NOT using an onboard audio makes a DIFFERENCE.

James_AJ

So I have a laptop with one of the better onboard audio that comes with laptops.

My headphone is ATH-M50 and I thought the detail was so good and was loving the sh*t out of it.

Though, I did notice some *sssshhhhzzzztttttt* noise slightly when the music was going thru soft part or a relatively quiet part and I was getting sick of it, so I took out an external dac&amp that would normally be literally tethered to my consoles (Astro Mixamp) and connected it to my computer so it would carry out digital signal thru USB and do the analog conversion at the much better external amp. 

I can HEAR details that have not been previously hearable or have been bland, very clearly.

Low, mids & highs all sound x100 better. I'm not kidding. Hell, now i'm actually appreciate the little details the musicians put in their music!

I guess this is what Fiio Olympia is supposed to do but my point is, whatever it is, ext. device that calculates your soundwaves makes a HUGE difference to listening... I am so flipping out right now - that's why I'm writing this even though this obviously has no clear topic

Edit: and sorry for terrible grammar... I'm really tired atm.

Update: I have noticed some noticeable crackles and 'inaccurate' sound with this particular headphone amp/dac as it probably has a half-assed capacitors (as I hear those faults only when the music is literally climaxing or changes suddenly in terms of loudness, especially when I have volume cranked up pretty loud)

Update 2: damn, I can actually hear difference between lossless, 320, 160 and 128... this is amazing/unprecedented...

It's annoying that I haven't really gotten into audio until I purchased my USB headset, hopefully I can sell and buy a decent pair of headphones and something like the Fiio Olympus.  :(

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

I totally agree with you James_AJ, after i bought xonar phoebus i noticed so huge improvement over supreme FXIII.

So if you guys think that sound cards are waste of money you are WRONG! ;)

I totally agree with you James_AJ, after i bought xonar phoebus i noticed so huge improvement over supreme FXIII.

I can even notice a difference with my cheepo Xonar DS. Onboard audio should really die in a fire. My motherboard has some troubles with the PCI port, so when I tug on the Xonar DS by accident, my computer freezes. So I decided to just switch back to onboard audio. And man, holy crap, there is a noticeable difference. I couldn't take it so I immediately switched to dealing with the rare times which I do tug on it.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I still have buying a soundcard or external solution to the backburner in order to get other things that I would use more. I'll definitely get a sound solution in the future but i doubt I'm going to be doing it this year

I already have asus xonar dg and dgx, but if I had extra money I would buy phoebus or STX  :)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Lol. Obviously a non-sucky sound solution is going to be better than a sucky laptop audio solution. We only recommend on board over a soundcard when the on board isn't complete crap, and when low impedance headphones will be used.

We say sound cards are a waste when compared with other options at the same price point - not that someone should forego a good soundcard if there's no other option.

I can even notice a difference with my cheepo Xonar DS. Onboard audio should really die in a fire. My motherboard has some troubles with the PCI port, so when I tug on the Xonar DS by accident, my computer freezes. So I decided to just switch back to onboard audio. And man, holy crap, there is a noticeable difference. I couldn't take it so I immediately switched to dealing with the rare times which I do tug on it.

And how do you know the supposed difference is an improvement? Have you done any blind tests?

I already have asus xonar dg and dgx, but if I had extra money I would buy phoebus or STX  :)

The STX is worth every penny. :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

We say sound cards are a waste when compared with other options at the same price point - not that someone should forego a good soundcard if there's no other option.

That depends solely on the individual. I know some people who would rather turn down their game settings a little and have a cheaper GPU than have to use onboard audio.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

That depends solely on the individual. I know some people who would rather turn down their game settings a little and have a cheaper GPU than have to use onboard audio.

What? GPUs aren't for audio bro.

And how do you know the supposed difference is an improvement? Have you done any blind tests?

As @James_AJ said, I heard a bit of buzzing in the sound output. It also sounded more tinny. Of course it could all be bias but... one thing is for sure. When I blast my music in my headphones, I can hear every single bit of sound coming from the file. Every single detail. When I do the same with onboard audio, it sounded different with less detail. It's much more apparent when listening to the acoustic versions.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

What? GPUs aren't for audio bro.

You misunderstand me. I mean that they would buy a cheaper GPU in order to afford a nice soundcard. 

You misunderstand me. I mean that they would buy a cheaper GPU in order to afford a nice soundcard. 

and there's the point most people have a budget as a limiting factor and have only 80 100  or 150 to spend on a headphone and soundcard solution. 

the difference or bang for the buck for what you can hear is waaaaay greater when you graduate from good to better headphones where the addition of the soundcard is a slight difference in detail or signal noise. 

put your money into headphones first then go into the sources later

No, you misunderstand me. What I meant was, there's better options than a soundcard for producing audio at any given price point.

As @James_AJ said, I heard a bit of buzzing in the sound output. It also sounded more tinny. Of course it could all be bias but... one thing is for sure. When I blast my music in my headphones, I can hear every single bit of sound coming from the file. Every single detail. When I do the same with onboard audio, it sounded different with less detail. It's much more apparent when listening to the acoustic versions.

Ah. Well yeah, we wouldn't tell anyone to stick with on board if they're hearing things other than their music. There's plenty of motherboards without this problem.

Ah. Well yeah, we wouldn't tell anyone to stick with on board if they're hearing things other than their music. There's plenty of motherboards without this problem.

That's a good point. I guess what it really comes down to is will the user be noticing the nuances that you can hear with a sound card. Some people are perfectly fine with 128kbps mp3. I disgusts it. It has to be either 320kbps mp3 or FLAC....and even 320kbps is pushing it. 

And..if your motherboard has shitty onboard audio.

They are a waste of money compared to an external solution. :)

Nothing beats any external audio solution, sorry isn't going to happen

So yes sound cards are a waste of money for the most part.

That's a good point. I guess what it really comes down to is will the user be noticing the nuances that you can hear with a sound card. Some people are perfectly fine with 128kbps mp3. I disgusts it. It has to be either 320kbps mp3 or FLAC....and even 320kbps is pushing it. 

And..if your motherboard has shitty onboard audio.

If you have a shitty pair of headphones, then files mean really nothing at all.

Headphones are always number priority 

Lol. Obviously a non-sucky sound solution is going to be better than a sucky laptop audio solution. We only recommend on board over a soundcard when the on board isn't complete crap, and when low impedance headphones will be used.

+1 most users on here aren't running on-board from a laptop they usually have decent motherboards that negate the need for a sound card 

I disgusts it. It has to be either 320kbps mp3 or FLAC....and even 320kbps is pushing it. 

-_-  ...

Not all onboard audio solutions are the same. And 200$ soundcard won't do sh*t if your are listening with sub-50$ headphones or connection those crappy Logitech speakers (yes - all of them)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

-_-  ...

Not all onboard audio solutions are the same. And 200$ soundcard won't do sh*t if your are listening with sub-50$ headphones or connection those crappy Logitech speakers (yes - all of them)

Haha well put, I already said this earlier today but

Headphones > amp > dac > power management > files > environment > cables

Haha well put, I already said this earlier today but

Headphones > amp > dac > power management > files > environment > cables

Woah, I was joking about the power conditioners earlier.

would an 20e external sound card/DAC make a lot of difference?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

If you are using basic onboard audio, then yes. 

even when using in-ears with barely any resistance?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans