APRIL FOOLS! Anybody else impacted by the Verizon/Frontier merger?

KuJoe

My internet went down at 7:11AM (EST) according to my off-site monitoring with no sign of returning. News articles from local papers are reporting it should be resolved by next week (if it seriously takes them more than 48 hours I'll be spending a lot more time in a data center somewhere not here). Mostly Verizon FIOS businesses impacted in FL, TX, and CA but a lot of really vocal residential clients out there (myself included) are also impacted. It was a wondering April Fools joke to find myself without internet AND to find out that my account at Verizon no longer works because as of today I'm a client of Frontier (news to me) and without an account number my Frontier account is "unlinked" so as far as they are concerned I'm not a client of theirs (yet) so they can't verify my account to open a support ticket. It's really weird, I can ping basically any IP but all protocols other than ICMP are blocked so the connectivity is useless.

Oh well, at least I have 4G on my new AT&T phone... oh wait... all of the cell towers in my city and surrounding cities (Tampa area) had a power failure and were down most of the day (AT&T went down a few minutes after Verizon so some reports think they are related even though AT&T is reporting their outage as power related while Verizon/Frontier's is network).

What an exciting Friday, good thing I didn't cancel my Republic Wireless account just yet since it has unlimited 3G so Spotify and YouTube still work. I also have about 7GB on my FreedomPop account so when RW starts to throttle me I can switch to that. :)

Sources:

http://www.tbo.com/news/business/outages-occur-as-frontier-takes-over-verizon-service-in-tampa-area-20160401/

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/01/outages-reported-as-verizon-services-move-to-frontier/

http://www.home.tampabay.com/news/business/internet-outages-pop-up-around-tampa-bay-as-frontier-takes-over-verizon/2271531

http://www.fox13news.com/consumer/115006582-story

-KuJoe

Well, using FiOS Internet in Dallas county and I'm still up. That's weird.

I used to be quite active here.

just a heads up, in case it is one, all April fools topics should be posted in the off-topic section, it says so in the announcement banner at the top of the page, I can't tell if this is real or not, I'm not taking anything serious today.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

4 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

just a heads up, in case it is one, all April fools topics should be posted in the off-topic section, it says so in the announcement banner at the top of the page, I can't tell if this is real or not, I'm not taking anything serious today.

Nope, it's real. :( The fact that this fell on the 1st of April is just a sad joke for us clients impacted. I'll update my original post with some news articles for reference just to be safe. :)

8 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Well, using FiOS Internet in Dallas county and I'm still up. That's weird.

I just called my dad who lives about 5 minutes from me and his FiOS is still up. Fun times.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I just called my dad who lives about 5 minutes from me and his FiOS is still up. Fun times.

RIP

I'm assuming you've called Verizon?

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

RIP

I'm assuming you've called Verizon?

I'm not their client anymore unfortunately and I'm not Frontier's either so I'm in limbo just reading reports on Twitter. :(

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I'm not their client anymore unfortunately and I'm not Frontier's either so I'm in limbo just reading reports on Twitter. :(

oh.

what

Really, RIP

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Nope, it's real. :( The fact that this fell on the 1st of April is just a sad joke for us clients impacted. I'll update my original post with some news articles for reference just to be safe. :)

In that case, I'm actually glad I use comcast

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

1 minute ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

In that case, I'm actually glad I use comcast

I miss Comcast and their IPv6 goodness. :(

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, Principis said:

Internet in America sounds really terrible...

It's not horrible, things like this happen rarely but it sucks when they do. I'm just glad when my internet goes out I can still get online to complain about it. :D

-KuJoe

26 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

It's not horrible, things like this happen rarely but it sucks when they do. I'm just glad when my internet goes out I can still get online to complain about it. :D

Where I live it's impossible that such things happen lol :D