How to import Windows Media Player Playlists from one HDD to another?

Kilerbomb

My question is exactly as the title states. Is there any way I can import my old WMP playlists from an old HDD? My music on my old HDD is spread out everywhere so it'd be nice to just be able to import the playlist.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Playlists just list which songs to play, you'll have to find your unorganised music and put it in your new HDD anyway. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Playlists just list which songs to play, you'll have to find your unorganised music and put it in your new HDD anyway. 

Hmm I thought I might be able to open the file locations from there. Maybe not. This HDD is just so old, it's from a laptop I had about 3 years ago. I never had an extra SATA cable to hook it up with until recently. So I have no idea where my music is, it's certainly not all in one folder. I used to be so disorganized. :P

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

How about creating a playlist and syncing it to an external drive of somesort?

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

Hmm I thought I might be able to open the file locations from there. Maybe not. This HDD is just so old, it's from a laptop I had about 3 years ago. I had never had an extra SATA cable to hook it up with until recently. So I have no idea where my music is, it's certainly not all in one folder. I used to be so disorganized. :P

Are you using both HDDs at once? I'm sort of confused on this.

If you are then you could probably reuse your old playlist. I thought you were replacing your HDD.

It's a good idea to organise your music anyway though, it's just more convenient.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Are you using both HDDs at once? I'm sort of confused on this.

If you are then you could probably reuse your old playlist. I thought you were replacing your HDD.

It's a good idea to organise your music anyway though, it's just more convenient.

Yeah, I had music on that old HDD along with some other files that I wanted to transfer so I just hooked it up as an extra drive. All my music from my current HDD is nice and organized, but going through my old HDD is like going into Lowes for the first time trying to find something really specific. 

I'm not sure how I would go about reusing the old playlist, though. I'm not really sure where they're stored.

Project MiniConsole

If you can access old playlist through wmp, try saving or exporting it. It saves as .m3u file which is basicly textfile reading track order. You can find it by using search and then copy it to new hdd. To make sure that it works, open it with notepad and check that filepaths are correct. Use Replace function if needed.

I'm writing this at work, so I can't quite remember how foobar does it. But there's base folder for music first like D:\Users\<username>\Music\ and below that music filepaths as \Artist\Album\<tracks> . My file organization style ofc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv