Reddit Canary is not singing in the 2015 Transparency Report

yourfavoritenumber

canary-logo.png.a81221016f43a5f6a21fbed0

Source: https://www.reddit.com/wiki/transparency/2015

The Warrant Canary is the little bird which sings about not receiving secret subpoenas. USA Companies are not allowed to disclose any secret subpoenas to any third party (including their users). However, in the view of American law silence is not a way of communication. Using this legal loophole, companies can silence their happy bird. And that is what happened with reddit now.

Related Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/4cqyia/for_your_reading_pleasure_our_2015_transparency/

As of January 29, 2015, reddit has never received a National Security Letter, an order under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or any other classified request for user information. If we ever receive such a request, we would seek to let the public know it existed.

That's the relevant content from the 2014 transparency report. This has been removed from the 2015 report.

The full 2014 report: https://www.reddit.com/wiki/transparency/2014

Another discussion on the /r/Privacy subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/4cr8za/the_warrant_canary_is_missing_from_the_2015/

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

If I'm reading this right, that means reddit was forced by the government to give up some amount of information. Does that mean it was forced to violate its own privacy policy?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

If I'm reading this right, that means reddit was forced by the government to give up some amount of information. Does that mean it was forced to violate its own privacy policy?

https://www.reddit.com/help/privacypolicy mentions this:

We will not share, sell, or give away any of our users’ personal information to third parties, unless one of the following circumstances applies:

~snip~

• We may share information (and will attempt to provide you with prior notice, to the extent legally permissible) in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request;
  • We may share information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements, rules, or other Reddit policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others;
  •  

Read that how you want but it doesn't look like it broke privacy policy to me.

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

11 minutes ago, spexiono said:

https://www.reddit.com/help/privacypolicy mentions this:

•  

Read that how you want but it doesn't look like it broke privacy policy to me.

Turns out there has been a revision to the privacy policy that only adds that content in a revision on Nov 20, 2015.

apr 14, 2015 (the previous revision) Does not have that section

There's still a few parts that say somewhat the same thing. but it's interesting non the less.

While I understand the purpose of warrant canaries, I don't really see the point any more.  All it means is that the gov't hasn't come calling YET.  It doesn't prevent anything, and really, does knowing that the gov't demanded data do anything for you?  You don't know what data they requested, you might even agree with what they took and why.  It should be assumed by now that if you post it online, the gov't can get it if they want. 

You can avoid the dragnets if you are smart, do your research, and are willing to put in the effort.  But if the gov't is coming after you specifically, there is nothing you can do.  Because if all else fails, they can just physically come take you away and use the key buzzwords of terrorist or pedophile.  Those words and you are instantly someone that the masses don't care about anymore and are now glad that you are gone.

On 01/04/2016 at 5:44 AM, SurvivorNVL said:

What's Reddit?

^^^^

@LinusTech

This is concrete proof that their needs to be a faceplalm rating. 

- snip-

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Facepalm.  Actually.

Apparently we also need an autocorrect rating as well :P

- snip-

This actually means that they were hit with an NSL from the government (NSA)

Which means it is a matter of "national security" and Reddit isn't allowed to say this happened, but they can not say it didn't happen.

Basically, they say "We didn't get an NSL this year! :)" when they didn't (Which is legal). But when they DO get one, they clearly don't say it, so you know they did get one

We need a bigger loophole. We should call it "Fuck spying" and it would force all spooks to disclose their purpose and present shit like evidence and probable cause. But that would be a fair legal system, I'm sure we can't have such nonsense anymore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

We need a bigger loophole. We should call it "Fuck spying" and it would force all spooks to disclose their purpose and present shit like evidence and probable cause. But that would be a fair legal system, I'm sure we can't have such nonsense anymore.

But that would be a threat to national security! We need to treat everyone as though they are the enemy, so we can make sure that they aren't the enemy!

redundant /s

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

But that would be a threat to national security! We need to treat everyone as though they are the enemy, so we can make sure that they aren't the enemy!

redundant /s

It's so telling that the far left and the far right are so alike: Terrorist until proven innocent - - > Rapist until proven innocent. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

It's so telling that the far left and the far right are so alike: Terrorist/homosexual/foreigner until proven innocent - - > Rapist/bigot/racist until proven guilty. 

Fixed that for you.

I think we finally understand one another. There is no left or right, just a false dichotomy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Reading /r/joinrobin someone proposed that the reason for Reddit creating random threads and shit is to fuck with Gov trying to search it. 

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

11 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

^^^^

@LinusTech

This is concrete proof that their needs to be a faceplalm rating. 

How so, not everyone has a need/want for reddit. The only reason I found out about it is the same reason I know of 4chan, a shitload of infamy.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

34 minutes ago, Mushious said:

How so, not everyone has a need/want for reddit. The only reason I found out about it is the same reason I know of 4chan, a shitload of infamy.

Twas but a simple joke. 

- snip-