Server IP sharing

Anakumulos

Recently, I have gotten a bunch of old PCs from my family that I have started repurposing. Two of these units are old Emachines T3990s from 2004, with a Celeron D 335 processor in each, running Ubuntu Server 14.04LTS to minimize wasted resources. I have begun one to be used as a low-level minecraft server, and was looking to host teamspeak on the other.

The only issue is that, as an AT&T customer in the US, I only get one external IP address to use, and I have that connected to my minecraft box, using both ports 25565 and 22 for the server and SSH respectively.

Is there any way I can configure two server boxes to use the same IP address via bridging? I was going to give the Teamspeak server connectivity by using a short ethernet cable to my minecraft box, since teamspeak doesnt need great speed and since the minecraft box is connected to the network using a WiFi adapter. (Internet > Wifi > MC Server > Ethernet > Teamspeak)

1 minute ago, Anakumulos said:

Recently, I have gotten a bunch of old PCs from my family that I have started repurposing. Two of these units are old Emachines T3990s from 2004, with a Celeron D 335 processor in each, running Ubuntu Server 14.04LTS to minimize wasted resources. I have begun one to be used as a low-level minecraft server, and was looking to host teamspeak on the other.

The only issue is that, as an AT&T customer in the US, I only get one external IP address to use, and I have that connected to my minecraft box, using both ports 25565 and 22 for the server and SSH respectively.

Is there any way I can configure two server boxes to use the same IP address via bridging? I was going to give the Teamspeak server connectivity by using a short ethernet cable to my minecraft box, since teamspeak doesnt need great speed and since the minecraft box is connected to the network using a WiFi adapter. (Internet > Wifi > MC Server > Ethernet > Teamspeak)

Why not just port forward both boxes? There is no reason to have both boxes share an ip. There is also no method.

My native language is C++

Both boxes need to share an IP address because both are for outside connectivity. I am not actually even on the network they are attached to, so I have to connect to them through internet, so therefore, the IP is required. I would be okay portforwarding, but I simply cannot have two IPs.

Just now, Anakumulos said:

Both boxes need to share an IP address because both are for outside connectivity. I am not actually even on the network they are attached to, so I have to connect to them through internet, so therefore, the IP is required. I would be okay portforwarding, but I simply cannot have two IPs.

Why can't you have two IPs? That is literally the point of port forwarding. Just forward the necessary ports to the different machines.

2 minutes ago, Butter1484 said:

Why can't you have two IPs? That is literally the point of port forwarding. Just forward the necessary ports to the different machines.

AT&T only allows 1 IP per internet subscriber. Therefore, the location the machines are housed at only gets a single external IP, only able to be assigned to one machine.

Just now, Anakumulos said:

AT&T only allows 1 IP per internet subscriber. Therefore, the location the machines are housed at only gets a single external IP, only able to be assigned to one machine.

Yes that is standard, but that does not directly translate to only one internal IP. Consider the fact that multiple users can connect to a router. The router itself will have only one IP to connect to the modem, but the router keeps track of which internal IP gets what traffic by using ports. By forwarding different ports to different IP addresses, you can allow external connections to multiple internal machines.

it sounds like either your first server is directly connected to the internet, or is in your router's DMZ. either way this is not a good choice security wise, and does limit you to having only one server connected to the internet (without workarounds).

The proper solution, even in the business/enterprise world, to have multiple servers working off a single public IP is to put all servers behind a router and use NAT / port forwarding on the router. With a router doing NAT, there is no limit to the number of internal IPs you can have. Port Forwarding on the router lets you choose which internal IP should be reachable through which public ports.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

9 hours ago, Anakumulos said:

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

it sounds like either your first server is directly connected to the internet, or is in your router's DMZ. either way this is not a good choice security wise, and does limit you to having only one server connected to the internet (without workarounds).

The proper solution, even in the business/enterprise world, to have multiple servers working off a single public IP is to put all servers behind a router and use NAT / port forwarding on the router. With a router doing NAT, there is no limit to the number of internal IPs you can have. Port Forwarding on the router lets you choose which internal IP should be reachable through which public ports.

Yep, this is how it is done.

Seriously, on your boarder gateway, you pick a port generally between 1024? and 65536, then you tell it to forward all traffic arriving on port X to an internal IP address. So you have 1 external IP address going to many internal IP addresses.

Also, seeing as ipv4 addresses are basically all used, you will want to double check if your on a static or dynamic IP address from AT&T. If you have a dynamic you'd want to look at setting up some sort of dyndns service or something so you don't need to re-learn your public IP every time it changes.