Advice on an Upgraded Build

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Yeah...that's true, but there is the option of disabling crossfire and just running one r9 390. I want to be a youtuber that is different though. I dont want the standard 980 ti (which is why i was looking at the r9 fury x), then the 390x2 popped up with it's low price point, high amounts of vram and performance up with the r9 fury x

lol just jump on the dual card, you know the issues, but you do then get to say you own like a 10 pound 6 fan GPU that is a total beast.

Build here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($559.00 @ Umart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($545.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($205.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Transcend SSD370 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $79.00) 
Storage: Toshiba  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $99.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($595.00 @ Umart) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $19.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $139.00) 
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016 Wired Standard Keyboard  (Purchased For $165.00) 
Total: $2763.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 14:25 AEDT+1100

The build is for content creation and I have to save up for the build so the budget doesnt really matter

no gpu but a 500 dollar mobo 

get 

i7 6700k

asus 1170-ar 1151

good to go

Instead of the 128GB SSD go for the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. It's only $10ish more but you get almost double the space.

45 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

You need a basic GPU to get a video output

that PSU is way overkill and not needed

also if you're going to buy windows don't get an OEM key as they get locked to your hardware.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

With your build, I'd say go for an R9 Fury X or a GTX 980Ti.

Fury X for OpenCL rendering and/or Double Precision Performance.

GTX 980Ti for CUDA rendering.

Not recommending the Titan X for its poor price to performance.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

18 hours ago, anterioreight27 said:

no gpu but a 500 dollar mobo 

get 

i7 6700k

asus 1170-ar 1151

good to go

I'm not doing that. There's reasons why there's no gpu there. I'm going with the 5820K and the R9 390X2

18 hours ago, Piemanfood said:

Instead of the 128GB SSD go for the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. It's only $10ish more but you get almost double the space.

Storage: Transcend SSD370 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $79.00) 

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

also if you're going to buy windows don't get an OEM key as they get locked to your hardware.

It isnt overkill, I just forgot to put in the R9 390X2. Requires 1000W minimum

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I already have windows

17 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

With your build, I'd say go for an R9 Fury X or a GTX 980Ti.

Fury X for OpenCL rendering and/or Double Precision Performance.

GTX 980Ti for CUDA rendering.

Not recommending the Titan X for its poor price to performance.

Hmm...good suggestion. I was going with the R9 390X2 due to it's price and the fact that it comes with the razer ouroborus. Because of the CPU, I should be fine for rendering. I don't really want to go all the way to $1000AUD so I decided to go with this powerhouse with 16GB of vram for Skyrim modding to hell and back

8 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

With crossfire/SLI until DX12 gets updated anyways, the cards have mirrored VRAM, so you only get 8 gets usable. DX12 should have the ability to utilize the VRAM from both cards at some point anyways.

while that card is amazingly awesome, you're be better off just getting a single Fury card for game compatibility, or a single 390X, maybe the Devil card if it were still a decent deal in AUS

well, bit more expensive then, but still not too bad given that the Fury cards are 800

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9390x8gbd5adhe

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Hmm...good suggestion. I was going with the R9 390X2 due to it's price and the fact that it comes with the razer ouroborus. Because of the CPU, I should be fine for rendering. I don't really want to go all the way to $1000AUD so I decided to go with this powerhouse with 16GB of vram for Skyrim modding to hell and back

Is it the PowerColor Devil 13 Dual R9 390 you are talking about?

Not sure how good a dual GPU is for rendering, but it's not ideal for DX11 gaming due to multiple issues with scaling and frame times. DX12 can, however, turn the tables around with split frame rendering.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

16 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Not sure how good a dual GPU is for rendering, but it's not ideal for DX11 gaming due to multiple issues with scaling and frame times. DX12 can, however, turn the tables around with split frame rendering.

Yeah, its the dual core. Just due to it's price and (according to other people) the fact that it can outperform a 980 Ti (dont quote me)

17 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

It's not meant to be for rendering, it's actually just for gaming. The 5820K is for rendering as it shouldnt take long with dx12 making use of more cores

56 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

-snip-

Or maybe i could go with an r9 fury, instead of the fury x?

57 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

-snip-

I'vce seen the R9 390X, but I want something that's a bit more powerful than just one, but not as expensive as the 980 Ti or the fury x. Which is why I was looking at either the r9 390x2 or the r9 fury

58 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

-snip-

Also at that price, im better off with the r9 390x2 because of price, performance and the fact that i dont have to pay for a mouse

Just now, jkeasley said:

I'vce seen the R9 390X, but I want something that's a bit more powerful than just one, but not as expensive as the 980 Ti or the fury x. Which is why I was looking at either the r9 390x2 or the r9 fury

That's faster than a 980ti, only where dual GPU cards work well, if a game doesn't support dual GPUs, you're basically screwed, that 390X can OC a fair bit, it's on par with the 980/Fury for the most part with additional VRAM.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's faster than a 980ti, only where dual GPU cards work well, if a game doesn't support dual GPUs, you're basically screwed, that 390X can OC a fair bit, it's on par with the 980/Fury for the most part with additional VRAM.

Well why cant I just disable crossfire for the games that dont support it?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I think that the only games that I play will actually support it. So either I'll go with the R9 Fury or the 390x2

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Maybe this card: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100379sr

Just now, jkeasley said:

Also at that price, im better off with the r9 390x2 because of price, performance and the fact that i dont have to pay for a mouse

I suppose, but then you have to get the crazy ass power supply to use it with, if you just want it because it's amazing, that's fine I guess, but functionally a single stronger card is going to be better, plus new GPUs are coming soon anyways.

Not sure how his tests ended like this though, as it should be faster than 2 970s.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

That's not too bad, but like I said, that 390x can be as fast as a fury for less, and you get the extra VRAM, that would be your best choice for what you want to do most likely, and it's quiet and water cooled.

not sure if you can disable one of the GPUs, have read conflicting info, might be a card by card basis or something.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I suppose, but then you have to get the crazy ass power supply to use it with, if you just want it because it's amazing, that's fine I guess, but functionally a single stronger card is going to be better, plus new GPUs are coming soon anyways.

Not sure how his tests ended like this though, as it should be faster than 2 970s.

The r9 390x2 though is much cheaper than 2 970s. In australia, two 970s cost around $1000. THe R9 390X2 is around $800 and comes with a $200 mouse