joining the military at 23

Alright so I'm currently taking computer science and I'm having trouble finding an internship although I know that I have zero experience and not much else it's been tough going just moved to Colorado for college can't afford living expenses down here but I love it so much down here I'm from south Dakota .  I've been seriously considering joining the guards I mean it can't hurt my future right? I meet all the requirements and yes I need to get in shape before I go to basic but that's pretty much it anyone else have any input? My mos would be with computers also

It will hurt your ethics.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

What do you mean by that?

Could probably be a good thing,the guard isn't full time right?

I would really think it over and research it first but if it's for you go for it.

I'll step on this grenade, so to speak. I feel that I should start off by saying I have not joined the military, and I never will. It's not like I haven't tried, in fact I quite want to. I have a medical condition that unfortunately prevents me from doing anything in the armed forces. That being said, pretty much all of my family and friends have been in/are in the military. Most are in the guard.

Reasons to not do it: 1) The recruiter will tell you that you're going to get the job you really want, but you're probably not. You'll get whatever job they need filled. 2) Every person I have ever met that joined the military for any reason other than "that's the career I really want" has absolutely hated it and wishes/wished they would have never joined. Even most of those that really wanted it end up hating it still. 3) BASIC will be so bad that you won't want to talk about it to anyone that didn't also experience it. I never have figured that one out, and probably never will. 4) The guard is your worst bet. If you're only doing it for the money and plan on having another career, I hope you already live in the area where your career will be. For however long your contract is you will have to go to drills every other weekend and then some other stuff on top of that. Beyond that, if you want to move, you have to ask permission which is usually denied, atleast in my third party experiences. 

Reasons to do it: 1) You want to get your military cdl so that when you get out you can have a civilian cdl. 2) You want to be a police officer or otherwise be able to obtain civilian security clearances/licenses. 3) You want the option to transfer to another branch/make a career out of it, without being committed any longer than 3 years. 4) You are darn sure that you could be in the military for the rest of your life and be happy about it.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, Dark_Fuzzy said:

Could probably be a good thing,the guard isn't full time right?

I would really think it over and research it first but if it's for you go for it.

Once you get done with basic and ait you have one weekend for drill a month if your not deployed

7 minutes ago, derrickd241 said:

What do you mean by that?

Daily breaking of the Geneva convention can't be good for your mental health. I'm not a fan of the vast majority of military actions taken by the US military. Or any military for that reason. You wouldnt be protecting your country you would be protecting some rich persons interest at the cost of hundreds of thousands of innocent lives.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

Yes.

The military will make you a less ethical person.

That's totally a thing.

Oh, god. I need to step away from your post before I start breaking things.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

1 hour ago, derrickd241 said:

Once you get done with basic and ait you have one weekend for drill a month if your not deployed

Just do it, man. It will help you out in the future, and you'll never regret joining. It's not going to be a peachy-fun pile of fucking strawberries 24/7, especially boot camp, but you'll know it's worth it in the end.

I'm currently in the slow process of trying to join the USMC Active Duty, but have a small hiccup with my criminal record that i'm trying to work through.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

6 hours ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Yes.

The military will make you a less ethical person.

That's totally a thing.

Oh, god. I need to step away from your post before I start breaking things.

I didn't say it it will make you less ethical. I said it will hurt your ethics as you will be coin unethical things constantly once you are deployed or at least aiding in them.

15 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I didn't say it it will make you less ethical. I said it will hurt your ethics as you will be coin unethical things constantly once you are deployed or at least aiding in them.

You obviously know nothing about the military.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

You obviously know nothing about the military.

Yes I've only been to old war zones places of torture seen the effects heard stories from refugees, read books written by westerners who have came to journal the events and read news not made up by fox.

Edit: besides the fact that I lived under corrupt military rule and have been on an aid convoy blocked by a military.

OP: if you are up to it read the great war for civilization by Robert Fisk before you make a decision.

5 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

He's that guy. We all know that guy.

wow, yes he is "that" guy lol I'm feeling like the general consensus is to do it, I know its gonna be like hell in the beginning but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

Just realize at your age, even though 23 is not old by any standard, you will be called old man and Grandpa by those you are with, but it is not a bad experience. Even in the guard, however, you stand a chance of being deployed at any given time to an active war zone. Food for thought.

I am a former Marine and I have a son, who I will try to discourage from joining the military if he so desires, but will not stop him from doing so if he decides he wants to. I will make sure that his MOS choice is one that will benefit him in civilian life. I will also dissuade him from joining the USMC or Army, and rather hope he joins the Coast Guard, Air Force or Navy. In the hopes that he does not end up in a grunt position. So that he might find a decent MOS.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

3 minutes ago, Griffscavern said:

Just realize at your age, even though 23 is not old by any standard, you will be called old man and Grandpa by those you are with, but it is not a bad experience. Even in the guard, however, you stand a chance of being deployed at any given time to an active war zone. Food for thought.

I am a former Marine and I have a son, who I will try to discourage from joining the military if he so desires, but will not stop him from doing so if he decides he wants to. I will make sure that his MOS choice is one that will benefit him in civilian life. I will also dissuade him from joining the USMC or Army, and rather hope he joins the Coast Guard, Air Force or Navy. In the hopes that he dies not end up in a grunt position. So that he might find a decent MOS.

I understand the risks involved with being so "old" I  mean I can't even grow a beard yet lol and I know that I can be deployed at anytime not just to an active war zone but anywhere within the U.S. as well if there is ever an emergency.  And as I said before my MOS would hopefully be something that will be useful as a civilian like anything with computers or technology would honestly help me out as I am single and all I do is work and college and that's it

2 minutes ago, derrickd241 said:

I understand the risks involved with being so "old" I  mean I can't even grow a beard yet lol and I know that I can be deployed at anytime not just to an active war zone but anywhere within the U.S. as well if there is ever an emergency.  And as I said before my MOS would hopefully be something that will be useful as a civilian like anything with computers or technology would honestly help me out as I am single and all I do is work and college and that's it

What about the US army, there's a lot of forts in cities where you can get civilian jobs

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

What about the US army, there's a lot of forts in cities where you can get civilian jobs

What's wrong with the national guard??

6 minutes ago, derrickd241 said:

Not only that, but future employers look favorably on people with a military background. Increasing your chances for hire. They, generally find military vets more disciplined and trustworthy in a lot of cases.

If it is your wish to do so just make sure, as you have stated, that your MOS is transferable to civilian life.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

2 minutes ago, Griffscavern said:

Not only that, but future employers look favorably on people with a military background. Increasing your chances for hire. They, generally find military vets more disciplined and trustworthy in a lot of cases.

If it is your wish to do so just make sure, as you have stated, that your MOS is transferable to civilian life.

As well as I can find better jobs while I study as well as I can reap the educational benefits while I'm getting my degree like marijuana security in Colorado is insane but you pretty much need a military background to do that or there's other technology companies that work with the military that favor a military background... just thinking lol

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Wait im confused, are you wanting to be deployed or just work for the military as a soldier but not see combat

I want to work for the military but not see combat is what I'm going for because my MOS would be in computers/technology but if I ever did get deployed then it wouldn't be a big deal to me no matter where its at.

Lol thats a thing?

it actually is a thing lol gotta move the money and im sure some of the supply securely I seen an armored truck one day with a marijuana leaf on it and couldn't believe it myself I was like that's actually a thing? they're pretty serious about this hahaha

Just now, derrickd241 said:

it actually is a thing lol gotta move the money and im sure some of the supply securely I seen an armored truck one day with a marijuana leaf on it and couldn't believe it myself I was like that's actually a thing? they're pretty serious about this hahaha

Pretty damn serious job though, drug crazed hooligans with guns gonna shoot at cha ;p

Have you thought about security consulting then?

one of my teachers are Ex-PMC lol

Pretty damn serious job though, drug crazed hooligans with guns gonna shoot at cha ;p

Have you thought about security consulting then?

one of my teachers are Ex-PMC lol

haha no but it makes sense though there's millions of dollars every month in cash that needs to be transported, since marijuana is not federally legal most banks will not support electronic payments that are made out to an illegal drug (in the eyes of the U.S gov't) to even work in a dispensary there's very strict background checks and you have to cough up 150 dollars to get the license or whatever