What do I need to know about sleeving?

knight_40k

I'm thinking about doing a theme build but I don't know the first thing about sleeving. I am planning to get a new modular PSU such as Corsair AX760 or Seasonic X-something. I am also going to sleeve my case fans, front I/O, and sata cables to match. What size/length/diameter of sleeve/heatshrink will I need to buy?

So far I just know I will need this and plan to buy the other stuff from here as well unless there's a better option.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Sunbeam-Universal-Molex-Pin-Remover-%28Full-Set%29-.html

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I just bought MaxFinder PSU extension cables and they look sexy as hell. Better than most custom sleeving I've seen.

Thanks, that is helpful but he doesn't cover what size of sleeve or shrink to use. I'm guessing since I'll be doing individual wires that 3-4mm is what I should buy, right?

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I'd say, if you're doing individual wires, get heatshrink and sleeve -just- bigger than the cable itself, reason being that the more you shrink it the more brittle it'll get, and the sleeving is pretty much obvious

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

http://de.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve.htm everything you need and its all quality stuff, linus has a video about sleeving

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I would advise against getting that sleeving kit. It is very unreliable and will break easily. Bought one for myself when I was first getting into sleeving and within the first 3 pins I was trying to remove the atx pin removal tool was broken. I would suggest going to Lutro0's website and taking a look there, http://lutro0-customs.com/. With sleeving you really do not want to be looking for the cheapest products as they will just crap out on you. The tools on Lutro0's website are the best and while they are expensive they will not break and last you along time. He also sells paracord sleeving on there in the correct size for you I am pretty sure and there are lots of colors.

My rig: i5 2500k, MSI Z77A G45, Gainward GTX 980 Phantom, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, OCZ ZT series 750W PSU, 1TB HDD, 800D, fully water cooled. I am currently working on modding my HAF 912+ to fit a custom loop, here is the build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165963-project-viridis-water-cooled-haf-912/

I second the suggestions here. View all the Lutro0 YouTube videos. I've tried using both paracord and MDPC. The MDPC stuff looks so nice.

I second the suggestions here. View all the Lutro0 YouTube videos. I've tried using both paracord and MDPC. The MDPC stuff looks so nice.
And maybe practice on an old PSU or some extensions until you get the hang of it. It's not hard but there's a definite method or technique.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Was going to add dont use the modsmart tools as they bend way way to easily. To be honest i got mine delivered and it was bent when it arrived. I got a replacement and within 2 pins it was already bending again. I usually use the old sheet metal bent trick but after cutting myself i thought use a tool.

So my next question is. What tools are people using as im guessing there is a quality difference between them.

Hi,

Was going to add dont use the modsmart tools as they bend way way to easily. To be honest i got mine delivered and it was bent when it arrived. I got a replacement and within 2 pins it was already bending again. I usually use the old sheet metal bent trick but after cutting myself i thought use a tool.

So my next question is. What tools are people using as im guessing there is a quality difference between them.

I had a tool kit but it extremely difficult to depin ATX and PCI connectors with the tools. Then the ATX tool broke and put a hole through my shirt :( . So I switched to a paperclip and it worked perfectly.