Two Completely Different Graphics Cards in the Same Build?

For what purpose?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It could work in the same build, but you will run into performance issues. 

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

1 minute ago, Rush102 said:

what would be the cause for performance issues, because i do not intend to use the two different products at the same time

Just now, Crazie_Flash said:

what would be the cause for performance issues, because i do not intend to use the two different products at the same time

Well, you would need to run one, then turn it off, then run the other one. Its not efficient. And why not stick with just one of the companies instead of crossing over?

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

6 minutes ago, Rush102 said:

i doubt you will.

not sure how the driver situation will be, but if you can install both drivers its just a matter of connecting a monitor to both cards, and by changing which monitor is the main one, you switch which gpu does the thing.

(i did this between my 970 and intel integrated for a while, dont ask why...)

21 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i doubt you will.

not sure how the driver situation will be, but if you can install both drivers its just a matter of connecting a monitor to both cards, and by changing which monitor is the main one, you switch which gpu does the thing.

(i did this between my 970 and intel integrated for a while, dont ask why...)

I've heard the Nvidia drivers kill themselves if they see AMD drivers on the same system.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Just now, Vivilacqua1 said:

I've heard the Nvidia drivers kill themselves if they see AMD drivers on the same system.

i've actually been planning to do some testing on this, but i dont trust my HD5770 very much :P

i'll be reporting back on this soon™

actually, now i think of it, this would be the moment to do it, because i have to tear up my cabling anyways because something is causing a crap ton of crossover interference on my desk...

2a345c91cb.jpg

@Vivilacqua1 @Rush102 @Crazie_Flash

both are working together normally (except the cooler on my hd5770 is actually making me cringe right now) and i'm not encountering performance issues so far (still running heaven, i'll edit in the results once i run the right frikkin benchmark xD)

EDIT: make of this what you will while i go pull that old clunker of a HD5770 out my case before it rips itself apart again:

2a89416dd3.png

EDIT EIDT: just wanna add i did another heaven run with the hd5770 removed (cba to uninstall the drivers yet tho xD)

fps: 71.1

score: 1791

min fps: 29.0

max fps: 158.4

which is well within margin of error, seeing this after the fact test didnt have anything else run beside it.

1 hour ago, Rush102 said:

Well, you would need to run one, then turn it off, then run the other one. Its not efficient. And why not stick with just one of the companies instead of crossing over?

no, these days you simply need to change the display cable to swap between the two.

in DX12 titles you can use both Nvidia and AMD together. Ashes of the Singularity already have the system working.

Although, from my own testing with an AMD APU and GTX950, it only works aslong as the AMD card is the "master" display output.

If the Nvidia card is the "master" display output, Nvidias drivers throws a tantrum

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

no, these days you simply need to change the display cable to swap between the two.

in DX12 titles you can use both Nvidia and AMD together. Ashes of the Singularity already have the system working.

Although, from my own testing with an AMD APU and GTX950, it only works aslong as the AMD card is the "master" display output.

If the Nvidia card is the "master" display output, Nvidias drivers throws a tantrum

what if i hooked up the amd cards to the three 60hz monitors to run triple monitor gaming etc. and hook up the Nvidia card to the bigger 144hz monitor for nvidia streaming, and playing videos? Do you know if this would work

Just now, Crazie_Flash said:

what if i hooked up the amd cards to the three 60hz monitors to run triple monitor gaming etc. and hook up the Nvidia card to the bigger 144hz monitor for nvidia streaming, and playing videos? Do you know if this would work

probably not going to work.

Nvidia "disables" their drivers when their not connected to anything, however DX12 allows you to override this since game devs themselves got direct access to the hardware. Under DX11 however, Nvidia drivers will throw a hissy fit whenever AMD cards are connected.

I can test it, but i have to assemble my other PC first