Lga771 Mod To Lga775?

Go to solution Solved by DildorTheDecent,

The Xeons on socket LGA771 are usually cheaper and better binned then their LGA 775 equivalent - IIRC

Thread by @harrynowl : 

old xeons are competitive or better than the old core 2 quads. If you pull the mod off, you'll get much better performance for less.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

so.. from what i remember from hearing about it...

theres this "sticker" you can buy on le interwebzthat swaps two pins on your cpu, to swap from one socket to the other.

seemingly it works, that said, i'm unsure about certain compatibility issues that may arise.

i can guarantee you there's a TON of edge cases where this can go horribly wrong, but i can also say that this "mod" wont be as widespread as it is if you'd have a big chance of encountering those edge cases.

i'd say its worth a try, in the same way as the via mini-itx boards from a while back were worth a try.

The Xeons on socket LGA771 are usually cheaper and better binned then their LGA 775 equivalent - IIRC

Thread by @harrynowl : 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Thread by @harrynowl : 

Though as I found out, the standard LGA775 chips can occasion be binned far better (3.12GHz E8500 at 1.08V/4GHz at 1.32V as opposed to 3GHz X5450 at 1.18V/3.8GHz 1.36V)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Though as I found out, the standard LGA775 chips can occasion be binned far better (3.12GHz E8500 at 1.08V/4GHz at 1.32V as opposed to 3GHz X5450 at 1.18V/3.8GHz 1.36V)

I don't know but i don't think a X5450 is equivalent to a E8500. Maybe if you only use one die somehow...

Some LGA 775 processors could very well be better binned than a LGA 771 processor. But ideally compare their equivalents to keep it simple. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

I don't know but i don't think a X5450 is equivalent to a E8500. Maybe if you only use one die somehow...

Some LGA 775 processors could very well be better binned than a LGA 771 processor. But ideally compare their equivalents to keep it simple. 

As in the E8500 was far better for overclocking. I could have run it 24/7 at 4.4GHz and it would have been within the recommended voltage, unlike the X5450 (which admittedly is better for gaming at stock than the E8500 was at 4GHz).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL