sharing ethernet connection

Boyce05

hey, I am just at a lan party right now and I was wondering if anyone knew how to share ethernet to ethernet as my previous attempts have been unsuccessful. If anyone has any helpful advice please leave a comment.

I don't really get what you're asking. Share ethernet to ethernet? Like, connect two PCs directly? 

today you can pretty much just connect all the computers to the same switch with regular ethernet cables and it should work. older pcs might need a crossover cable

maybe your pc isnt automatically setting an ip address correctly try to manually set the ip so all the blocks except the last one has to be identical with other pcs on the network and the last block of numbers of the ip needs to be unique.

for example if another pc on the network's ip is 192.168.1.4 then you should set your ip to 192.168.1.xxx and replace the xxx to a unique number anywhere from 0-255 and make sure you dont share that number with any other computer there 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I don't really get what you're asking. Share ethernet to ethernet? Like, connect two PCs directly? 

i mean he is connected to ethernet, i plugged a cable into his pc and into mine but i cant seem to share the interwebs

I one has wifi and lan you can use the "Internet connection sharing" to connect lan to lan to provide the other pc with a network connection.

2 minutes ago, Boyce05 said:

i mean he is connected to ethernet, i plugged a cable into his pc and into mine but i cant seem to share the interwebs

if its lan then you are probably not connected to the internet just to the local network. meaning your computers can communicate with each other as you are connected to each other but none of you are connected to the internet 

1 minute ago, Boyce05 said:

Well, it's because that's not really how NICs are designed to work. They can be made to work like that through software configuration, but it can be a pain to get working from what I understand. 

A simple switch would be a much better solution. 

9 minutes ago, Boyce05 said:

hey, I am just at a lan party right now and I was wondering if anyone knew how to share ethernet to ethernet as my previous attempts have been unsuccessful. If anyone has any helpful advice please leave a comment.

What is your specific router

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Well, it's because that's not really how NICs are designed to work. They can be made to work like that through software configuration, but it can be a pain to get working from what I understand. 

A simple switch would be a much better solution. 

nowadays it should be fairly plug and play. when me and my friends want to have a lan party i just bring out a ethernet switch and we all connected our computers and it works without any problems so normally it isnt hard at all. 

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

nowadays it should be fairly plug and play. when me and my friends want to have a lan party i just bring out a ethernet switch and we all connected our computers and it works without any problems so normally it isnt hard at all. 

maybe its because its straight from a pc to pc

3 minutes ago, Boyce05 said:

maybe its because its straight from a pc to pc

so this is a two person lan. Ive shared files between computers just plugging them together without problems. try manually setting one of the pc's ip to 192.168.1.1 and the other to 192.168.1.2 how old are the computers btw if one of the computers is really old then you are probably trying to use a patch cable and you need a crossover cable

Just now, spartaman64 said:

so this is a two person lan. Ive shared files between computers just plugging them together without problems. try manually setting one of the pc's ip to 192.168.1.1 and the other to 192.168.1.2 how old are the computers btw

Also set the subnet the same 255.255.255.0

I have not done this in an age but I think you still need a crossover cable to do this without a switch or router.

EDIT: Nope checking sources says any modern nic should automagically detect and switch things up for you. (modern in this = post 2005/6)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

1 minute ago, GzeroD said:

I have not done this in an age but I think you still need a crossover cable to do this without a switch or router.

for old computers yes but I find for newer computers a patch cable works also

22 minutes ago, Boyce05 said:

Does anyone have a wifi connector or adapter. you can connect to another computer like that.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-WiFi-Hotspot-Using-the-Command-Prompt

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT