Gran Turismo 6 to receive a "fairly large" day one patch

Ethnod

I'm really getting sick of this planned Day One patches. I mean I can understand if after a game has shipped you discover something and it needs to be fixed then yea, no problems but for a company to day that "I think for the 12 months following the release we'll continue to update the software. Because in Gran Turismo 6 we're preparing a lot of different things we haven't even touched on yet." COME ON!! Take your time, release the game as you indent to. Or even release a later update, get the main things right, ensure they are working properly and the way you want then and then later release an update with the new tested and working features you wanted to add. 

But now the games industry has move to this new model of release the game before its ready, we can fix it later. And if they decide to release a large update later on they will charge for it and call it an expansion.

tbh the one and single advantage that console had over PC was that console games worked, they just worked. Things were tested properly and the Devs ensured the game would work on release. Now that is not the case... even if I was not a PC fanboy, whats the draw to console again???

Source:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/gran-turismo-6-to-receive-a-fairly-large-day-one-patch-6414569

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-18-gran-turismo-6-will-have-a-large-day-one-patch

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

a problem is that there are no games like forza and GT for pc, which i think is a real shame

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

a problem is that there are no games like forza and GT for pc, which i think is a real shame

True, but I think that is an issue of controls. I really dont like playing racing games on the PC due to the lack of controller support and the lack of a decent controller actually also.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

True, but I think that is an issue of controls. I really dont like playing racing games on the PC due to the lack of controller support and the lack of a decent controller actually also.

i dont mind arrow keys,  but there are no proper semi-simulator racing games for pc

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

i dont mind arrow keys,  but there are no proper semi-simulator racing games for pc

Emm... I think I'll disagree with that :)

F1 2013 (and the rest of the series I suppose)
NASCAR: The Game 2013
DiRT 2

Plus there are more, they are just off the top of my head. Plus you have a bike racing game which is supposed to be very realistic, not tried it yet

Emm... I think I'll disagree with that :)

F1 2013 (and the rest of the series I suppose)
NASCAR: The Game 2013
DiRT 2

Plus there are more, they are just off the top of my head. Plus you have a bike racing game which is supposed to be very realistic, not tried it yet

I specifically mean games like Forza,

I specifically mean games like Forza,

Well Forza and Grant Tourismo are not on the PC platform clearly but F1 is and if you have ever played F1 the game is way more accurate that either GT or Forza is

there is this thing in the game industry called ratings. about a month before the game is released it has to receive a rating from the governing body of the country that it is being sold in. In this time between verification and release there will be about a month where all the employees at the studio are doing nothing. This time can be used to test the game prior to the release and find bug, start work on the next title from the studio or as much as we all hate it begin the creation process of day one DLC.

What would you rather, the game have a day one patch that fixes potentially game breaking bugs that were missed in quality control or having them be fixed a month after release after everyone finds them and complains.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Well Forza and Grant Tourismo are not on the PC platform clearly but F1 is and if you have ever played F1 the game is way more accurate that either GT or Forza is

I want the awesome car selection from Forza and GT in a PC game

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I want the awesome car selection from Forza and GT in a PC game

I very much doubt you are on your own there tbh. With devices like Shield its possible that it might start happening more now, especially seeing as consoles are x86 now and easier to make for PC and port to console

Shift 2 Unleashed seems good enough for me. Played with a G27 racing wheel - a fantastic experience.

Devs putting out a day one patch is just another way of saying they f***ed up and didn't want to stop progressing with the game before fixing it, otherwise known as the "Get it out now, fix it later" approach to game development. A method I hate with every fiber of my being.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Devs putting out a day one patch is just another way of saying they f***ed up and didn't want to stop progressing with the game before fixing it, otherwise known as the "Get it out now, fix it later" approach to game development. A method I hate with every fiber of my being.

That's not very fair, or accurate I'm afraid.

Developing a game is not easy, much less a big-budget one which is pushing the boundaries of what's possible on the hardware it's available on. They have specific deadlines they need to meet, and they cannot simply ignore them or push them back.

The developers fixing bugs post-launch is an inherently good thing. Otherwise we would be stuck with broken games for all of eternity.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff