Samson C01U Microphone Review: The Perfect Starter?

Hello everyone! CubePro (aka Seth) here, and today I’m reviewing the Samson C01U Microphone! I’ve started moving towards tech reviews and such because of my background in computers and video technology, and this is my first review! Have a look!

VIDEO REVIEW

TEXT REVIEW

Preface

One of the things I would like to point out about this review is that I have used the C01U for going on three years now, and you can still find it in stores; B&H lists it as the C01UCW, but the model is identical in every way. I have used the C01U in literally hundreds of videos, so there are plenty of samples, even if a few are subpar due to Windows hijacking the gain controls (thanks Microsoft).

Price

A cheap condenser microphone of decent quality is essential to any recording artist or Youtuber who is just starting out on their adventures. Condenser microphones are designed to capture rich, detailed sound, making them excellent for voiceovers and instrumental recordings. The words “cheap” and “quality,” however, do not exactly belong in the same sentence, and that is part of what makes the Samson C01U such a great microphone for me. The base package is $50 USD, and you get the microphone, carrying bag, mount, stand, and USB cable; in other words, everything you need to get started. You can also purchase an extended package priced anywhere from $100-$150 USD, and that will give you a pop filter, a larger (but still compact) desktop stand, and a shock mount. The more expensive variants may include a padded carrying case and software.

Quality

Quality is something rather rare among cheaper microphones (granted, most cheap microphones aren’t built for quality sound capture). The Samson C01U stands out with a full-metal casing and a certain weight that feels incredibly solid when you lift it. I was actually surprised by the heft of the microphone when I first got it. I expected the device to be a lot smaller than it was. There is nothing particularly special about the USB cable they give you other than to say that it works. The microphone is compatible with both Mac OS and Windows, making it an ideal choice for consumers and enthusiasts alike, from your basic laptop Skype-er to the professional video creator.

The sound quality on this microphone is excellent. According to B&H Photo Video, the microphone has a frequency response range from 20Hz – 18kHz and uses a hyper-cardioid pickup pattern. I found the bass tones to be slightly lacking in my captures, but that is always fixable with a small boost in post-production, and in most cases it is barely noticeable. The C01U has excellent sound capture, comparable even to the Blue Yeti, which costs over double the C01U’s base price. I’ve used the microphone for three years, and the only audio issues I can detect are a result of the auto-gain adjustments that Windows (or certain capture programs) will make to the microphone, so it is best to disable those and find the setting that works for you.

Any Issues?

Because this is a $50 microphone, Samson gives you everything they can for $50. That means, of course, that you are a little left out compared to the Blue Yeti’s 1/8” monitoring port, gain adjustment, and selectable pickup patterns, none of which can be found on the C01U. However, those are the only minor gripes about this product, and honestly don’t count much against the device considering the affordable cost.

Conclusion

The Samson C01U is an excellent starting microphone for anyone looking to improve how they sound in voiceovers and Skype calls. I cannot tell you how many times clients, professionals, and co-workers have commented on the clean, crisp sound that this microphone captures when I talk with them online. It might lack in some of the extra features that more expensive microphones have, but the C01U makes up for it all with excellent sound and build quality. Mine still looks as new as the day I pulled it out of the box, and three years later I still do not feel like I need to replace it. If you need a great microphone under $100, this is definitely one of the best options out there.

Thanks for reading (and watching), and until next time, I'll catch you later!

- CubePro (Seth)

13 minutes ago, Cubical Productions said:

It should be noted, however, that the Blue Yeti is exclusive to Windows, and lacks the cross-OS compatibility that the C01U possesses.

Whut

the yeti works on OSX, Linux, heck I have used it on my iPad with a USB adapter

I do agree the CU01 is a great microphone, and a great first mic

I would say if somebody can afford more, to skip the yeti, and look at the rode podcaster, as this is a great dynamic microphone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Whut

the yeti works on OSX, Linux, heck I have used it on my iPad with a USB adapter

I do agree the CU01 is a great microphone, and a great first mic

I would say if somebody can afford more, to skip the yeti, and look at the rode podcaster, as this is a great dynamic microphone

Looking off of the B&H page for the yeti. It says Windows only, but I will go ahead and update the information. Thank you!

Also, I totally agree with you about going for the yeti. Once again, however, I started off pretty much dirt cheap, and the yeti (from my experience) is beyond what most people starting out on YouTube can afford, and I've talked to my fair share of them.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 minute ago, Cubical Productions said:

SNIP

I would go off the official page not B&H :D

thats probably because most people starting out are like 12 and have no job :P

Personally I dont like the yeti and want to upgrade to an electro-voice re320

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I would go off the official page not B&H :D

thats probably because most people starting out are like 12 and have no job :P

Personally I dont like the yeti and want to upgrade to an electro-voice re320

Right on all points. Usually B&H has accurate info, but I'll definitely look at the official pages for future reviews. Most kids starting out are really young these days.