[Sorry if Clickbait] Need some information about this issue I'm having

Headshot_

Hey guys! I upgraded to a 100mbps line and I'm SUPER excited.

However there's something odd going on. I connected my laptop using ethernet and it gave me ~91-92 mbps which is normal, you can't really get 100% what you pay for.

I bought a new router since my old one didn't support fiber connections. It has a 5ghz mode. Awesome let me try it out. Unfortunately, nothing but my phone is compatible with 5Ghz wireless. Oh well let's try it on my phone. 

So I did and I was blown away I was getting around 65 to 80mb/s. What an upgrade from 3.5 mb/s :P

My mom tells me to try it on the laptops and well, it went to shit from there. I tried it on my laptop and inconsistency galore! I got 16mb/s, had a panic attack, tried it again and the max speed I got was 50mb/s 

On my mom's laptop I could only pull 46mb/s 

I figured it had to be due to 2.4ghz right? I tried it on my phone and it was in the 45 to 60 mb/s range. 

I came up with a few conclusions. All the laptops in our house have utter crap NICs or there's some amount of interference (router is set to auto channel mode atm) because my phone is using the fast internet perfectly. Easy 1080p streaming. But the laptops are so inconsistent, it's weird as hell.

So are the NICs bad or is my router not set up right. Because 5Ghz works like a dream! P.S. I've set my 802.11 mode to n so it shouldn't be a problem. My router is a DLINK AC750. It comes with 3 antennae. 

I'm not even going to bother with the PS4 since it's NIC is total shit and I'm lucky to pull above 10mb/s on it. 

Can anyone shed light on my "issue" because it's not the ISPs fault. 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

2.4 is A LOT slower, it always has been, I get a max of 20mbps on my 2.4 band with my laptop and 80+mbps on the 5.0 band. You could always upgrade your devices with the Intel 7260 dual band AC, I did with 6 of my PCs (3 towers and 3 laptops) and haven't looked back.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

2.4Ghz can go up to 450Mbps on some routers. 5Ghz is not always better especially over a longer distance and through obstacles.

If your phone is doing better than the laptops on both bands then its just their NICs that suck.

To fix that just get a good USB dongle

OK thanks a lot :) glad to know it was a bad NIC and not a prob with the isp

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

50 minutes ago, Headshot_ said:

Hey guys! I upgraded to a 100mbps line and I'm SUPER excited.

However there's something odd going on. I connected my laptop using ethernet and it gave me ~91-92 mbps which is normal, you can't really get 100% what you pay for.

I bought a new router since my old one didn't support fiber connections. It has a 5ghz mode. Awesome let me try it out. Unfortunately, nothing but my phone is compatible with 5Ghz wireless. Oh well let's try it on my phone. 

So I did and I was blown away I was getting around 65 to 80mb/s. What an upgrade from 3.5 mb/s :P

My mom tells me to try it on the laptops and well, it went to shit from there. I tried it on my laptop and inconsistency galore! I got 16mb/s, had a panic attack, tried it again and the max speed I got was 50mb/s 

On my mom's laptop I could only pull 46mb/s 

I figured it had to be due to 2.4ghz right? I tried it on my phone and it was in the 45 to 60 mb/s range. 

I came up with a few conclusions. All the laptops in our house have utter crap NICs or there's some amount of interference (router is set to auto channel mode atm) because my phone is using the fast internet perfectly. Easy 1080p streaming. But the laptops are so inconsistent, it's weird as hell.

So are the NICs bad or is my router not set up right. Because 5Ghz works like a dream! P.S. I've set my 802.11 mode to n so it shouldn't be a problem. My router is a DLINK AC750. It comes with 3 antennae. 

I'm not even going to bother with the PS4 since it's NIC is total shit and I'm lucky to pull above 10mb/s on it. 

Can anyone shed light on my "issue" because it's not the ISPs fault. 

First and foremost a router doesn't matter what kind of internet you have.  Your modem on the other hand, is the piece of equipment that converts your ISP's signal to a regular RJ-45 Ethernet connection that you (typically) plug into your router or computer.

Moving on, a 100Mbps connection means about 12MBps download.  Which means you will HAVE to have at the very least a Wireless N (full draft) router and adapter if you want to get it to work on a wireless connection.

Now, lets look into this with a realist point of view.  Most of your notebooks that are produced today, come with "Built in WiFi", which isn't necessarily "Built in" its almost always a PCI-I 1x add-in card.  And if you're a manufacture, like Dell or HP, would you spend $50 on a good adapter (of which 90% of people would never use more than 10% of its capabilities), or would you spend $10 on a average adapter that supports transfers that double the average internet speed in America?  And further more, do you know what kind of speeds (or even what kind of wireless draft) your adapters are?  If you have a Wireless N 150Mbps adapter, you're only going to see 75Mbps over that connection (75 up and 75 down to make the full 150), and that is with a perfect signal.

The rule of thumb is 100% signal strength equals 100% of the speed.  90% of the signal strength equals 80% of the speed.  80% of the signals strength equals 75%...  and so on.  Anything below about 30% signal strength will result in occasional drop outs.

Getting to my point, if you're getting 50Mbps on a wireless network, its really not that bad as long as you haven't spent a bunch of money on your network devices.  That's about right for most OEM computers.

Reason why your 5Ghz band probably works better is because that adapter is probably a higher quality.  I personally wouldn't worry about it so much, I mean are you really going to saturate your 100Mbps connect on just ONE computer?  The idea of a 100Mbps connection (at least to me) is so you can have several computers doing several things {one watching Netflix, the other gaming, and another browsing CNN} and no one on the network notices a hitch.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

5 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

First and foremost a router doesn't matter what kind of internet you have.  Your modem on the other hand, is the piece of equipment that converts your ISP's signal to a regular RJ-45 Ethernet connection that you (typically) plug into your router or computer.

Moving on, a 100Mbps connection means about 12MBps download.  Which means you will HAVE to have at the very least a Wireless N (full draft) router and adapter if you want to get it to work on a wireless connection.

Now, lets look into this with a realist point of view.  Most of your notebooks that are produced today, come with "Built in WiFi", which isn't necessarily "Built in" its almost always a PCI-I 1x add-in card.  And if you're a manufacture, like Dell or HP, would you spend $50 on a good adapter (of which 90% of people would never use more than 10% of its capabilities), or would you spend $10 on a average adapter that supports transfers that double the average internet speed in America?  And further more, do you know what kind of speeds (or even what kind of wireless draft) your adapters are?  If you have a Wireless N 150Mbps adapter, you're only going to see 75Mbps over that connection (75 up and 75 down to make the full 150), and that is with a perfect signal.

The rule of thumb is 100% signal strength equals 100% of the speed.  90% of the signal strength equals 80% of the speed.  80% of the signals strength equals 75%...  and so on.  Anything below about 30% signal strength will result in occasional drop outs.

Getting to my point, if you're getting 50Mbps on a wireless network, its really not that bad as long as you haven't spent a bunch of money on your network devices.  That's about right for most OEM computers.

Reason why your 5Ghz band probably works better is because that adapter is probably a higher quality.  I personally wouldn't worry about it so much, I mean are you really going to saturate your 100Mbps connect on just ONE computer?  The idea of a 100Mbps connection (at least to me) is so you can have several computers doing several things {one watching Netflix, the other gaming, and another browsing CNN} and no one on the network notices a hitch.

Thanks a lot for the info :) you cleared just about every doubt I have. Thanks a ton again!

6 minutes ago, Headshot_ said:

Thanks a lot for the info :) you cleared just about every doubt I have. Thanks a ton again!

If you want advice on anything else just let me know.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE