Windows 8.1 box art, and price (for non Win8 users)

GoodBytes

Windows 8.1 is a free update for Windows 8 users, but if you are not running Windows 8. But you need to purchase it (of course), if you have Windows 7 or older.

Microsoft is bringing back the retail full license of Windows 8 (I guess, no one understood the System Builder license?!)

windows81boxnew_large_verge_medium_lands

Windows 8.1 : 119.99$
Windows 8.1 Pro : 199.99$
Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro + Media Center Add-on : 99.99$
Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center Add-on : 9.99$

They are changes to the upgrade license:
If you have Windows XP or Vista, you MUST do a clean install. No upgrade path available
For Windows 7 users, you will need to reinstall your desktop apps. Only files will be transferred.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/09/17/pricing-and-packaging-for-windows-8-1.aspx
Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4741350/windows-8-1-pricing-release-date-upgrade-paths

Microsoft is bringing back the retail full license of Windows 8 (I guess, no one understood the System Builder license?!)

explain

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

explain

System Builder license or Personal Usage License (which you agree after installing Win8 System Builder (aka: OEM) license), turns your license from OEM to retail. In other words. Windows 8 Full, but no support, and yes you can now transfer your license to another computer, like the Full version.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=uKyOGah5dQU

I got win 8 pro for 70 USD back in December. Glad I did now.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

October 18th

Mh can't wait. Still bugs me that I can't have my wallpaper as Metro background =P

I got win 8 pro for 70 USD back in December. Glad I did now.

Yay dreamspark ^^ Payed 0$ for 5 licenses by now, could probably get more =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I have Windows 8 upgrade on disc sitting in my room waiting to be installed. So I will only be able to transfer files over when I upgrade? I will have to reinstall all my programs?

I have an SSD and HDD. Windows 8 is on my SSD. My programs are on my HDD.

What would be the best thing for me to do when upgrading?

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

If you have Windows 8, upgrading to 8.1 will keep your programs and files. As any OS upgrade, and Service Packs, it's highly recommended to uninstall the anti-virus before doing the upgrade process, and install it back, IF you are not using Windows 8 built-in one.

If you have Windows 7, upgrading to 8 will keep your programs and files. Of course once done, it is important to get the latest Win8 drivers for all your hardware for the best experience.

So, if you have Windows 7. You can do 7 to 8, then once done, and drivers for 8 are all installed, do 8 to 8.1 after (8.1 will be, as mentioned, free for you, as you have Win8)

Note: The above assumes that you have 64-bit version of Windows 7 and 8 and going to 64-bit Win 8.1. And not changing 32-bit to 64-bit.

Dreamspark/MSDNAA is supposed to be getting them, so I'll have access to them for free. Currently have access to Windows 7/8 Professional. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Would rather get Windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1 since its cheaper: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700404

But this one is a retail version so the price isn't bad imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I don't get how an OS is worth 200 dollars...

You should look at what an OS is. It's more complicated and require more engineers than a GPU or CPU.. and those cost how much?

The hole UI is about 10% of what an OS. An OS consists of different components, here are the really big parts. This excludes all features that each may have:

-> Kernel (Core of the OS). CPU, RAM, and Devices are what the kernel works with and manage them.

-> Interrupts. A critical component which allows the OS interact with the environment it is in, and "allows things to be done".

-> CPU security management. Much like system accounts, CPUs have 2 modes: Supervisor and Protected mode. This is CRITICAL, for the core security of the system. For example, you don't want a program that you run, that overwrites your system RAM, and have complete control of your system, damaging your hardware, data, disabling any security system, avoid with 100% success all detection. It can even replace the OS on the fly. This is no joking mater. The only supervisor access is the OS.

-> Program execution

-> Memory Management

-> Device Management (support and manage devices. It must also work with multiple devices at the same time, and the hardest part: avoid and TRY to resolve grid locks)

-> Multitasking system (this splits in many big parts: Context switch, preemptive multitasking and cooperative multitasking, scheduler)

-> Disk Access

-> File System(s)

-> Virtual Memory

-> Networking

-> Drivers

-> Security

-> Font management

-> User Interface (this splits into many other components: interface rendering engine, font rendering, graphic rendering, design, work flow)

-> OS specific API for programs to run.

-> OpenGL and DirectX (for Windows, else just OpenGL)

Now you can add that super long list of features, which the great majority you take for granted

Remember how much Vista cost Microsoft? about 10 billion dollars, and 5 years. ANd even then... it's not a full "remade from scratch", and also, it uses many ideas and concept of previous Windows NT kernel it replaced.

Remember how much Vista cost Microsoft? about 10 billion dollars, and 5 years...

for real? damn.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

You should look at what an OS is. It's more complicated and require more engineers than a GPU or CPU.. and those cost how much?

The hole UI is about 10% of what an OS. An OS consists of different components, here are the really big chucks. This excludes all features that each may have:

-> Kernel (Core of the OS). CPU, RAM, and Devices are what the kernel works with and manage them.

-> Interrupts. A critical component which allows the OS interact with the environment it is in, and "allows things to be done".

-> CPU security management. Much like system accounts, CPUs have 2 modes: Supervisor and Protected mode. This is CRITICAL, for the core security of the system. For example, you don't want a program that you run, that overwrites your system RAM, and have complete control of your system, damaging your hardware, data, disabling any security system, avoid with 100% success all detection. It can even replace the OS on the fly. This is no joking mater. The only supervisor access is the OS.

-> Program execution

-> Memory Management

-> Device Management (support and manage devices. It must also work with multiple devices at the same time, and the hardest part: avoid and TRY to resolve grid locks)

-> Multitasking system (this splits in many big parts: Context switch, preemptive multitasking and cooperative multitasking, scheduler)

-> Disk Access

-> File System(s)

-> Virtual Memory

-> Networking

-> Drivers

-> Security

-> Font management

-> User Interface (this splits into many other components: interface rendering engine, font rendering, graphic rendering, design, work flow)

-> OS specific API for programs to run.

-> OpenGL and DirectX (for Windows, else just OpenGL)

Now you can add that super long list of features, which the great majority you take for granted

Remember how much Vista cost Microsoft? about 10 billion dollars, and 5 years. ANd even then... it's not a full "remade from scratch", and also, it uses many ideas and concept of previous Windows NT kernel it replaced.

But if it costs that much to make then HOW is Bill Gates getting so much profit? Everyone needs an OS, they could easily break even by charging about 70-100 bucks. There just isn't any good competition in the OS market. Microsoft has a monopoly so they can charge whatever they want. I personally don't care since pirating an OS isn't too hard but I would much more likely pay for it if it was cheaper, which it can be since the microsoft is quite a profitable company...

But if it costs that much to make then HOW is Bill Gates getting so much profit? Everyone needs an OS, they could easily break even by charging about 70-100 bucks. There just isn't any good competition in the OS market. Microsoft has a monopoly so they can charge whatever they want. I personally don't care since pirating an OS isn't too hard but I would much more likely pay for it if it was cheaper, which it can be since the microsoft is quite a profitable company...

friend, friend, friend. the money is not funneling up to Bill Gates. Bill Gates is rich because he founded the company and he has maybe a 1% share in the profits of the company now. He is also rich because he invests wisely.

I'd be more impressed if Linux had less compatibility issues with some devices more so than I ever would with Win8. Microsoft has been going downhill in my eyes with their foolish decisions that I refuse to support them after Windows 7.

Bill Gates drives a Ford, his kids don't have everything, and need to work for their money. Bill Gates and his wife is spending huge amount of money in helping people in desperate needs, including eradicating malaria and HIV

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

More than 32.6 billion$ as of September 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation) has been donated, mainly by Bill with 28 billion dollars.

Let not forget the grants that the foundation has given also: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/How-We-Work/Quick-Links/Grants-Database#q/sort=amount

And as you can see on this graph, Windows is not the main revenue of Microsoft:

msftaapl.png

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/29/guess-who-generates-more-revenue-apple-or-microsoft/

I'd be more impressed if Linux had less compatibility issues with some devices more so than I ever would with Win8. Microsoft has been going downhill in my eyes with their foolish decisions that I refuse to support them after Windows 7.

Sadly... that's the future, and for once, Microsoft didn't enter too late, but exactly at the right time. If Microsoft didn't made WIn8, they would be left in the dust.

MacOS is changing to be more like iOS.. possibly iOS might one day replace MacOS.  Ubuntu is also changing with a more touch friendly UI: Ubuntu One, and now investing in smartphones.

People aren't interested in computers. 100% of the stuff they need to do, can be done on the phone. All it needs is a larger screen, a bit better web browser, and you are pretty much there. Have a phone, dock it, and you have a big screen, with keyboard and mouse.

Motorola also going in that direction with 2011 Atrix:

Desktop PC will change and target a smaller market, a more specialized market.

-> Most consumers will use dock station with their phone for laptops or desktop

-> Desktop will have displays like the Wacom Cintiq, where power users (programers, engineers, gamers, etc..) will use.

And that about it.

Wacom Cintiq in the case you don't know:

An upright monitor, that can come closer to you, and at angle above your keyboard, where you can use, comfortably, digitize pen, touch. Making multitouch and digitize pen COMPLIMENT the keyboard and mouse. Much like the mouse arrived, complimenting our keyboard.

You keep thinking that the desktop won't change. But it will. It will be adapted.

Right-now, look at the laptop market... more and more devices are hybrid devices. We are part of a transition phased.

We saw it coming with the netbooks. These, lets be honest, crappy performing systems, was perfectly fine for a great majority of people. Today's phone are faster than netbooks. Tablets is what replaced netbooks.

Thought they were gonna do the apple thing and only charge users 30 dollars but more updates more often....there goes that idea.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Sadly... that's the future, and for once, Microsoft didn't enter too late, but exactly at the right time. If Microsoft didn't made WIn8, they would be left in the dust.

MacOS is changing to be more like iOS.. possibly iOS might one day replace MacOS.  Ubuntu is also changing with a more touch friendly UI: Ubuntu One, and now investing in smartphones.

People aren't interested in computers. 100% of the stuff they need to do, can be done on the phone. All it needs is a larger screen, a bit better web browser, and you are pretty much there. Have a phone, dock it, and you have a big screen, with keyboard and mouse.

Motorola also going in that direction with 2011 Atrix:

Desktop PC will change and target a smaller market, a more specialized market.

-> Most consumers will use dock station with their phone for laptops or desktop

-> Desktop will have displays like the Wacom Cintiq, where power users (programers, engineers, gamers, etc..) will use.

And that about it.

You keep thinking that the desktop won't change. But it will. It will be adapted.

Right-now, look at the laptop market... more and more devices are hybrid devices. We are part of a transition phased.

We saw it coming with the netbooks. These, lets be honest, crappy performing systems, was perfectly fine for a great majority of people. Today's phone are faster than netbooks. Tablets is what replaced netbooks.

I don't see the workstation going anywhere, though. No matter how much technology changes, it still takes a work horse to create these mobile devices that have become toys in the eyes of some people. Maybe for the average consumer that only uses their system for Facebook, they wouldn't care, but so long as there are computer enthusiast, the desktop will never die. It'd just probably not be as popular compared to other solutions.

For me personally, I can't stand the thought of covering an expensive display with finger prints and scratches outside of maybe a phone or hand held. A 24"+ touch screen seems kinda weird. Give me actual buttons, the touch stuff can go away. Maybe I'm just being stubborn. I mean for a secondary advice, I can see this being a non issue, but for my main system, I prefer to stick to the old ways.

And that about it.

I don't think the average consumer could care less about a 2 grand display with 2048 levels of pen pressure. Unless this is some iMacesque pro-sumer device from Wacom, I can't see such a device existing for the average Joe Schmoe.

(A Wacom Cintiq iMac thing would be pretty awesome)

Windows 8 is good, and 8.1 will make it that much better. The new full usage licensing is awesome as well.

I don't see the workstation going anywhere, though. No matter how much technology changes, it still takes a work horse to create these mobile devices that have become toys in the eyes of some people. Maybe for the average consumer that only uses their system for Facebook, they wouldn't care, but so long as there are computer enthusiast, the desktop will never die. It'd just probably not be as popular compared to other solutions.

Like I said, Desktop WILL NOT die, just shrink, where it will be developers, engineers, professional artists, and so on.

For me personally, I can't stand the thought of covering an expensive display with finger prints and scratches outside of maybe a phone or hand held. A 24"+ touch screen seems kinda weird. Give me actual buttons, the touch stuff can go away. Maybe I'm just being stubborn. I mean for a secondary advice, I can see this being a non issue, but for my main system, I prefer to stick to the old ways.

You are stubborn... well.. in the way of: You don't want to go out of your comfort zone.

Good displays are scratch resiting, and yes, they are technologies that are coming out that makes the display non glossy.

So that will be fixed in time.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20111028/199970/

I don't think the average consumer could care less about a 2 grand display with 2048 levels of pen pressure. Unless this is some iMacesque pro-sumer device from Wacom, I can't see such a device existing for the average Joe Schmoe.

What I said was targeting professionals using the desktop/workstation. And of course, you can assume a cheaper version of this. No need a professional grade IPS panel, you can go with a high-end consumer grade, or simply a decent IPS panel which many here have, then use a more basic digitize pen technology that cost less, and so on. You don't need exact (well best as possible) replica of how you would use the pen. The Surface Pro shows this as being possible (digitizer by Wacom :) )

Like I said, Desktop WILL NOT die, just shrink, where it will be developers, engineers, professional artists, and so on.

You are stubborn... well.. in the way of: You don't want to go out of your comfort zone.

Good displays are scratch resiting, and yes, they are technologies that are coming out that makes the display non glossy.

So that will be fixed in time.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20111028/199970/

What I said was targeting professionals using the desktop/workstation. And of course, you can assume a cheaper version of this. No need a professional grade IPS panel, you can go with a high-end consumer grade, or simply a decent IPS panel which many here have, then use a more basic digitize pen technology that cost less, and so on. You don't need exact (well best as possible) replica of how you would use the pen. The Surface Pro shows this as being possible (digitizer by Wacom :) )

Not gonna lie, you did make me a bit less standoffish by looking from another perspective. On a somewhat related note, if one of these devices = getting a device that can be used as a Wacom Cintiq without the Cintiq price, I'd be all over that in an instant. Would make workflow much more faster than using the Intuos 4. :)

Not gonna lie, you did make me a bit less standoffish by looking from another perspective. On a somewhat related note, if one of these devices = getting a device that can be used as a Wacom Cintiq without the Cintiq price, I'd be all over that in an instant. Would make workflow much more faster than using the Intuos 4. :)

I cannot agree with you more.

Honestly I expect in 3 to 5 years from now, we will see maybe 300-400$ Cintiq style display (basically, like I said, a non crazy version of it).

I strongly believe in digitize pen. And I think people don't see it, as they think the stupid pen for the iPad, which is just a passive thing, that emulates a finger. I think will be part of gaming in the future. Like imagine doing plans in an RTS style game, or perhaps control armies, much like "real life", where you have multiple groups doing attacks and such. Or planning an online FPS game with a map with friends, to take a plan of action... bringing further strategy to FPS games. Now I am no game developers... and I am not sitting all day thinking about this, I am sure they are a billion better ideas than what I just said, and possibilities. Seams to work with the Nintendo DS. But basically my point is that it will complement gaming as well in some creative (more than what I mention, of course) ways. It won't be left out.