid up for a few months!

xD

Thanks y'all for the speedy replies!

8 March.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

29 minutes ago, Energycore said:

8 March.

Ah. I vaguely recall a hiring post on the forums a few years back. I was referring to that. Anyways, it seems like they are only hiring editors and camera operators, which I could apply for (photography and After Effects are my hobbies), but I don't think my co-op adviser wouldn't be very happy if I didn't get to apply a few of the skills I picked up in university, nor do I think I can compete directly with fully certified editors that would definitely apply.

I'll still shoot them an email about it since we first time interns aren't supposed to make more than $16k (most being below $10K) so I don't think it'll be a big financial hit to them, and they'll probably recoup the cost if I'm working 40 hours a week making cool stuff they can feature on videos. xD

EDIT: Noticed that those positions they currently have are full time permanent. 

4 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

Ah. I vaguely recall a hiring post on the forums a few years back. I was referring to that. Anyways, it seems like they are only hiring editors and camera operators, which I could apply for (photography and After Effects are my hobbies), but I don't think my co-op adviser wouldn't be very happy if I didn't get to apply a few of the skills I picked up in university, nor do I think I can compete directly with fully certified editors that would definitely apply.

I'll still shoot them an email about it since we first time interns aren't supposed to make more than $16k (most being below $10K) so I don't think it'll be a big financial hit to them, and they'll probably recoup the cost if I'm working 40 hours a week making cool stuff they can feature on videos. xD

EDIT: Noticed that those positions they currently have are full time permanent so no point in applying for me! 

They have most need for presenters, camera people and editors. I would love if they got real producer or sound guy. Engineering student... not really seeing value in their line of work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv