Any guides to making your own server?

Raidorz

As above, like the selection of hardware, software and it's various configurations and what can you do with a server? Thanks!

I haven't seen any, though I would like a detailed guide on how to set up your own server for various roles, Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory, File servers, Web servers etc...

Though I could quite easily figure out how to set up such servers, 1 I don't have the hardware and 2, nor the time as I work full time as IT support, maintaining said server types.

So though I can look after them almost flawlessly, I'm yet to ever set one up from scratch.

If you (or anyone) has a link to such guides would be great if it can be linked in here.

Well - this is a bit tricky gang. Most servers used by companies come from one of the major server retailers. Companies like HP, Dell, IBM, etc. These units typically only need you to add RAM, HD's, etc and is pretty straight forward. Doing something more complicated like swapping a mobo is completely different from model to model and from company to company. Go on the HP site, every model and gen of server has a different hardware guide. :) Doing up something "generic" would never come close to encountering what you may come up against in the wild. Then you have the one off and white box server makers...

Honestly, when you have the case off, really no different then any other PC you may have worked on - just bigger. :) If you have to rip one apart, just put things aside in the order you pull them out, etc. Lay screws out in an orientation that matches the layout when installed. Little tricks like that.

For a home server... most are going to be a standard PC.... installing something like Server 2008 or 2012 is very similar to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 - they actually share the same kernel... Roles like AD, Web, File Services, you basically "add" to the server and do some basic next, next, next and you got it. Exchange... SQL... download trial and install, you can typically go with all defaults to get a base install up and running...

The main thing I tell people, just try it at home. You can get most of the software (if looking a MS) from their site with 120 day trials... Install it... play with it... break something? No biggee - format and re-install and continue on.... Trust me, you learn the most when you do break it. :D

Now for other servers, things like FreeNAS, unRAID, untangle, etc. Most of these you boot with some sort of live CD and again, next, next, next and you have a basic setup going. Most of the solutions like this have awesome support forums where you can go, ask questions, get help, etc. Just be search to spend some time searching when you have an issue. Most times if you have run into it, so has someone else. :)

Hope some of this helps...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

One tip, try these in a virtual machine first and take snapshots before you start. This way if you break anything you dont have to go through the hassle of reformating or putting out an electrical fire LOL!

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

As I siad in a previous topic (by Huntsman) : I'm going to do one within this and a week (when I finally get my parts). Stick around for that. It will be linux, though. I don't know if you have a problem with that, but I'll make sure to write it in layman's terms.

I'll see you later on in this section ;)

As I siad in a previous topic (by Huntsman) : I'm going to do one within this and a week (when I finally get my parts). Stick around for that. It will be linux, though. I don't know if you have a problem with that, but I'll make sure to write it in layman's terms.

Yay! Cant wait. A linux server will be great! :)

I could do a full guide on setting up a Linux server for home/personal use (file shares, media server etc.). Just PM or write a comment if you are interested.

It really depends on what you want it to do - web host? Email/exchange? Gaming? NAS? And also on what scale, especially with gaming - you and your friends? Worldwide? 30 people? 3k?

I could do a full guide on setting up a Linux server for home/personal use (file shares, media server etc.). Just PM or write a comment if you are interested.
Im interested... I have posted my situation here on my post http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/storage-solutions/103086-a-wakeup-call-home-server-post?p=108358#post108358

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

I just got all the parts, will be working on it this weekend ;)

I am interested, hence the reason why I started this thread :D

It really depends on what you want it to do - web host? Email/exchange? Gaming? NAS? And also on what scale, especially with gaming - you and your friends? Worldwide? 30 people? 3k?
For me, it'll be home use. NAS and maybe some web hosting. Not much for gaming.

An i3 on a basic H77 chipset board.

Either a USB boot disk or otherwise a 2.5" drive that you can easily hide. Doesn't really matter if its an SSD or not as you won't be restarting often.

8GB of RAM is plenty

HDD's - Seagate Barracudas are good for high performance with little noise which is good for a NAS. WD Blacks are similar in performance, cost more and are noisier. Another option would be green drives which are slower, use slightly less power.

350-450w PSU and you're sorted.

That'd be a good NAS. You might want to add a RAID card but other than that, it'd suffice for home use. With software, I really like Windows Home Server as there's a huge amount it can do to save your ass. Here's something Linus did for NCIX you may want to watch.

Web hosting on the other hand will best be done from a data center due to connection speeds.

But Windows Home Server is very expensive, isn't it? Is it safe to talk about cracks here? Haha

But Windows Home Server is very expensive, isn't it? Is it safe to talk about cracks here? Haha
For Australia - it's only $50. You will also find that talking about gaining illegal use of software is against the CoC and will result in negative consequences.

Ah I see so we cant talk about it here. Alright good to know :) Windows Home Server goes for few hundred bucks here in Singapore :O

Great, will have it done tomorrow night(European time).

Thanks mate! :D

o.O