IP Adress Questions

Camcognito

So I was wondering what you can get from your ip adress? I use skype a lot, and play a lot of online games. Its not very hard for people to find my skype. I've had people tell me about skype resolvers and about how easy it is to get someone's ip adress. Could people gain information from this? The only concern I have is if people are about to see where I live from this, thought I'd post this because I've been confused about it for a while. Thanks

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Just don't piss off little kids and you should be fine. 

Magical Pineapples

4 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Just don't piss off little kids and you should be fine. 

I'm not worried about get ddos'ed or whatever, I'm just concered about the privacy of my location.

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

They can deduce a general location of where you live

but most often not more than a country and maybe a city without additional inside knowledge how your ISP distributes IP addresses.

If you are concerned by that you should talk to your ISP and make sure they do not have a pattern for distributing IP addresses according to geographical regions

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, Camcognito said:

I'm not worried about get ddos'ed or whatever, I'm just concered about the privacy of my location.

Well it really depends on your ISP ... people only can get your location such as "state" but sometime they could get more information if they "social engineering"  like talk to your ISP to get some more information such as email/phone etc. You should really contact your ISP if you have any concerns and make sure the IP givens is random if it is not static.  

Magical Pineapples

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

They can deduce a general location of where you live

but most often not more than a country and maybe a city without additional inside knowledge how your ISP distributes IP addresses.

If you are concerned by that you should talk to your ISP and make sure they do not have a pattern for distributing IP addresses according to geographical regions

On 3/27/2016 at 0:55 AM, MrUnknownEMC said:

Well it really depends on your ISP ... people only can get your location such as "state" but sometime they could get more information if they "social engineering"  like talk to your ISP to get some more information such as email/phone etc. You should really contact your ISP if you have any concerns and make sure the IP givens is random if it is not static.  

Ok, 

1 minute ago, Camcognito said:

Ok, well, one reason that I posted this thread was that I was added to a Skype chat of group of people from a server I played, and one of the people in it somehow got my street adress. I'm not sure how, as the farthest I've gone online was to give someone my Skype username. I thought that maybe he got it from my ip adress

You should be fine... because now when they do a IP trace of your skype it 99.9% of the time it will give them a Microsoft server IP. I havnt used skype so i presume it still the same due to the fact after Microsoft brought skype they fixed the problem. 

Magical Pineapples

5 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

You should be fine... because now when they do a IP trace of your skype it 99.9% of the time it will give them a Microsoft server IP. I havnt used skype so i presume it still the same due to the fact after Microsoft brought skype they fixed the problem. 

Alright, thanks

The thing about IP addresses is sure, there definitely isn't a mapping between physical address and an IP address.  However, if you use a NAT device (as most of us do these days) and an internal private network (ie: 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc.) -- and use an Android or iPhone (or other device) with a GPS, the app providers and Google/Apple itself can build up a pretty good relationship between IPs and GPS coordinates. 

So the truly paranoid should, in addition to routing all traffic through some sort of VPN, also make sure that they have no GPS-enabled devices connecting to their network and transmitting their GPS coordinates over the Internet.  Frequent cycling of exposed public IP addresses, if possible, would also be a good countermeasure.

Besides what @Mark77 said, your ISP is the only ones whom know what IP address belongs to what street address. Most people who would want your IP address would just DDOS you. Thats what these kids do know days I guess. Really the only data they can get from an IP address, and just that would be a geographical location. These are not always right. My IP address has a neighboring city attached to it and they are not going to give an exact coordinates to your house. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Unless they decide to DDOS you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

They won't be able to find your exact home address based off of your IP but they can narrow down on a specific geographical area based off where your ISP is distributing that external IP address. Other than finding your general geographical location they can obviously DDoS you but that would be very tough, I'm sure the average kid doesn't have the resources to take you out.