Advice on an Upgraded Build

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Yeah...that's true, but there is the option of disabling crossfire and just running one r9 390. I want to be a youtuber that is different though. I dont want the standard 980 ti (which is why i was looking at the r9 fury x), then the 390x2 popped up with it's low price point, high amounts of vram and performance up with the r9 fury x

lol just jump on the dual card, you know the issues, but you do then get to say you own like a 10 pound 6 fan GPU that is a total beast.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's not too bad, but like I said, that 390x can be as fast as a fury for less, and you get the extra VRAM, that would be your best choice for what you want to do most likely, and it's quiet and water cooled.

not sure if you can disable one of the GPUs, have read conflicting info, might be a card by card basis or something.

Also, I dont plan on overclocking...mostly because i had to rma my last card for it

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

The r9 390x2 though is much cheaper than 2 970s. In australia, two 970s cost around $1000. THe R9 390X2 is around $800 and comes with a $200 mouse

Like, it's a cool card and if all the games you play support crossfire well, then maybe consider it, I suppose you could always just sell the mouse later as well.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Like, it's a cool card and if all the games you play support crossfire well, then maybe consider it, I suppose you could always just sell the mouse later as well.

I'll probably keep the mouse...mostly because I need a mouse and I already have a razer blackwidow ultimate

4 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

I'll probably keep the mouse...mostly because I need a mouse and I already have a razer blackwidow ultimate

Well I suppose just go for it then, you could also do a custom water cooling loop at some point to make it a lot quieter, if anyone actually makes a waterblock for that particular card.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Well I suppose just go for it then, you could also do a custom water cooling loop at some point to make it a lot quieter, if anyone actually makes a waterblock for that particular card.

Not for the 390x2...as far as I know, it doesnt have any custom waterblocks. If I could, I would, but I don't think it does

On 02/04/2016 at 9:30 AM, Streetguru said:

So do you think the 390x2 or going a little bit more expensive for the r9 fury?

Just now, jkeasley said:

So do you think the 390x2 or going a little bit more expensive for the r9 fury?

390X devil*

but really like why don't you just get a 390, and wait for polaris/pascal? maybe spend the rest on a nice free-sync display, seems like you only have 1080p 60hz displays anyways

Spoiler

390X devil*

but really like why don't you just get a 390, and wait for polaris/pascal? maybe spend the rest on a nice free-sync display, seems like you only have 1080p 60hz displays anyways

I read an article saying that polaris is for consoles and high end gaming notebooks

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

390X devil*

I don't know...I love the water cooling, but...it's nice to play games in ultra, but not going as expensive as a 980 Ti

I read an article saying that polaris is for consoles and high end gaming notebooks

Naw man, they already showed a desktop GPU running, in that test vs the 950, it's more power efficient, but it still has more performance.

as far as gaming at ultra, I still run a 7850 and game at 1440p just fine, I don't really care about graphics, would rather have like a 144hz IPS display

Spoiler

Naw man, they already showed a desktop GPU running, in that test vs the 950, it's more power efficient, but it still has more performance.

as far as gaming at ultra, I still run a 7850 and game at 1440p just fine, I don't really care about graphics, would rather have like a 144hz IPS display

Oh yeah, I plan on getting a freesync 144hz display...two of them...aoc monitors

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't want to wait until the end of 2016, just because I'm waiting for a gpu and the fact that I'm waiting until the end, for a gpu that compares to a gtx 950

I want something more powerful than that, but I think that the higher end one is the pro duo for $1500, which isnt worth it

5 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Oh yeah, I plan on getting a freesync 144hz display...two of them...aoc monitors

Dunno about 2 exactly...if they were only 1080p the secondary display would be pretty limiting, but ya a 390 + display upgrade would probably be best overall, even if it's just a 1440p IPS display, which makes for a great secondary display even while in portrait, 1080p is just short of having enough vertical pixels to work well in portrait mode.

the pro duo is the Dual Fury X card, which isn't too great for anything that isn't an ITX PC

In any case the water cooled 390X is going to be your best bet most likely overall if you want a powerful GPU for a decent price.

Spoiler

Dunno about 2 exactly...if they were only 1080p the secondary display would be pretty limiting, but ya a 390 + display upgrade would probably be best overall, even if it's just a 1440p IPS display, which makes for a great secondary display even while in portrait, 1080p is just short of having enough vertical pixels to work well in portrait mode.

the pro duo is the Dual Fury X card, which isn't too great for anything that isn't an ITX PC

In any case the water cooled 390X is going to be your best bet most likely overall if you want a powerful GPU for a decent price.

Without turning this into an argument

Yes, the 390x devil is good, but the 390x2 performs at the levels of a 980 ti at pretty much the same price as the 390x devil

I think that it has now turned into a 390x2 vs 390x devil vs r9 fury

Because the r9 fury is much better than the GTX 980

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

Without turning this into an argument

Yes, the 390x devil is good, but the 390x2 performs at the levels of a 980 ti at pretty much the same price as the 390x devil

I think that it has now turned into a 390x2 vs 390x devil vs r9 fury

Because the r9 fury is much better than the GTX 980

problem being the game has to support crossfire well for the dual 390, if you're willing to live with that, and the really high end PSU required, then go for it you do still get the nice mouse with it, and if it's cheap you might as well get it.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I dont know. I'm in a rut here. I was looking at the r9 390x2 due to its amazing price to performance ratio, but the r9 fury is a single card at around the same performance, but is more expensive, but the 390x devil is water cooled

but isn't red and black :P

because im looking for a red and black themed build

problem being the game has to support crossfire well for the dual 390, if you're willing to live with that, and the really high end PSU required, then go for it you do still get the nice mouse with it, and if it's cheap you might as well get it.

Yeah...that's true, but there is the option of disabling crossfire and just running one r9 390. I want to be a youtuber that is different though. I dont want the standard 980 ti (which is why i was looking at the r9 fury x), then the 390x2 popped up with it's low price point, high amounts of vram and performance up with the r9 fury x

lol just jump on the dual card, you know the issues, but you do then get to say you own like a 10 pound 6 fan GPU that is a total beast.

Spoiler

Because dont forget, the 390x2 is a devil card

And it comes with an rrp $200AUD mouse...I could sell that for $150 (but i wont)

5 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

And it comes with an rrp $200AUD mouse...I could sell that for $150 (but i wont)

Right, also just make sure that PSU can handle the card, needs o be able to delivery 50amps or something like that, but that 1500W one should be fine

although that one is probably overkill

could save some cash and go for this one from EVGA

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220p21200x1

10/10 on jonnyguru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=389

Spoiler

On 02/04/2016 at 1:34 PM, stconquest said:

Not enough power.  Grab two AX1500is.

Corsair 750d

Right, also just make sure that PSU can handle the card, needs o be able to delivery 50amps or something like that, but that 1500W one should be fine

although that one is probably overkill

Just in case, plus it should future proof for another 10years+...that is unless it breaks

Heres my build, im also adding in some black and red cable mod cables:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($559.00 @ Umart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($409.00 @ IJK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($483.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Transcend SSD370 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $79.00) 
Storage: Toshiba  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $99.00) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390X2 16GB Devil 13 Video Card 
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($199.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($595.00 @ Umart) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $139.00) 
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016 Wired Standard Keyboard  (Purchased For $165.00) 
Other: NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting Kit ($95.00)
Total: $3001.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 09:59 AEST+1000

Just now, jkeasley said:

edited my post, you'd be fine saving a bunch of cash with the 1200W EVGA one

Spoiler