GTX780 and a I3-4170, is it worth it?

Entertijnment

Is it worth it to upgrade from a GTX960 (4GB Windforce edition) to a GTX780 (Standard EVGA) with an I3-4170? I plan to upgrade the CPU fairly soon, but let's just say I am not upgrading the CPU, will it still be worth it?
The 780 and the 960 are about the same price, as I can get the 780 for only €210 and a friend would like to buy my 960 for €190, so a fairly small difference.

The GTX 780 is noticeably more powerful than the GTX 960...i had one up till recently and it's a strong card for 1080p gaming...well worth it +45% performance:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-780/3165vs2164

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

And also, as it will be placed in an ITX build (don't ask me why, long story), will it be much hotter than a 960? And it also should work on a 550W PSU right?

Just now, Entertijnment said:

And also, as it will be placed in an ITX build (don't ask me why, long story), will it be much hotter than a 960? And it also should work on a 550W PSU right?

It will work with your 550 watt, but I doubt even if it is hotter than the 960 that you will start having performance hits, or high ass temps, like 90c+

Oh i just noticed I actually don't have a 550W, but a 500W PSU (Cooler Master 500 v.2). That might be a problem, as the 780 uses quite a lot more power than the 960 I have now, for as far as I know. What do you guys think, is that just pushing the PSU, or would that still work?

Thanks for the fast responses so far by the way!

2 minutes ago, Entertijnment said:

Oh i just noticed I actually don't have a 550W, but a 500W PSU (Cooler Master 500 v.2). That might be a problem, as the 780 uses quite a lot more power than the 960 I have now, for as far as I know. What do you guys think, is that just pushing the PSU, or would that still work?

i3 has a low TDP so around 300+ 54 is maybe slightly below 500, you MAY not have enough, im not sure

4 minutes ago, Entertijnment said:

if people can run a 780 + 4770k on a hadron air's evga 500w gold psu, you probably can too as long as you don't OC

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Thing is that I live in the Netherlands (so we don't actually have Newegg), and I don't think I want to spend the money on a PSU and a GPU upgrade, as I don't really need it per se ATM. 

4 minutes ago, Entertijnment said:

Thing is that I live in the Netherlands (so we don't actually have Newegg), and I don't think I want to spend the money on a PSU and a GPU upgrade, as I don't really need it per se ATM. 

Here is the netherlands link it is a but more though. 

http://www.newegg.com/global/nl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014&cm_re=600w_psu-_-17-438-014-_-Product

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

13 minutes ago, Entertijnment said:

I´d be a little careful about the psu. I don´t think it´s very high quality. 

As other members said, it's worth to get 780 card.

edit: that PSU might be a problem afterall ... just checked specifications on web and that realy doesn't look like stable PSu for 780 GPU

You need PSU that have 2x 8pin for GPU ... if it have that, it should be able to deliver neccessery power for your GPU.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I´d be a little careful about the psu. I don´t think it´s very high quality. 

It isn't 80 plus certified.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

6 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

It isn't 80 plus certified.

Efficiency =/= Quality. That being said, the fact that it doesn´t have 80 plus makes me want to not recommend using it even more.

25 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Efficiency =/= Quality. That being said, the fact that it doesn´t have 80 plus makes me want to not recommend using it even more.

But 9 times out of ten a NON 80 plus certified isn't of sufficient quality. Also in my opinion, Efficiency is a factor in quality.

1 minute ago, Sentryy said:

But 9 times out of ten a NON 80 plus certified isn't of sufficient quality. Also in my opinion, Efficiency is a factor in quality.

Efficiency is just how well it handles the electricity, not the exact quality of the components. @STRMfrmXMN can explain this better than me.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Efficiency is just how well it handles the electricity, not the exact quality of the components. @STRMfrmXMN can explain this better than me.

But in GENERAL Higher wattage = Higher efficiency = Higher Quality components to get that efficiency. Also we are talking about this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171088&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817171088&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt763BRDZx_Xg3-Pv2cABEiQAoDfeGGncETR4dxe9Q7q5DVhXI74rs9ImNroXHzQ2Gi77fBcaAlaJ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds 

10 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

But it isn't, which is why we avoid the EVGA G1/NEX series when the EVGA B2 is better in every way bar efficiency. Efficiency really does not coordinate to quality, ewpecially when, in an effort to reach a certain 80 PLUS rating, some companies will throw electrical performance out the window. Antec's Platinum rated models are one of these.

Check out the guide we have pinned on the PSU/Chassis subforum. Goes over all that. It's also in my signature if you want it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||