Is there any way to improve my internet speed, being far from the telephone exchange?

JorenBus

Hello all,

So to start off, I live in the netherlands, basically in the middle of nowhere. We have very slow download speeds of around 550 Kb/s, however we pay for much faster download speeds.

The thing is: there is no internet cable in our part of the street, since there are only 3 houses in this part. The internet cable stops at maybe 500 meters of our house.

We've already contacted the company to include a internet cable in our part of the street as well, but it was way too expensive for them and wouldn't even want to make an invoice.

So we're getting our internet through our telephone cable. Here's another issue: we're really far away from the telephone exchange.

This leads to a download speed of 550 Kb/s and much, much slower upload.

I assume not, but is there any way to fix this problem other than contacting the companies (who aren't willing to change anything)?

We would like to get netflix but I assume we won't be able to watch any movies with that slow of a download speed.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

17 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

however we pay for much faster download speeds.

call your isp to complain if they're not delivering what you're paying for lol

18 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

I assume we won't be able to watch any movies with that slow of a download speed

yeap, prolly cant watch 1080p contents

what you can do is try searching online for broadband network coverage if theres no landline

there might be 4g support in your area?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

call your isp to complain if they're not delivering what you're paying for lol

yeap, prolly cant watch 1080p contents

what you can do is try searching online for broadband network coverage if theres no landline

there might be 4g support in your area?

It's actually mentioned on the site that in our area internet might be slower, so I doubt there's anything we can do about that.

Yes there is 4g support here, however it's pretty much impossible to find unlimited data bundles, the max I could find was 5GB, which is maybe 2 movies.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Do you have a friend or relative in "line of sight" with access to faster Internet?  You could have faster access installed at their place, if possible, and buy a pair of Ubuqiti (or similar) high gain directional wireless transmitters/receivers to transmit the Internet access to your location.

I believe Linus did a video on this recently, albeit in the parking lot of his company. 

Just now, JorenBus said:

It's actually mentioned on the site that in our area internet might be slower, so I doubt there's anything we can do about that.

Yes there is 4g support here, however it's pretty much impossible to find unlimited data bundles, the max I could find was 5GB, which is maybe 2 movies.

well if its day to day internet use, its best to get unlimited quota

i guess its time to move then... xD

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Do you have a friend or relative in "line of sight" with access to faster Internet?  You could have faster access installed at their place, if possible, and buy a pair of Ubuqiti (or similar) high gain directional wireless transmitters/receivers to transmit the Internet access to your location.

I believe Linus did a video on this recently, albeit in the parking lot of his company. 

Well it depens what you call 'in line of sight'. Are we talking 200 meters, 500, 1km,...?

2 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Well it depens what you call 'in line of sight'. Are we talking 200 meters, 500, 1km,...?

There have been people successfully doing line-of-sight wireless Internet using the Ubuqiti equipment for 5-10km on the unlicensed bands. 

Line of sight means literally that -- you can see the transmitter from where the receiver is located, or vice versa, in a 'line of sight'. 

10 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

There have been people successfully doing line-of-sight wireless Internet using the Ubuqiti equipment for 5-10km on the unlicensed bands. 

Line of sight means literally that -- you can see the transmitter from where the receiver is located, or vice versa, in a 'line of sight'. 

Don't think that will be possible though :(

Slow internet forever it is!

I would say pay for a slower plan, since you can't benefit from higher ones.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Just now, Djole123 said:

I would say pay for a slower plan, since you can't benefit from higher ones.

We're already paying for the slowest plan.

Damn. That's bad. I'm currently without any broadband. Our isp are really annoying me. 5 straight days without an Internet connection. Using my phone data, which going to finish soon. They keep on changing the day for the engineer to come. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

ISP are just f***ed up. It is just not write, all ISP are a greedy pigs.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?