Budget Gaming Rig For A Friend

Hey guys, I've been talking to a friend of mine and he has been interested in getting into PC gaming. He is weighing the options between a pre-built rig and something custom right now and I'm trying to help him out. You guys were able to help me design and pick out parts for my more expensive rig a little over a year ago so I'm back for some more advice please!

He is looking to spend no more than $600USD on it and he lives in the States. It's primarily for gaming and the build doesn't have to include any peripherals. That $600 should also include Windows. In addition to that, if in your opinion it'd be better to buy a pre-built machine instead for that price let me know. Thanks for your help!

6 minutes ago, ImNotARobot said:

Hey guys, I've been talking to a friend of mine and he has been interested in getting into PC gaming. He is weighing the options between a pre-built rig and something custom right now and I'm trying to help him out. You guys were able to help me design and pick out parts for my more expensive rig a little over a year ago so I'm back for some more advice please!

He is looking to spend no more than $600USD on it and he lives in the States. It's primarily for gaming and the build doesn't have to include any peripherals. That $600 should also include Windows. In addition to that, if in your opinion it'd be better to buy a pre-built machine instead for that price let me know. Thanks for your help!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WcK9hM

this

try reddit's softwareswap for windows

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XWxwGX

appnee reloader or kenguin for win10

The mobo is up in the air by his needs and the cpu is competitive to i5s but everyone needs an amd in their lives 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Easy 1080p gaming with a Skylake quad core and a R9 380:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($35.00 @ MicrosoftSoftwareSwap) 
Total: $594.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 00:16 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder