What is college?

What is college? I mean I know what it is but to what is it you? I'm currently in college and it's ok. I just wanted to know how many of you here have a degree and even thought it was worth it. I kinda don't wanna be in college lol.

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I am 17 and I started college last week. Classes are so damn easy

LOL I'm 17 too but started classes two months ago. I'm passing all my classes with an A but I'm bored and think it's a waste of time. I'm not impressed or the least bit interested in your comment lol.

1 minute ago, Lonelycat said:

LOL I'm 17 too but started classes two months ago. I'm passing all my classes with an A but I'm bored and think it's a waste of time. I'm not impressed or the least bit interested in your comment lol.

Well thanks! I think.

Dads taking the same classes, we are going to work at Tesla

Just trust me when I say this: stay in college! If it is easy to you, it'll go by quicker or be less of a pain. Don't throw this chance away...please.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

11 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

11 hours ago, Lonelycat said:

First year is a joke (at most schools, not all). The challenge and knowledge all starts pouring in during sophomore and junior year. Stick to it, you'll regret it if you don't.

7 hours ago, Lonelycat said:

What is college? I mean I know what it is but to what is it you? I'm currently in college and it's ok. I just wanted to know how many of you here have a degree and even thought it was worth it. I kinda don't wanna be in college lol.

Just my experience but for me, the degree was not the most important thing to me.  The skill and the connections I made with people in the business and industry world was most important.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Take the higher math courses, higher computer science courses, and more.  First year courses are simple.  It's the later ones that are a bitch.

Lol sounds about right but couldn't someone learn this on their own time? It sounds bad to say but I'm incredibly lazy. I feel like learning things

On the I Internet for free makes more sensthan paying for something I can find online. Get me?

1 hour ago, xentropa said:

Just my experience but for me, the degree was not the most important thing to me.  The skill and the connections I made with people in the business and industry world was most important.

That's kinda what I thought. I feel like it's more connections than anything.

8 minutes ago, Lonelycat said:

Lol sounds about right but couldn't someone learn this on their own time? It sounds bad to say but I'm incredibly lazy. I feel like learning things

On the I Internet for free makes more sensthan paying for something I can find online. Get me?

The whole point of gaining qualifications is to tick boxes that companies like, as it is proof that you know a fair bit about a certain subject. You can't get these qualifications from the internet...

EDIT: Well, you probably can, with a bit of money the possibilities of the deep web are endless 

i5-6600k @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i GTX + 2 x Noctua NF-A14's | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger | 

Corsair Venegance DDR4 8GB | ASUS GTX 970 Strix |Samsung 840 EVO 240GB + 1TB HDD | 

Corsair RM850 | NZXT H440 Black | 2 x Noctua NF-F12 + Corsair AF-140

a school after highschool to get degrees

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

2 hours ago, themaniac said:

a school after highschool to get degrees

And learn about a specialized field instead of a mass amount of generalized information.

The first year is easy at most colleges (most, not all)  @Lonelycat @iamdarkyoshi. It gets harder and more interesting.

4 hours ago, Lonelycat said:

The thing about College is that, it's not about the fact that you can learn much of it on your own for free. It's about being desirable to employees.

If you're applying for a job, and you're self taught (regardless of skill level), and the next person is otherwise the same, but has the degree, they'll get the job over you.

Most companies won't even give you an interview without the relevant college qualifications. It is possible to get through most industries without a degree, if you have on-the-job equivalent experience that proves you're still an expert - but that's ridiculously difficult, and the opportunities are far less. Only a tiny tiny tiny amount of people are able to get through like this - and they're usually older people who were at the forefront of said industry before college qualifications were a thing for it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

College/6th form is so difficult here in the UK. They basically tell you to forget everything you learnt at GCSE and call it BS. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

1 minute ago, asim1999 said:

College/6th form is so difficult here in the UK. They basically tell you to forget everything you learnt at GCSE and call it BS. 

Holy dang. That's so intense

Just now, Whorax said:

A fairly decent waste of time and money unless you're in a STEM field (and you plan on passing and eventually getting a degree).

Lol

1 hour ago, asim1999 said:

6th form, A levels, GCSE...why you UK people have to be so complicated!?!? Can't you just have Grade 1-12th then 4 years of college??? X'O

----

but back on topic...

First semester or year is usually easy just to get a feel of college life.  The jump from yr 1 to yr 2 in difficulty is a noticeable jump. Yrs 3-4 are bout the same. If it feels easy see if (1) you can make money with that degree - if not, switch or (2) If you really want to study that field see if your Uni has an honors program. Both options will benefit you once you graduate.

I did the "stupid" thing of studying something I had a genuine interest (neuro-psych and criminal justice) instead of studying something profitable and harder. Despite having real world IT exp I can't find anything high paying because my non-tech degree doesn't add up to employers. So you decide what is best! ;)

[Disclaimer: I can attempt to get a high paying job in law enforcement but 1. too many weird cop murders and hate recently by me and 2. I'm out of shape :P]

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

10 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If you not paying for it then why not.

Spend time make friends and maybe get lucky (not excuse not to)

And you walk away with better employability.

Do places in the developed world exist where you have to pay for collage?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I have a bachelor's degree in biochemical engineering and am finishing my masters this semester.  

For alot of things you can learn online.  But for my degree at least I can't see someone learning all of this on there own.  Also school was a lot more than just book learning.  I got to use expensive equipment that I wouldn't come close to using without school.  I got to work on some really interesting original research being done at the University.

All in all it added up to alot of experience that makes me look good to employers. You won't be able to get that online.

What's your major?  The difficulty should ramp up alot in the second and third year.  If after your third semester it's still to easy look for a similar but harder major.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I have a Bachelor's Degree in CS and IT (double major), the first year was never meant to be hard. It is there is set everyone up with the same knowledge and get the fundamentals in place. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and the university can't assume everyone has the same base knowledge.

Once you hit the later years, you will see that the content gets better and better.

Just keep going, also remember going back to university/college later is life get harder and harder.

22 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Then you're in the wrong classes

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

12 hours ago, Whorax said:

A fairly decent waste of time and money unless you're in a STEM field (and you plan on passing and eventually getting a degree).

No it isn't a waste of money. Not so long as jobs consider a college background highly favorable to a GED or a diploma, and little experience they can or cannot validate without taking a risk in hiring you.

Curious though...have you been to college?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

9 hours ago, Albatross said:

No it isn't a waste of money. Not so long as jobs consider a college background highly favorable to a GED or a diploma, and little experience they can or cannot validate without taking a risk in hiring you.

Obviously it's much more important in STEM, but you're right. It's still important in the professional arts industries, like Law, Criminal investigation, etc, many of the arts, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, Albatross said:

I'm currently in college now pursuing an Aerospace Engineering degree.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))